Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:00 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times

Advertisements

I knew someone who had two abortions. I believe the term she used was 'bumped it off.' I think this kind of language is only used to distance yourself from reality in order to reconcile it. I don't think the stigma should be removed at all, but this is the natural course of things when it comes to pushing moral boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is no difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion. Pick your newspeak euphemism.
Yeah, what's the difference? Do they give you less time in prison if you say you're sorry you did it and not condone murder or if you laugh in court and tell the judge you'll murder again if you get the opportunity?

I guess maybe they would shave a few years off for the right attitude but murder is murder.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Sorry. I misunderstood your point.

But the thing is that someone with her attitude is actually doing Pro-Choice supporters a great disservice. By trying to destigmatize abortion by writing that article; she actually makes women who have had an abortion come off as looking worse. The entire article makes her seem extremely immature and self-centered. It's a story where a 30 year old woman who is acting like a 14 year old who does the world a favor by not breeding.

I am not even talking about the abortion per se, but a grown woman who throws her urine soaked pregnancy test on the coffee table, who steals her pregnancy test, brags about a pregnancy that she'll be terminating. She is basically the type of woman that women who have had abortions try to distance themselves from.
Yes, that's all true. But she doesn't care what we think and she wants us to know it. She's writitng from a position of strength in the abortion debate. She believes there is no chance of the right to abortion on demand ever being taken away. So she feels free to rub our noses in the stench of her life. It's a way of proclaiming that our condemnation doesn't matter, because we have no power over her life decisions.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
50% of all abortion-seekers have had at least one previous abortion. This is proof that abortion is being used as a form of birth control. That's absolutely despicable.

Make a mistake, get pregnant/get someone pregnant, have an abortion, and learn from your mistake. To do it twice or more? You are one irresponsible, piece of crap human being at your very core.

Induced Abortion in the United States

Guttmacher is/was the research arm of Planned Parenthood by the way.
your link says 1.7% of women have an abortion, so at best, you are talking about .08 percent of women using it as birth control. And the reason I say at best is because it is very possible that the numbers in your study are about the number of abortion and not actually the number of women involved( a women can have multiple abortions in one year).

But again, at best, you are talking about less than 1 in every 100.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
I see a whole bunch of prisons that need some real late term abortions

Have an abortion and save the rest of us from having to pay for and deal with an unwanted criminal.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
your link says 1.7% of women have an abortion...
...in any given year, not in their lifetime. Big difference.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...in any given year, not in their lifetime. Big difference.
Exactly. I was just about to say that. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-24-2015 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters

Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
I walked into his bedroom, which was dark except for some afternoon sun creeping through the blinds, and I remember the dust lazily dancing in the beams of light. He was in his bed, hiding most of his face. He watched me take off my shoes, and we each willed time to move slowly because we knew that once the silence ended nothing would ever be the same. He is not old, but in that moment he looked old, and he looked sad, and I felt sort of sad for the first time. I slid into bed, which is the best place for this sort of moment to unfold between two people, and I kissed him. I told him that I was pregnant even though I didn’t need to. He sighed, and a few tears came out of his eyes.

Are you freaking kidding me? Who writes like that on such a subject as their own abortion?

If people believe this was written from the heart of someone who actually had an abortion, I have a bridge to sell you.

This is obviously a professional writer who is quite proficient at authoring fiction. I wouldn't be surprised to find it was penned by a man.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Pro-Choice Versus Pro-Abortion

The decision on any pregnancy should rest with the one who is pregnant.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:28 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
1. The abortion rate is still going down. See here, and then here.

2. As are teen pregnancies, see here.

3. The right kinds of people are having abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies