Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times

Advertisements

Over the past two days a Twitter campaign called #ShoutYourAbortion has come to my attention. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the campaign it is a campaign with the goal of destigmatizing abortion by getting women to Tweet their abortion stories on social media. Ideally phrased in as much smug as 140 characters will allow.

My personal theory is that this is actually an elaborate ploy by some of the supporters like Clementine Ford and Lindy West to try to fool the public that they actually found men willing to have sex with them.

Anyway...

Nobody asked for it, but this is my opinion on abortion.

I am extremely pro-choice, but slightly ambivalent towards abortion itself. My view can be compared to cannibalism in extreme circumstances where it is a matter of survival.

Let's say your plane has crashed into a barren mountain. There are you and several other survivors, but most people on the plane have been killed. Now, help is coming, but not for a long time. There is no food, but there are the frozen bodies of your fellow passengers. Now, it is perfectly sensible for you to eat their bodies in the meantime to survive. Is it pleasant? No. Is it--no pun intended--in good taste? No. Is it something you should be ashamed of? No.

You did what you needed to do in that situation.

I consider extreme pro-lifers to comparable to "You are a revolting ghoul! You should have painfully starved to death! You're no different than a serial killer or some savage tribal cannibal!" Which is absurd. Given the situation there wasn't much choice and it is easy for someone who wasn't in that situation to call names and sport a disapproving frown, but they weren't in your shoes.

However, there would be some people who wouldn't just be sympathetic to your survival, but almost fetishize the act of cannibalism itself. Instead of recognizing that it is an inherently unpleasant act; they would proudly proclaim that cannibalism was not only necessarily, but f--king awesome. They would mock anything less than orgasmic glee towards cannibalism and argue that it is just "a lump of dead flesh". They would also be quite frankly offended at the idea that there might be a time and a place for cannibalism and that there might be cases that where outside of extreme situations it comes off as needlessly macabre.

While they would have a point that eating a corpse isn't the same thing as killing someone and eating the body, but the caviler attitude towards the act would speak more than the act itself. And such a flippant attitude would actually justify the suspicions of those opponents who claim the worst about the character of their adversaries.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
My abortion made me happy: The story that started the #shoutyourabortion movement - Salon.com

Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 AM

And?

Like I said, I have no problem with the choice to have an abortion nor do I expect women to feel guilty for it. I know a few who have told me about their abortions (and likely many more who haven't told me) and the opinion ranges from regret to "I did what needed to be done".

Not my life. Not my body. Not my decision.

However, the whole "My abortion ******* rocked!" sentiment leaves a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people and even though it's their right to have one and it's their right to celebrate it; it still comes across as narcissistic and morbid.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-24-2015 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
However, the whole "My abortion ******* rocked!" sentiment leaves a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people and even though it's their right to have one and it's their right to celebrate it; it still comes across as narcissistic and morbid.
It is their right, but it is a revolting mindset. They're celebrating the fact that they killed their own child in utero. How would #ILoveBeatingMyKids go over? They're not your kids, so your opinion is irrelevant.

Planned Parenthood has an awards ceremony (the Maggies, ugh) to recognize members of the media who advocate for their cause. They gave a Slate writer an award this year for her article "Why I'm Pro-Abortion". Not pro-choice, pro-abortion. In their inner circle, they have no shame in hiding what they really believe . Even a lot of pro-choice people are getting a bad taste for hardline abortion activists.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-24-2015 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
And?
... you didn't post a link to the story, so I did.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
50% of all abortion-seekers have had at least one previous abortion. This is proof that abortion is being used as a form of birth control. That's absolutely despicable.

Make a mistake, get pregnant/get someone pregnant, have an abortion, and learn from your mistake. To do it twice or more? You are one irresponsible, piece of crap human being at your very core.

Induced Abortion in the United States

Guttmacher is/was the research arm of Planned Parenthood by the way.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It is their right, but it is a revolting mindset. They're celebrating the fact that they killed their own child in utero. How would #ILoveBeatingMyKids go over? They're not your kids, so your opinion is irrelevant.

Planned Parenthood has an awards ceremony (the Maggies, ugh) to recognize members of the media who advocate for their cause. They gave a Slate writer an award this year for her article "Why I'm Pro-Abortion". Not pro-choice, pro-abortion. In their inner circle, they have no shame in hiding what they really believe . Even a lot of pro-choice people are getting a bad taste for hardline abortion activists.
In all fairness, beating your children is both illegal and something there is a very broad consensus against.

Abortion is legal and there is a HUGE range of opinion as to what the legality, acceptance, and moral implications of the practice should be.

I am ambivalent towards Planned Parenthood itself. I disagree with the mindset a lot of their members seem to have, but I also know that a lot of conservative groups tend to use some very selective quotes and clips taken out of context.

Like that Planned Parenthood video where it showed two abortion doctors discussing the sale of fetal tissue. They edited out the parts where they mention that the tissue is sold at cost and not for profit and also cut down other parts that made them seem a lot more cold blooded than they really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
... you didn't post a link to the story, so I did.
Sorry. I misunderstood your point.

But the thing is that someone with her attitude is actually doing Pro-Choice supporters a great disservice. By trying to destigmatize abortion by writing that article; she actually makes women who have had an abortion come off as looking worse. The entire article makes her seem extremely immature and self-centered. It's a story where a 30 year old woman who is acting like a 14 year old who does the world a favor by not breeding.

I am not even talking about the abortion per se, but a grown woman who throws her urine soaked pregnancy test on the coffee table, who steals her pregnancy test, brags about a pregnancy that she'll be terminating. She is basically the type of woman that women who have had abortions try to distance themselves from.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
I don't need to hear about this desperate "campaign" to know about the people running it. One woman described her abortion as "a great experience." Among the signs carried were those that read I [heart] abortion (carried by a male imbecile....I bet he loves them) and Abortions Rock.

We're doomed.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
50% of all abortion-seekers have had at least one previous abortion. This is proof that abortion is being used as a form of birth control. That's absolutely despicable.

Make a mistake, get pregnant/get someone pregnant, have an abortion, and learn from your mistake. To do it twice or more? You are one irresponsible, piece of crap human being at your very core.

Induced Abortion in the United States

Guttmacher is/was the research arm of Planned Parenthood by the way.
I've read that 28% of women have had abortions. That figure is too high for a procedure that is used in dire circumstances. It's being used as a form of birth control and I don't think that is going to change. There's too much money to be made selling the service and the body parts of the babies.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
There is no difference between pro-choice and pro-abortion. Pick your newspeak euphemism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies