Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
This is just sad. I heard Colin Powell speak many, many years ago in Las Vegas. One of the best speeches I ever heard. He talked about his time with Reagan and had some amazing stories, it was very inspirational. I hardly recognize him now today. He's become the complete opposite of who he was.
I think it's more accurate to suggest that The Republican Party has become the complete opposite of what it was. One only needs to look back to the likes of Eisenhower, Goldwater, or even Nixon to recognize those changes.

I'm well to the left of even The Democratic Party, so I have little concern for the inner-squabbles within the two "major" parties. However, while I've never been a supporter, I can remember when most Republicans actually placed the good of the nation above the advancement of fringe ideologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:46 PM

50,852 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I think it's more accurate to suggest that The Republican Party has become the complete opposite of what it was. One only needs to look back to the likes of Eisenhower, Goldwater, or even Nixon to recognize those changes.

I'm well to the left of even The Democratic Party, so I have little concern for the inner-squabbles within the two "major" parties. However, while I've never been a supporter, I can remember when most Republicans actually placed the good of the nation above the advancement of fringe ideologies.
Your general point, I agree. I don't see how you can put Goldwater and Eisenhower in the same pup tent.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your general point, I agree. I don't see how you can put Goldwater and Eisenhower in the same pup tent.
My reference to Goldwater is due to his vehement opposition to the intrusion of evangelical Christianity into the political arena. He was obviously very conservative on most every issue of his day, but he understood the dangers of bringing those very narrow-minded religious tenets into the structure of his political party.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yes he knows, he's just out there running his yap lying.
Or maybe he knows something about the mindset that operates at the core of the GOP.

[]

Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Colin Powell fibbing? Is the sun hot? I still won't forgive him for Iraq and the UN speech. American soldiers lives don't matter to these guys. The Bush regime has no shame. All of them. Condi Rice and rumsfeld and Powell should all be hiding under rocks right now after leading our soldiers to their deaths. I know the NSA is reading this but I gotta say it. Lol. Brb my tin foil hat needs adjusting.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Attacking their own Party, but you already knew that and are just playing stupid or are you playing?
Unlike Colon, the Tea Party doesn't attack the Republican Party by sounding like race-hustling Democrats.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
For the welfare dependent whites, it`s not the plantation, it`s the trailer parks. They vote GOP.
How do you know how they vote?

Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
He's an old school Republican, back from the days when it wasn't an embarrassment for intelligent people to align themselves with the GOP. And he, like many moderates, would like to see his party return to sanity. As would we all.
You are so far left that your idea of "sanity" for Republicans is for them to simply disappear -- regardless of how their party has evolved over the years.

As for the Democrats, they would never elect JFK today because -- guess what? -- he was against abortion (it was illegal when he was president) and he was against Communists -- even wanting to fight them in Vietnam. There was also no welfare to speak of when he was president. That didn't happen until Johnson entered office.

It's your party that has gone off the deep end, not the Republican Party.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Contrary to what some would seem to want to believe, refugees granted entry into the United States are LEGAL immigrants.
No, they aren't.

They are only supposed to be here temporarily.

Immigrants are supposed to be here permanently.

Quote:
For Trump to state that he would send them all back, pretty clearly establishes that he has no clue about what constitutes LEGAL immigration into this country.
Wrong.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, well, well....look how fast y'all turn against your more independent minded kneegrows if they don't tow the line. Not that I'm all that surprised....that's how typical backstabbing right wingers operate.

Desperate to become "racially diverse?" Yeah...that had plenty to do with it. Because even as you more conservative types were doing everything to keep Jim Crow sacrosanct, you never had any problem sending as many young black males to die in the nation's silly ass wars as you possibly could. Ask Powell; he can tell you all about it.

So yeah...that had plenty to do with it. Anything else?
Sorry if the obvious truth offends you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies