Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:57 PM

42,870 posts, read 26,387,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Recycling, like most pro environment action items are about appearing to be green. No one actually cares if they are green or not, they just need to look like they are to others.
I don't think that's true at all. We compost probably 70% of our trash plus all of our grass clippings and leaves. We don't do it to 'look green' we do it because it's easy and saves us from paying for soil amendments and potting soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 PM

42,870 posts, read 26,387,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In the old days when we had a city dump, a couple of guys made a living hauling scrap metal out of it. When the government got involved, they made it illegal.
no, actually the private companies who run about 80% of trash hauling services made it illegal.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:32 PM

50,985 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Recycling, like most pro environment action items are about appearing to be green. No one actually cares if they are green or not, they just need to look like they are to others.
Not at all. I prefer to recycle. I don't pay any attention to who on my cul de sac recycles, other than to be reminded if it's the week to recycle plastics and glass.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 AM

6,104 posts, read 6,000,830 times
Where to put the all garbage is a very different thing on the Eastern seaboard from Boston MA to Northern Virginia where 75 million people are packed into a strip of land 100 miles wide and about 350 miles long . We have filled up all the places locally with all the garbage they can handle. Our air quality is bad even before you add the emissions from any incinerators and their ash is a toxic material requiring expensive special land fills. New York City had to quit barging out into the Atlantic for dumping since it was beginning to wash up on beaches from Cape May NJ to Cape Cod MA!
NYC's last dump on Staten Island (The Fresh Kills Bay (yes they sacrificed a a bay) ) will be filled up by the 2020s. We are now shipping it to the Appalachian coal fields were there are many abandoned coal mine for disposal. Some of the garbage is even being sent to Southern Illinois for disposal by the same method. The issue of garbage always brings to mind Pete Seeger's little song called "Garbage".

Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 AM

30,342 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I read somewhere that recycling is actually worse for the environment because the processes involved to break down the plastic, paper, and glass pollute more than just making new products.
I will admit that this is one that I blindly followed since it was ingrained in us since we were kids. Can you find what you read that shows that it's actually not beneficial, environmentally, to recycle? I'm very interested in reading it.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,793,873 times
There may be plenty of land available for land fills, but the NIMBY's are just as plentiful.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,299,114 times
I know this will come as a shock to many, but......

....... Some things are more important than money.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Put costs aside.
There is other things to consider here, glass for example. It's relatively cheap to make and the resources are overly abundant to make new glass. There is an energy expense you are using to recycle. If for example if it has to travel long distance to glass recycling facility, it does it not make economic sense and it doesn't make environmental sense either.

Locally my private garbage hauler takes the recyclables for free, single stream. They are obviously getting paid for it by the recycler, the metal, paper and plastics are going to have value. The rest of it, not so much.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 AM

38,649 posts, read 26,430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
no, actually the private companies who run about 80% of trash hauling services made it illegal.

Private companies don`t pass city ordinances.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:39 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,543,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I will admit that this is one that I blindly followed since it was ingrained in us since we were kids. Can you find what you read that shows that it's actually not beneficial, environmentally, to recycle? I'm very interested in reading it.
You can start with the article in the OP (from the New York Times). Here is the link again, so you don't have to look for it:

Recycling is still costly and inefficient. Why do we continue to do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies