Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, sorry but I must say that those words are pretty....I'll say silly.

Black people have ALWAYS worked. How in the _____ could we "assimilate" into "work culture" lol when we have ALWAYS worked.

Sorry about that as you seem like a cool poster but some of the things you say reek of an inferiority complex and exude the idea that you feel being black is burdensome.

I feel sorry for you for that. If that's not what you mean, then I may have misunderstood but that comment and others even in this thread are rather odd IMO in regards to being black and thinking we in any way are seperate from mainstream America when our ancestors have been here longer than most white American's European ancestors. We are reared in "American culture" therefore there is no reason for us to "assimilate."

We are not different from whites or hispanics or Asians in regards to working or American "work culture." And honestly if I were one of those whiny sensitive folks, I would see that as an insult. As it stands, the bold did make me roll my eyes, as did a lot of the conversation in this thread in regards to integration and black people. So many people are so ignorant. It is rather scary how ignorance is so pervasive in our society today.
It seemed clear to me that he was talking about the assimilation of blacks into the white workplaces-- job types, job levels, and job locations--from which blacks had previously been blocked by purely racial rules rather than by education or capability.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:15 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It seemed clear to me that he was talking about the assimilation of blacks into the white workplaces-- job types, job levels, and job locations--from which blacks had previously been blocked by purely racial rules rather than by education or capability.
Partly true. My comment was a response to someone coming up with the old "blacks are lazy", line. It's old and tired.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:28 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I recently had to dump a longtime white friend (or so i thought) because he implied something that let the cat out of the bag.

He came up with the same line when i confronted him about what he'd said...and he went to the "i'd never say that about my black friends" nonsense too. When i told him that he'd gotten a little too comfortable in our relationship to think that he could let such sentiments slip out and NOT get a negative reaction to it, he got angry and defensive.

But it's all good. You live and you learn. We can be all kinds of cool...even like a brother. But there are lines that just can't be crossed.

I generally take the time to try and educate a white friend when they say something that I feel is out of line. That said, I do agree there are some things you just don't do, and since there are some things that I personally would not take kindly if it were said by a white friend, I try not to do those things either.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:33 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My father grew up in a Black neighborhood. He doesn't believe that most Blacks are lazy. I don't allow that kind of excuse. I make differences between regular Black people and hood rats, and I specify it as such. If I want to take about hood rat culture, I specify hood rat culture. I don't go on a "Black culture" rant. George Benson is part of Black culture. So is Richard Wright. Cornel West, Dr. Ben Carson. Techno was originally Black music. Instead of saying "Black culture", why not say "hood rat culture"? How hard is that?

I've lived in the Pacific Northwest, and I did like it alot. I live in the South now. I moved into a predominantly White area in Georgia. There were very few Blacks in that part of metro Atlanta when I moved there. Didn't stop me from getting my house vandalized, twice. Didn't stop me from getting shot with a paintball gun. Didn't stop one of my neighbors from committing burglary.

I don't care where ANYONE's bigotry comes from. I don't allow any excuses for it, period. I look at things in terms of right and wrong.

I will bring this up. I'm Black, and I've dealt with alot of bullying at the hands of many Whites. I've been around Confederate flag flying types. I've been called the "n" word to my face and one kid even made a racially motivated death threat towards me. Do I disparage the entire White population? No I don't. I understand the difference between decent White people, and the trash, and I call it out as such.

You know? I think we ALL have some degree of racial bias in us, however it should be something be are working to eliminate each day. Like you I've had some pretty crappy encounters with whites as well as blacks however I don't generalize all whites one way or my own race one way.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You know? I think we ALL have some degree of racial bias in us, however it should be something be are working to eliminate each day. Like you I've had some pretty crappy encounters with whites as well as blacks however I don't generalize all whites one way or my own race one way.
It is something to strive for each day. Generalizations don't apply to all. Why speak in generalizations? Getting rid of one's racial bias is important.

Trying to excuse someone's racial animosity, it seems baffling. I have a very hard time being understanding towards such attitudes. It is personal for me. I also take a historical perspective. Racial prejudice has shown very ugly results. Judging someone on race first is like declaring someone guilty before proving them not guilty. Behavior is a choice. The race you are born, that is just something you're born.

Making a judgement based on someone else's behavior, and not that individual, that is nonsensical. Judging someone because of their race instead of their individual merit, it's the same thing.

I will say more about this later.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,837 times
Quote:
It is something to strive for each day. Generalizations don't apply to all. Why speak in generalizations? Getting rid of one's racial bias is important.

Trying to excuse someone's racial animosity, it seems baffling. I have a very hard time being understanding towards such attitudes. It is personal for me. I also take a historical perspective. Racial prejudice has shown very ugly results. Judging someone on race first is like declaring someone guilty before proving them not guilty. Behavior is a choice. The race you are born, that is just something you're born.

Making a judgement based on someone else's behavior, and not that individual, that is nonsensical. Judging someone because of their race instead of their individual merit, it's the same thing.

I think all of us make decisions based on someone's appearance initially. But what I look at is how they carry themselves and what kind of clothes they have on, then I go from there.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I think all of us make decisions based on someone's appearance initially. But what I look at is how they carry themselves and what kind of clothes they have on, then I go from there.
This is the thing. One can make the choice to carry one's self in a dignified way. That can be helped. What race you are, that can't help. You are who you are in that aspect.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:07 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:

Getting back to the utility of integration:

As I've noted before, as a Boomer I was born into a segregated society (yeah, I'm sure there is a minority of Boomers who were somehow born into the scanty pockets of racial utopia, but that's by no means the peak of the bell curve).

As a mid-Boomer (1950s), I was in the 7th grade before I even knew a white kid by name. Until I was a teenager, I'd never sat in a classroom with a white kid, never sat in movie seating with a white kid, never swam in a pool with a white kid, never even had a conversation with a white kid.

For older Boomers, that experience didn't happen until after school or even later. It was fairly rare for blacks and whites even to work together as adults, except as a strained manager/subordinate relationship. Even if they were supposedly equals (such as, say, union workers in a Detroit auto plant), the social mores kept them separated (if you can, find the Harvey Keitel/Yaphet Kotto movie "Blue Collar").

And of course, the lack of personal cross-racial experience was even more true for white kids than it was for black kids, who, after all, had to enter the "white world" every now and then as a matter of sheer demographics. If nothing else, we still watched "Leave it to Beaver" on television.

It's much, much easier to inculcate prejudice when the subjects have zero personal experience that might mitigate against it. "All Blacks are lazy thugs" is easy to teach when Billy can't have the experience of a black classmate being an okay kid.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:

The other side of.

One might try and make excuses for one's animosity towards another race. However, by that logic, I could adopt animosity towards people of another race. The question is this. How would it help anything? How would it further things along?

Old 11-30-2015, 10:09 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Well said, what I also see is how an individual speaks effects the way they are treated. This applies to a person with a strong urban dialect or a strong rural one, it crosses all race lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies