Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Here's an article that I just saw posted on Facebook, it will probably make a few heads explode but so be it.

Combat Vets Destroy the NRA’s Heroic Gunslinger Fantasy The last thing a chaotic crime scene needs is more untrained civilians carrying guns.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
If you want to have an honest discussion, then I'm more than willing to engage in that, but don't launch personal attacks against me,
In other words, you refuse to admit this and you have nothing! You don't want to go after something that will have an immediate and considerable impact on the actual deaths...you only want to take the guns...not stop deaths.

Quote:
I have a very low tolerance for that kind of nonsense
That's too bad for you then...

Quote:
I'm being dishonest because you disagree with me..well that's an interesting approach to take. I guess if you have no argument you attack the person you disagree with.
No, you're being dishonest because you are exaggerating or outright lying...and you use emotionally charged terms like gun show loophole when in fact it is not a gun show issue at all. But then you'd know that if you knew more than the MSM talking points tell you.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 AM

477 posts, read 276,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Maybe we should just KILL all the gun owners and let God sort them (us) all out …
WOW. I guess as long as you kill gun owners with any other instrument (that's not 'designed to kill'), you won't be a hypocrite…

Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 AM

477 posts, read 276,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Holding all law abiding gun owners responsible for the fact that a crazy guy can get as many guns as he wants and walk onto any school, playground, mall or movie theater with them. Yes. Absolutely.
Wait, I thought we had laws to prevent that crazy guy with a gun from entering any school, playground, mall or movie theater?

I wouldn't wish you held responsible when another car owner drives drunk and kills someone… just because you're a car owner/driver yourself.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Many other countries allow its citizens to own guns but we seldom hear of the gun carnage that seems to be so pervasive in America.Could it be inherent in the cultural mosaic of the American mind set? if so theres not much one can do to curtail frequent acts of gun violence.Its the nature of the beast.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Since the NRA killed gun violence research all either you or I can do is guess about how many children were killed in drive by shootings in Detroit.
Can't you do some of the research yourself? There are a lot of great resources to determine trends, many are publicly available, like the CDC WISQARS database and FBI crime stats.

Quote:
If one was killed that's too many.
Even one alcohol-related death is too many. Does this mean you want more alcohol laws too? After all, there are almost 3 times as many alcohol deaths.

People need to stop using that line without thinking about what it means...

Quote:
But it's really sad when your only answer to this is to say "well so what if a few dozen kids to die in an school every so often because there are thugs in Detroit killing kids"
Pretty sure this is a strawman. I think his original intent was that children dying are a tragedy, but an extreme minority. The vast majority of killing is being perpetrated by gang bangers, so let's focus on ways to stop that first.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Many other countries allow its citizens to own guns but we seldom hear of the gun carnage that seems to be so pervasive in America.Could it be inherent in the cultural mosaic of the American mind set? if so theres not much one can do to curtail frequent acts of gun violence.Its the nature of the beast.
I have three comments:
(a) "Many other countries" do not allow their citizens to possess an unlimited stockpile of assault weapons.
(b) As someone has said, the second amendment refers to a "well-regulated militia," but who exactly are these militia, since we now have the National Guard and state militias fulfilling this role?
(c) America values the right of someone to own an unlimited number of guns more than the right of someone to be protected from being murdered. That is apparent.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:13 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Since the NRA killed gun violence research all either you or I can do is guess about how many children were killed in drive by shootings in Detroit. If one was killed that's too many. But it's really sad when your only answer to this is to say "well so what if a few dozen kids to die in an school every so often because there are thugs in Detroit killing kids"
Yes …

Why don't the Gun Nuts want us to know what's really happening with Guns in America … ???

Old 10-07-2015, 06:14 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I have three comments:
(a) "Many other countries" do not allow their citizens to possess an unlimited stockpile of assault weapons.
(b) As someone has said, the second amendment refers to a "well-regulated militia," but who exactly are these militia, since we now have the National Guard and state militias fulfilling this role?
(c) America values the right of someone to own an unlimited number of guns more than the right of someone to be protected from being murdered. That is apparent.
My replies:
(a) If you define "assault weapons" as fully automatic rifles identical to the ones the military uses, that's already highly regulated and extremely expensive. The cheapest ones are about $15,000. And there's a 6-12 month wait before gov't approval. That's with the non-refundable $400 application fee per firearm. If you're talking about rifles that LOOK like assault weapons the military uses, then that's purely cosmetic.
(b) The supreme court defined militia. It's also "the right of the people to keep and bear arms", not "the right of the militia".
(c) That's a little unfair, isn't it? It's like saying America values the right of someone to drink alcohol more than the right of someone to be protected from being killed by drunk drivers.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:23 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
"The Onion-America's Finest News Source." LMFAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies