Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times

Advertisements

Gun control people want to ban assault firearms yet knives are used more often to kill people. Why don't they care about the larger number of people killed with knives?

Last edited by Year2525; 10-14-2015 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Gun control people want to ban assault firearms yet knives are used more often to kill people. Why don't they cate about the larger number of people killed with knives?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
Quote:
Gun control people want to ban assault firearms yet knives are used more often to kill people. Why don't they care about the larger number of people killed with knives?
go to: FBI Expanded Homicide Data, 2011

total murders: 12,664

by firearms: 8,583

by knives and other cutting instruments: 1,694

Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
go to: FBI Expanded Homicide Data, 2011

total murders: 12,664

by firearms: 8,583

by knives and other cutting instruments: 1,694
Don't you get tired of demonstrating your lack of knowledge?

Source: the same one you used except I can read.

Knives: 1694

Rifles: 323

Handguns are not classified as assault weapons, neither are shotguns except in very rare instances.

The comparison was between assault weapons and knives. Do you know what an assault weapon is as classified by the FBI?

You tried to sneak in ALL firearms of ALL types.

Some never learn.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...#disablemobile

Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Interesting.

Unless they are in my hand, I keep all our firearms in a safe, unloaded. I have a couple of loaded mags for each gun but I don't keep them in the gun.

Would that meet MA law? What I'm doing seems reasonable enough to me.
Yes, being kept in a safe, unloaded would meet MA law.

Outside of the safe....trigger or cable locks are required.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Remember Rosie complaining about guns. Bashing Tom Selleck in the meantime she had armed guards for her kids.
It's sort of like John Kerry's SUVs. He didn't own them, his family did. Rosie didn't own those guns, they were owned by the guards she hired for her kids.

My guess is BO doesn't own any, but his Secret Service agents sure do.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,864 times
Quote:
Don't you get tired of demonstrating your lack of knowledge?

Source: the same one you used except I can read.

Knives: 1694

Rifles: 323

Handguns are not classified as assault weapons, neither are shotguns.

Some never learn.
Oh, well … For sure, being shot and killed by a guy with an "assault rifle" would be much, much worse than being *wasted* by a fool with a pistol ...

Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Oh, well … For sure, being shot and killed by a guy with an "assault rifle" would be much, much worse than being *wasted* by a fool with a pistol ...
As usual, now you try to switch up. Typical.

Okay though, according to your logic, its better to be stabbed to death than shot right? I can't stop laughing now. You should shut down and restart.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:22 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So how is that gun banning, that's assault rifle banning. Assault rifles aren't coterminous with guns, they are just one type, of many types, of guns.

Let me draw a Venn diagram for you where you can see the assault rifles are just a small circle within the bigger circle of guns.

jeeze louise.
Actually, you are quite wrong. Assault rifles are merely rifles that look a certain way or have certain features. Functionally speaking, they operate like pretty much every other semi-automatic firearm out there.

SO all you are doing is banning a firearm that looks a certain way. Rest assured you've accomplished nothing.

So if you ban this....

But keep this legal, you've accomplished nothing

Why? Because they are both semi-automatic, fire the same exact round, and can accept a 30-rd magazine as well. Other than looking different, they function the exact same way.

How about another example?

The deadly AK-47. Legal to own in semi-auto version. But it's super scary. Ban it!

Ok, i'll just go buy this. Ruger Mini-30

Fires same 7.62x39 round as the AK-47, is semi automatic, and can accept a 30-rd magazine. Popular hunting rifle.

How bout this scary looking setup?? Technically this setup would be banned under a few states Assault weapon bans

Oh wait...that's a Ruger 10-22 that fires 22 long rifle. Put it back into wooden stock and it's a popular rifle for teaching new shooters how to shoot.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? Banning assult rifles does nothing because they are functionally identical to a lot of other firearms out there. All you are doing is banning the looks of the rifle. You've done nothing to improve safety when you can simply buy one of the other rifles out there that is functionally the same thing.

So if you really feel safer knowing assault weapons get banned....I've got some bad news for you. Joe blow would just go trade his AK-47 in for a ruger mini-30.

So lets ban those too?? Well, that Venn Diagram is sure getting a whole lot bigger now. And when people start to catch wind that these other firearms are equally as deadly...well lets just keep the bans coming.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-14-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yes, being kept in a safe, unloaded would meet MA law.

Outside of the safe....trigger or cable locks are required.
I'm okay with that.

My main goal is to make sure that nobody other than me, especially little ones, gets access to these firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies