Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,599,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
It is true that those who support the most restrictive gun controls also own guns.

Why then do all those people not simply turn in their guns and go on record as having done so? Shouldn't they participate in a national "I am unarmed" registry to demonstrate their "I do as I say" attitudes?
The observed fact is indeed that many of us -- probably most of us -- who own guns also favor tighter more effective gun controls in America …

This indicates that the Gun Nut culture is not synonymous with "American gun owners" ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:13 PM

46,328 posts, read 27,171,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Ummm …

"Hands" gripping a "blunt object," say, a baseball bat … ???

BBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZttt ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Nope....Try again....but since you brought that up....blunt object (as you say a baseball bat) killed less than hands and feet....

WOW...what a failure...

Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,599,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
No doubt. I would wear Boots too, if I was spreading what your spreading.

Aha, the "Blue Helmet." Hang on to that. You can wear it when you start confiscating Guns.
I'm still trying to book my seat on one of the black helicopters, but none are available right now ...

Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,171,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
its the obsession of guns that is disturbing at all levels -
You have to wonder about the mental and emotional stability of anyone who is so scared of - and hateful toward - an inanimate object.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I am neither a politician nor a celebrity and I do not have armed bodyguards …

I do favor sensible responsible regulation of guns in America ...
Thank you for self-identifying as one of the "Gun control advocates who do not have armed bodyguards...".

I just don't get how some people feel entitled to force their choices upon others.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Again …

Reasonable sensible gun control laws and regulations are not about a "prohibition of guns" … anymore than licensing and regulating vehicles are drivers are about "prohibition of driving" …

Hello … ???
Comparing firearms to vehicles is apples to oranges, as there is no constitutional right to own and operate a vehicle.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:09 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Quote:
Thank you for asking …

(1) Mental health status exam at time of application to purchase any gun and/or ammo …

(2) Minimum ninety day waiting period to take possession of any gun and/or ammo …

(3) Mental health status exam again when possession is made …

(4) NO private sales or gifts of any guns and/or ammo without the above process, including within families and/or at gun shows …

(5) Mandatory safety training …

(6) ALL guns kept unloaded, trigger locked, in gun safe, with ammo kept under lock and key separately …

(7) Maximum five shot capacity magazine …

(8) VERY severe legal penalties for any abuse of firearm rights/privileges, including negligence …

Those would be a good start, IMHO …
As a legal experienced safety trained private gun owner, I would be willing to abide by all of the above ..
I don't really have a huge problem with those although they need some clarification.

In particular:

(1) Any such exam needs to be standardized and there needs to be a verifiable way to establish that the examiners are capable and impartial. The cost should also be limited. I'm not crazy so it doesn't matter to me personally but I can see these potential problems.

(2) 90 days is too long. What's wrong with 30 days?

(3) This should be brief and limited to confirming that you are not crazy or a hothead.

(4) Same as above.

(5) Not a problem. Training should be required and repeated at reasonable intervals.

(6) I don't see why it's not sufficient to have the guns locked in a safe, unloaded. Why does the ammo have to be kept somewhere separate?

(7) What's wrong with existing law?

(8) Not a problem, although what do we mean by "severe"?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:11 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Comparing firearms to vehicles is apples to oranges, as there is no constitutional right to own and operate a vehicle.
Not to get off track but the 2d amendment does say "well regulated."

Old 10-15-2015, 08:53 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,524,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My guess is that Rosie gets a lot of threats and hate mail from....you guessed it, gun fetishists. She needs armed guards.
Since she isn't attracting them with her good looks it must be her wonderful personality and quiet manner. Don't act like a dog and then complain when they sniff around and you gather flies.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:55 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,524,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not to get off track but the 2d amendment does say "well regulated."
And if you had any idea of context, you'd have explained it but since you don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies