Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times

Advertisements

An interesting read to learn from and think about if for no other reason other than just “because”.

https://medium.com/@DominiqueMatti/w...828#.oej9pld9g

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 01:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
That's very deep and very, very true. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:44 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
It must be exhausting carrying around that much self-importance.

Hopefully it was just her time of the month when she wrote the piece.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:07 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
I stopped after the first paragraph when I realized it was a rant about being a perpetual victim.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I stopped after the first paragraph when I realized it was a rant about being a perpetual victim.
Oh, that's OK. Some people can't handle the truth.

Perfect example:

Yesterday I went to the sentencing hearing for the husband of one of my former co-workers. He had finally pleaded guilty of embezzling $240,000 from a non-profit he worked for.

I went to the hearing, not to support him and his wife, but to see the cuffs being put on him.

During the course of his attorney's statements to the judge pleading to let her client go with just probation (the prosecutor wanted a three-year prison sentence) she made this incredible statement: "...your Honor, there is no reason for this 57-year-old WHITE man to go to prison...".

I spoke with a newspaper reporter afterward and he asked me if I had heard that, and I said I had. We both were totally flabbergasted at the implication that, because her client was white, he should not have to go to prison.

Interestingly, because his attorney was late, the judge heard another brief case, someone pleading guilty. He was a black man, 50 years old, who had not made a payment on a debt. This black man was in an orange jumpsuit, with hands and feet shackled.

Black man: didn't make a payment on a debt; orange jumpsuit, shackled.
White man: embezzled a quarter of a million dollars from a non-profit; attorney invokes white privilege.

Neither were violent crimes.

Oh, and yes, the white guy got the full three-year sentence! I think the judge was just as offended with that attorney's statement as everyone else in the courtroom. It was the highlight of my year, seeing him handcuffed and taken away!

Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Because my pregnancy with my son was plagued with videos of black lives being
taken in cold blood. Because their murderers still walk the streets. Because the
nation sent me a message that my son’s life didn’t matter. Because when Tamir
Rice was murdered I curled up on the bed and sobbed, cupping my belly. Because
my son heard me sobbing from the inside. Because they don’t care about us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
That's very deep...
...deeply disturbed and wallowing in contrived victimhood.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:11 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I just think that it is SO sad that in this day and age, such attitudes are still prevalent. I think we should be WAY past that by now. It's no wonder we still have "race problems" in the U.S.!

And to Fox Terrier's post above about the "white man" remark -- yeah, OUTRAGEOUS!! Too bad the white guy's lawyer could not have been fined or reprimanded or something!

P.S. I do think, however, that she was wrong in saying that "they" don't about us [blacks]. Imo, she was every bit as guilty of generalizing as white racists are.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
By not finishing her article you made her a victim again.

Stop the cycle ya racist!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:56 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
The article in the OP and Fox Terrier's story are a perfect pairing. The first is one person's personal journey in America as a person of color, and the other verifies her observations in the way we, as a society, value and treat people based on their ethnicity. Thanks to both for sharing.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
It’s a story about being judged by the color of your skin and in this day and age not only that but also your economical, religious or political. People in general simply need to get beyond it and judge people without these factors. I am sure if you “look” around you, you’’ see it in your everyday life,,, sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies