Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Does this mean an adequate number of drug users need to be present in the pool? Will this same philosophy be acceptable when a jury is dismissed because there are not enough whites or Asians?
Not enough blonds, redheads, thin or fat people? Where does it end? Does a jury need to be PC? Why was this never a problem until now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 02:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
If he's elected, then I don't care.

If he's appointed, big problem.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:52 PM

88 posts, read 128,453 times
Just reverse the circumstances and you can imagine the outrage. People would be screaming how dare you think a black person cannot fairly and objectively sit on a jury of a white person. The judge is a bigot or is being overly politically correct. Usually the jury pool is made up by a random list from driver license and voting records.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I do feel that juries should be representative of the city and/or county population of which the trial is taking place.

I don't know if this judge has the authority to do what he is doing and I guess we shall see.

But I also believe that the criminal justice system is one which is inherently racist and that a jury of all white people for a black defendant many times have a subconcious or conscious bias and that they may not understand the social conditions that black people in America experience and which can be a major part of a jury trial in criminal matters especially.

I don't think that a white defendant should have an all black jury either for the same reasons stated above and also feel that hispanic defendants and Arab and/or Muslim defendants also should not have homogenous juries.

Juries should represent a community. I don't think that race, ethnicity, or religion should be a primary factor though in selection, but I do think income and geographic residence should be considered for jury pools and should be representative of a community's population demographics.
Racist much?

Lots of people - all colors - aren't meant to be on a jury and it is all too evident.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Racist much?

Lots of people - all colors - aren't meant to be on a jury and it is all too evident.
LOL, how was my comment "racist?"

I didn't exhibit any hate or an air of superiority over any other race.

ETA: And why do you think that "all colors" of people aren't "meant" to be on a jury? What is "evident" about that?

Maybe you are being sarcastic, who knows...

Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Default can't blame Whitey

Perhaps the reason there are never enough black people on juries is because not enough of them have drivers' licenses or are registered to vote. Just a thought.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
No it isn't.
Yes it is.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How many juries have you seen that are all black hearing a case for a white person? Not many (if any)! In all fairness, juries should be representative of the defendant whenever possible. And this doesn't mean a black defendant should have an all black jury. It just means there should be an adequate number of blacks hearing the case.

What if 3 blacks show up out of 25 summoned? The 75 white/Latino potentials will out number any blacks. Kinda blows your case out of the water, right?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
There are a few things that shrink the jury pool that the PC crowd ignores.

* A juror can't be related to the defendant. This can eliminate a significant percentage of potential local black (or white) jurors.

* A juror can't be a convicted felon.

* A juror must be in the system as a local resident.

* A juror can't be mentally ill, and may be exempt for physical disability, or with a statement from his doctor.

* A potential juror age 65 and over may be excused if requested.

* A juror must possess a proficient level of reading, speaking and understanding English. This may be determined by how the form mailed to you is completed and how you speak and present yourself during jury selection.

* It's a myth that you have to be registered to vote to be called. The DMV provides potential juror lists too but, according to the PC crowd, most blacks don't have and can't get IDs (the excuse used to oppose voter ID). If you aren't in the system, you can't be summoned. This is the kink in PC logic they need to address.
^^^I love liberal idiocy.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
No it isn't.

Shabazz flunked social studies in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies