Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Medicare for all seems to be popular amongst the left yet I have seen them make little effort to fully fund Medicare as it is. It is pretty populist to promise goodies but not fund them. How is Medicare for all going to be funded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How is Medicare for all going to be funded?
IOUs, just like the 18 trillion we owe already to debt holders. Didn't you hear there is an endless appetite for US debt? Krugman said so.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
How is Medicare for all going to be funded?
flat federal tax on private land

$14.4t worth of land taxed at 10% = $1.4 trillion , enough for healthcare that is free at the point of service.

a typical $150,000 home has land worth 1/3 of its price, $50k, which is $5,000 / year for nationalized healthcare.

Now watch the Republicans, rentiers, slumlords, and miscellaneous economic parasites sht a brick.

Last edited by le roi; 11-03-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

$14.4t worth of land taxed at 10% = $1.4 trillion , enough for healthcare that is free at the point of service.

a typical $150,000 home has land worth 1/3 of its price, $50k, which is $5,000 / year for nationalized healthcare.

Now watch the Republicans, rentiers, slumlords, and miscellaneous economic parasites sht a brick.

Why? The cost will be passed on to those renters. Businesses don't pay taxes. People pay taxes. Look for a bunch of strategic foreclosesures by homeowneres if such a scheme were passed.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Look for a bunch of strategic foreclosesures by homeowneres if such a scheme were passed.
Not a problem. Foreclosures are a natural part of capitalism. That's how housing assets find their price.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:11 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Medicare for all seems to be popular amongst the left yet I have seen them make little effort to fully fund Medicare as it is. It is pretty populist to promise goodies but not fund them. How is Medicare for all going to be funded?
Medicare as it is, is extremely popular for those that benefit. So if for all, it should be popular for everyone. If it should fly.

It would be paid for with taxes, premiums, co pays and deductibles. Along with a whole bunch of new money created as per texan2yankee.

Aside from funding a war that threatens our nations existence, I see no better reason to create more money.

Of course I am biased. I am a doc that has long since thrived on and enjoyed caring for Medicare patients. And I, my wife, and one of 2 kids are complicated and expensive patients.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
It would take a destructive tax scheme.

Quote:
That would require an amendment to the Constitution.

Quote:

Watch the US go into a major recession, with Millions of permanent job losses.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Medicare as it is, is extremely popular for those that benefit. So if for all, it should be popular for everyone. If it should fly.

It would be paid for with taxes, premiums, co pays and deductibles. Along with a whole bunch of new money created as per texan2yankee.

Aside from funding a war that threatens our nations existence, I see no better reason to create more money.

Of course I am biased. I am a doc that has long since thrived on and enjoyed caring for Medicare patients. And I, my wife, and one of 2 kids are complicated and expensive patients.
My point is that Medicare is woefully underfunded as it is and needs higher taxes just to keep the current system viable.

After a health scare I realize that I, as are most of us, one permanently disabling illness or injury away from having to utilize SSDI and Medicare.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:21 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
I have a feeling le roi is not a home owner.

As bad as the economy has been over the last 8 years, you want to push the last of the middle class (who were fortunate enough to have been able to keep their house) right out the door and into the apartment life they worked hard to get out of.

What a great plan.

The Middle class is NOT the enemy.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:

Instead of creating new taxes, why not just cut out the billions in waste instead?
43 million dollar gas stations, 3.5 million to find out why Lesbians are fat, 1 million to pay for leased cars for our congress people.
Here are some easy ones.
30 Stupid Things The Government Is Spending Money On | MrConservative.com | Mr. Conservative is the top website for news, political cartoons, breaking news, republican election news, conservative facts and commentary on political elections
Its the tip of the iceberg. Do we need 10 carrier battle groups? The F-35?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies