Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
An abortion is between a woman and her doctor and, yes, abortion rights are being encroached on in many jurisdictions. There really is no comparison. If you are a woman and you have an abortion - it has no meaning in my life. You go shoot up a mall or church after drinking one too many and kill someone I love then that will have a huge effect in my life. Best.
Most people who own a gun will never even shoot Bambi let alone shoot someone at a mall or church. The right to own a firearm is very clearly and prominently featured in the Second Ammendment, unlike the right to an abortion. And there are people who constantly try to undermine it.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Most people who own a gun will never even shoot Bambi let alone shoot someone at a mall or church. The right to own a firearm is very clearly and prominently featured in the Second Ammendment, unlike the right to an abortion. And there are people who constantly try to undermine it.
Here are 46 examples in less than a week this month where a gun was discharged accidentally. So, you are correct, most will not shoot up a church or mall (but some will) and many more will have accidents. Bottom line: we are NOT safer with all these guns. I'm guessing that we will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Best.

Good guy with a gun takes out a theater shooter! GunFAIL CLXIII

Old 10-30-2015, 01:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times
Quote:
Here are 46 examples in less than a week this month where a gun was discharged accidentally. So, you are correct, most will not shoot up a church or mall (but some will) and many more will have accidents. Bottom line: we are NOT safer with all these guns. I'm guessing that we will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Best.

Good guy with a gun takes out a theater shooter! GunFAIL CLXIII
Yes, we will amicably have to disagree. Where I live guns are used to fend off four legged animals rather than the two legged variety but they are a useful tool, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So you own a gun, but you're saying people are trying to take it away. Yet, you have possession of it. Which means no one took it away. In other words, you're simply buying into the paranoia of the NRA & cons. Congratulations on not thinking for yourself, not letting facts get in the way & for being easily brainwashed!
actually you are teh one that is being brainwashed by the gun grabber elite. they are the ones demonizing the NRA and gun owners with their lies. they are the ones demonizing the second amendment, as well as the rest of the constitution by the way.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So your argument is not to worry about anything because the other side isn't successful yet.

I bet you are just as understanding when conservatives want to ban abortions.
It's really not a mainstream liberal view to want to ban guns entirely. Most want better gun control, but have no interest in taking guns from people who are safe.

The mainstream conservative view is much closer to banning abortions, though even then, the majority would say limit it's access to severe cases, like rape or illness.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:09 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Quote:
How are you able to hold and shoot a gun if you are suffering from disabling arthritis? The one I carry weighs less than 4 ounces, 22lr, the one I keep at home at the ready, 15ounces, 32 cal, both very light recoil.

Who is trying to take your gun away? Barry O, Hillary C, D. Feinstein, etc. Where do you live that you feel the need to carry a gun to protect yourself? Show me a place there is no crime. Are there lots of home invasions in your area? Yes. Street robberies,yes kidnappings yes? I'm curious if there are real threats to your life. The woman next door was raped. My car was broken into 3 times last year, next door neighbor has house burglerized 3 montha ago. If so, maybe you can move to a better area??? Again, retired, disabled, no money to move.
Hey, if you don't want a gun, no problem. You watch your back, I'll watch mine. I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop, and I don't have armed details protecting me.

Last edited by buddy5; 10-30-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 03:17 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Hey, if you don't want a gun, no problem. You watch your back, I'll watch mine. I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop, and I don't have armed details protecting me.
Thanks for the answers. I live in an area that has a lot of crime. I think my city is in the top 5 most dangerous cities. I take that with a grain of salt. It depends on what neighborhood. Yes, the wealthy areas have crime but like any urban area.

I use street smarts. Like, don't walk down the street looking at your phone, don't wear headphones, look everybody in the eye and be confident, know who is behind you and in front of you and even across the street. Stuff like that. I have pepper spray but not sure that would do any good if it is windy so I don't carry it any longer.Being aware goes a long way in not being a robbery victim. Look up your cities website and see if there are other things you can do to lesson your chances of becoming a victim.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I live in an area that has a lot of crime. I think my city is in the top 5 most dangerous cities. I take that with a grain of salt. It depends on what neighborhood. Yes, the wealthy areas have crime but like any urban area.

I use street smarts. Like, don't walk down the street looking at your phone, don't wear headphones, look everybody in the eye and be confident, know who is behind you and in front of you and even across the street. Stuff like that. I have pepper spray but not sure that would do any good if it is windy so I don't carry it any longer.Being aware goes a long way in not being a robbery victim. Look up your cities website and see if there are other things you can do to lesson your chances of becoming a victim.
everything you posted here about being aware of your surroundings is excellent advice that everyone should follow. however, there some a point where even though you are aware of what is going on around you, you may still have to defend yourself against an attack. now you might be young and athletic enough to defend yourself without using a firearm, and good for you if that is the case. however there are those of us that suffer from a variety of illnesses and conditions that prevent doing that, so we need some help in that area.

for instance i suffer from chronic kidney disease, and i have to be on dialysis three times a week, and that takes a lot out of me. in addition i suffer from diabetes, hypertension, and anemia, all of which tend to sap my strength and mobility. thus i am not able to go toe to toe with a younger attacker who is more athletic than i am, and even though i tend to not give up, i still need an equalizer, and a firearm is just that equalizer.

i dont want to shoot anyone, but i will be damned if i am going to give up my personal defense because some gun grabber decides i shouldnt have a gun for any reason.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I am retired on disability. My wrists, feet, and several other joints are devastated by Arthritis. I cannot run. Physically defending my self is impossible. Because of that, to protect my family, possessions, and me, I own a gun.

I am tired of people trying to take my only means of self-defense. Criminals will not abide by any laws. Most of the people killing other people are not licensed gun owners. I have had training, passed numerous background checks, and stayed out of jail. Why should another jerks lawlessness impede my ability to save myself?
Great story.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Quote:
How are you able to hold and shoot a gun if you are suffering from disabling arthritis?

Who is trying to take your gun away? Where do you live that you feel the need to carry a gun to protect yourself? Are there lots of home invasions in your area? Street robberies, kidnappings? I'm curious if there are real threats to your life. If so, maybe you can move to a better area???
Uh; maybe IF the cops were allowed to do their jobs AND judges would back them up, there'd be less crime in places like what you're talking about. But especially since this "BLM" scam in 2015; people who live in sketchy areas SHOULD be allowed to carry. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies