Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 04:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Could you please enumerate those abuses? Exactly what are they? And who is perpetrating them?
Real occurrences such as these:

Quote:
To put this into perspective, an 8-year-old Georgia boy, Josef Smith, died in 2003 after being beaten and locked in a closet by his parents to pray to Jesus. The parents and their church claimed that the abusive behavior that led to the boy’s death was in line with their deeply held religious tenets.
Quote:
One year earlier, 11 members from a Georgia church were indicted for child abuse after beating a 7-
year-old and 10-year-old boy so severely that the children were left with open wounds. The pastor said this “discipline” was part of his religious doctrine. In fact, he claimed that his freedom of religion was being directly violated by not being allowed to engage in this abuse.
New Religious Freedom Bill Would Allow Child Abuse, Domestic Violence

Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
[quote=eye state your name;41782795]Jeez, just read the actual bill! This isn't a bill by democrats where you have to pass the bill to find out what's in it!

This bill is intended to RESTORE the 1963 ruling by the Supreme Court that requires a balancing of interests test between religious freedom and competing government interests.

Since public safety is a key governmental interests, I am sure that everyone with ANY common sense would agree that the Government's interest is far more compelling than the burden placed on the religious freedom to beat your spouse and children.

It really is sad that the school system has failed our children to such a point that they cannot even engage in simplest act of critical thinking.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-02-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Jeez, just read the actual bill! This isn't a bill by democrats where you have to pass the bill to find out what's in it!

This bill is intended to RESTORE the 1963 ruling by the Supreme Court that requires a balancing of interests test between religious freedom and competing government interests.

Since public safety is a key governmental interests, I am sure that everyone with ANY common sense would agree that the Government's interest is far more compelling than the burden placed on the religious freedom to beat your spouse and children.

It really is sad that the school system has failed our children to such a point that they cannot even engage in simplest act of critical thinking.
Using your "critical thinking skills," tell us what this bill affords the citizens of Georgia, in terms of religious freedom, that they didn't have. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 11-02-2015, 08:47 PM

371 posts, read 258,049 times
1. Its source is occupydemocrats
2.The director of Georgia Equality is stating this...

Not buying it.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
1. Its source is occupydemocrats
2.The director of Georgia Equality is stating this...

Not buying it.
The source is the bill itself. SB*129*2015-2016 Regular Session

Then there is this letter written to the Governor of Georgia.
http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/de...dom-letter.pdf

Quote:
Legislatures around the country are considering new "religious freedom" bills with dangerously broad language that would provide individuals and businesses in many states with an license to discriminate. This letter, which PRPCP helped prepare, explains the problems with a proposed "religious freedom" bill in Georgia, and illustrates the ways in which the Georgia bill, and others like it, should be amended to limit the potential discriminatory impact on women, LGBT individuals, and other groups vulnerable to discrimination in the name of "religion.
Policy | Center for Gender & Sexuality Law | Columbia Law School

Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
When in the land of god(s) follow the rules of the god(s). When in the land of secular law follow the LAW! When your god(s) call for religious discipline that require torturing children, beating wives and sisters secular law has control. if someone beats a child to discipline them that person should be charged and prosecuted for assault and battery in a secular count.

All members of All religions are under secular law when they deal in the secular world in our country. We are a Nation and Society under LAW not under God(s). If you don't like this get out and go somewhere else where your Religion dominates and there is no secular law. Good Luck with that.

I am very sensitive to this because I was beaten as a child for innumerable offenses by a drunk step father that believed I was his property. Eventually, after I grew to adult size, I almost killed the bastard but decided that letting him live was an even more satisfying revenge. Some religions say Revenge is for god(s). Let me tell you revenge was indeed mine and very satisfying.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:20 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I can see worse scenarios with Muslim taking advantage of this.

Advantage of what?

Old 11-03-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This law would protect followers of Sharia law! How does this affect me? We fought the Taliban in Afghanistan. We are fighting against the abuses of ISIS. Are we to be silent about abuse, in the name of religion, here in America?

So you don`t believe the USSC striking down the Sherbert test was a mistake and an overreach?

If so, do you also believe the federal RFRA should have been left as is?

Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Yeah, OK, I followed the link to the original site but all I found there was a repeat of someone saying someone said something without so much as an alleged quote.

Now about that federal RFRA, should that be an individual state matter or should the law stand as originally enacted?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:00 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I sent you the $3,400 filing fee six weeks ago and still haven't received the $6.4 million you promised and said was a sure thing!
There was an additional government fee. If you can send me $4,000 today I can have it to you by tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies