Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Just normal everyday walking around circumstances. I'm in my seventh decade and I have never seen a situation at a Walmart or Little League that I needed a gun to handle.
So what? Just because YOU haven't needed one means no one else does either? How smug and self righteous of you. The vast majority of police officers never need their firearms either, and yet they all carry at least one.

You probably "never been in a situation at a grocery store that you needed a gun" either, but it happens: Concealed weapons permit holder stops parking lot stabbing | fox13now.com

Do you never wear a seatbelt because you've never been in an accident? Don't lock your doors at home because you've never had a break in? Don't have insurance because you've never had an accident?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And NOT 1 thing to back it up. Who did this very "non-biased" ranking?

I like my "stats" better

The United States is 3rd in murders throughout the World.

But if you take out just 4 cities: Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, and New Orleans, the United States is 4th from the bottom, in the entire world, for murders.

These 4 cities also have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the U.S.

ALL 4 of these cities are controlled by Democrats.

It would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data right?

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

"So far in 2015, there have been 307 days — and 318 mass shootings."

Being you seem to have access to pertinent stats. how MANY EXISTING laws were broken in those 318 mass shootings?

And while you are at it, what constitutes, in your opinion, a "mass" shooting?
While I agree with everything else in your post, the gun laws in New Orleans are no different than anywhere else in Louisiana. Because I make regular trips there for fun, I checked out if the city had any additional laws. It does not. There is a gray area about concealed carrying in a place that servers alcohol. It is unclear if it is illegal in places that make the majority of their income from those sales (aka bars) or that any establishment that serves alcohol like restaurants. And since Louisiana is loose on their alcohol laws, even gas stations that serve adult slurpees would be off limits to concealed carry.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
We all have different life experiences, but that is no reason not to be prepared. My home has never been broken into, nor caught on fire. Yet I have an alarm, dog, security lighting, firearms, extinguishers, and fire detectors wired to a central reporting station.

Some people have never been sick enough to be in the hospital or even had stiches, while others sadly
are there on a regular basis. Still I have good insurance in the event I ever need it.
Some people live in high crime areas, others in peaceful suburbia.

I am not as old as you, yet in my life I have had a direct need for a firearm twice. A few other times it was comforting to have one even though it was not needed. So I am sure some people have needed a firearm much more often, and others will never have the direct need. Therefore it is not my place to say one should be mandated, or should not be owned/carried.

Why this simple concept escapes some people is beyond me.

`
Yeah, I keep firearms in our homes and place of business.

However, I can't see the need to lug one around in public places. If you're going to be attacked the odds are that it's going to come out of the blue with no warning. At least that has been my experience. Having a gun wouldn't have made any difference.

In the US we have the right to carry weapons in public places but having the right to do something doesn't make it smart.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,559,016 times
Quote:
Yeah, I keep firearms in our homes and place of business.

However, I can't see the need to lug one around in public places. If you're going to be attacked the odds are that it's going to come out of the blue with no warning. At least that has been my experience. Having a gun wouldn't have made any difference.

In the US we have the right to carry weapons in public places but having the right to do something doesn't make it smart.

Help me out here.

Let's say that you DID carry to the grocery store. You went shopping and then left with no incident.

What is "not smart" about it?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 AM

7,515 posts, read 5,758,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
There are many rights guaranteed by the Constitution. Some not so relevant like back when the Bill of Rights was added, but either way, taking people's rights away is objectionable, yes. Reasoned compromise to balance the importance of those rights with the challenges of modern day society is necessary nevertheless. The striving toward that ideal balance is nothing new and no right we enjoy is immune. Balance is key. Compromise a must.
Not unless you change the constitution as it reads now. Bending and not following the law/rights/rules allowed the Moron in the whitehouse to all but destroy our country.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So what? Just because YOU haven't needed one means no one else does either? How smug and self righteous of you. The vast majority of police officers never need their firearms either, and yet they all carry at least one.

You probably "never been in a situation at a grocery store that you needed a gun" either, but it happens: Concealed weapons permit holder stops parking lot stabbing | fox13now.com

Do you never wear a seatbelt because you've never been in an accident? Don't lock your doors at home because you've never had a break in? Don't have insurance because you've never had an accident?
Well, there's no chance that my seatbelt could inadvertently harm other people.

Unfortunately a good many folks who are just going about their normal affairs get shot by people who don't follow safe storage and handling practices.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Not unless you change the constitution as it reads now. Bending and not following the law/rights/rules allowed the Moron in the whitehouse to all but destroy our country.
Exactly!!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Help me out here.

Let's say that you DID carry to the grocery store. You went shopping and then left with no incident.

What is "not smart" about it?
In my opinion it's much smarter to eliminate the danger of accidental discharge by not carrying in places where I'm at very low risk and where my firearm would likely make no difference anyway.

As I say, people obviously have the right to carry at places like Walmart or the Little league but that doesn't make it prudent. Why introduce the element of risk when it's unnecessary?

Maybe it's because I'm older than dirt but I simply don't walk around in fear of attack. Never have, really.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
There are many rights guaranteed by the Constitution. Some not so relevant like back when the Bill of Rights was added, but either way, taking people's rights away is objectionable, yes. Reasoned compromise to balance the importance of those rights with the challenges of modern day society is necessary nevertheless. The striving toward that ideal balance is nothing new and no right we enjoy is immune. Balance is key. Compromise a must.
The problem is criminals and crazy people who get their hands on a gun. Making new guns laws? As if the criminals will obey the new laws.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
In my opinion it's much smarter to eliminate the danger of accidental discharge by not carrying in places where I'm at very low risk and where my firearm would likely make no difference anyway.

As I say, people obviously have the right to carry at places like Walmart or the Little league but that doesn't make it prudent. Why introduce the element of risk when it's unnecessary?

Maybe it's because I'm older than dirt but I simply don't walk around in fear of attack. Never have, really.
I have never lived in fear of attack either, but I carry virtually everywhere I go. I am 64 and have owned firearms since I was 9 and have never had an accidental discharge. The only discharge I have ever had, my finger was on the trigger. While I understand what you are saying, read the headlines. Attacks are occurring now in places we never would have imagined in the past. You just simply don't know anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies