Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
War On Christmas: Starbucks Red Cups Are Emblematic Of The Christian Culture Cleansing Of The West

This is mindnumbing and proves how deep the persecution complex among many conservative Christians goes. For them to latch onto something this trivial, it also shows how much they enjoy being outraged. Despite what is being spread around on social media, Starbucks still allows their employees to say Merry Christmas, they still sell Advent calendars, Christmas blend coffee, and Christmas greeting cards. The only thing they did is remove the Santas and the reindeer from the cups and have went with a sleek red design. Starbucks cups have never said "Merry Christmas."

How is that persecution? How is that a war on Christmas?

Plus, Starbucks is a secular, private company. Why should they have to bow to the Christian Right?
unlike the left I'm not into getting outraged because someone says I should be. In other words....

It is trivial

Next

Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I don't see this as Christian value thing at all so stop ascribing that to me. Just because they are the most vocal opponents of it doesn't mean the speak for everyone.

I heard about the story in the media like everyone else.
When I read the company's own statements it seems to be they did this to be politically correct and not offend anyone.

What the hell is "reverse political correctness"?
its when you get offended at everything that you ascribe to "bowing to political correctness"
its not "bowing to political correctness" when starbucks chose to do it themselves.
there was no mass protest for starbucks to take snowmen off of their cups.

I'm far from a PC warrior. You make people who criticize overt political correctness look bad when you choose this Starbucks issue as a PC issue.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
its when you get offended at everything that you ascribe to "bowing to political correctness"
its not "bowing to political correctness" when starbucks chose to do it themselves.
there was no mass protest for starbucks to take snowmen off of their cups.
Wrong. A politically correct decision does not need mass protests to drive it

Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Wrong. A politically correct decision does not need mass protests to drive it
Again, you make the stance against overt political correctness look bad. So now you can't do anything that is inclusive without offending people who are offended by political correctness?

I implore you to take a step back and think about this issue. Think about a plain red Starbucks cup in a Starbucks store filled with Christmas decor, christmas tree designs, Christmas Blend coffee, etc...Think about the fact that you are angry over this red cup because you think Starbucks is being too PC.

If you can't see the asinine nature of this, and that YOU are the one being offended for no reason, then debating this with you is beyond reconciliation.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The pastor is an anti-gay, birther, who claims Obama is a Muslim. Hardly liberal.
I don't know this pastor......yet I found nothing that stated this except people hating on him.

Interesting how StarBucks explains their reasoning it's called sitting on the fence.......

“In the past, we have told stories with our holiday cups designs,” said Fields. “This year we wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity of design that welcomes all of our stories.”

“Starbucks has become a place of sanctuary during the holidays,” he said. “We’re embracing the simplicity and the quietness of it. It’s more open way to usher in the holiday.”
Creating a culture of belonging, inclusion and diversity is one of the core values of Starbucks, and each year during the holidays the company aims to bring customers an experience that inspires the spirit of the season. Starbucks will continue to embrace and welcome customers from all backgrounds and religions in our stores around the world.
https://news.starbucks.com/news/the-...-cups-for-2015

Sounds to me like some people were offended and it is not Christians! By the way reindeer, snowflakes and such are not Jesus symbols so why are some offended?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:33 AM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Again, you make the stance against overt political correctness look bad. So now you can't do anything that is inclusive without offending people who are offended by political correctness?

I implore you to take a step back and think about this issue. Think about a plain red Starbucks cup in a Starbucks store filled with Christmas decor, christmas tree designs, Christmas Blend coffee, etc...Think about the fact that you are angry over this red cup because you think Starbucks is being too PC.

If you can't see the asinine nature of this, and that YOU are the one being offended for no reason, then debating this with you is beyond reconciliation.
I'm offended at political correctness and I see this as another example of it based on their statement.
If they just like the color red and plain designs or want to save money on graphic design, I really could not care less.

You spent this argument trying to paint me first as a Christian and then as overreactionary. I'm not. I'm simply defending my opinion.

I think it was a decision motivated by a desire to be politically correct.
You do not.
We disagree.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm offended at political correctness and I see this as another example of it based on their statement.
If they just like the color red and plain designs or want to save money on graphic design, I really could not care less.

You spent this argument trying to paint me first as a Christian and then as overreactionary. I'm not. I'm simply defending my opinion.

I think it was a decision motivated by a desire to be politically correct.
You do not.
We disagree.
What if, rather than taking designs off of the cup, they removed the snowflake/"joy"/tree designs on the store banners and inside decor? What if they replaced that with plain red banners that said "joy", etc. without the trees and snowflakes on them but they kept trees and snowflakes on the cups. Would you have the same stance?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Does this mean I can not have a plain red Christmas tree?

Who finds snowflakes offensive?

How can not having snowflakes on a coffee cup suddenly make it "politically correct"?

Do the same people that get offended over a snowflake on a coffee cup for the season get offended when it snows?

Do they find reindeer offensive? Maybe it is their odor?

Do tell how any of these images are offensive to any single person

Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't know this pastor......yet I found nothing that stated this except people hating on him.

Interesting how StarBucks explains their reasoning it's called sitting on the fence.......

“In the past, we have told stories with our holiday cups designs,” said Fields. “This year we wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity of design that welcomes all of our stories.”

“Starbucks has become a place of sanctuary during the holidays,” he said. “We’re embracing the simplicity and the quietness of it. It’s more open way to usher in the holiday.”
Creating a culture of belonging, inclusion and diversity is one of the core values of Starbucks, and each year during the holidays the company aims to bring customers an experience that inspires the spirit of the season. Starbucks will continue to embrace and welcome customers from all backgrounds and religions in our stores around the world.
https://news.starbucks.com/news/the-...-cups-for-2015

Sounds to me like some people were offended and it is not Christians! By the way reindeer, snowflakes and such are not Jesus symbols so why are some offended?
Just google the guy and you can see all of his crazy rants.

How does it sound like anyone complained about anything. It sounds to me like a company with a wide base of customers is trying to be inclusive of everyone for their bottom line. It's called good business.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:07 AM

369 posts, read 193,790 times
Quote:
What used to be simply being polite though has morphed into this nonsense where even the most benign things can be seen as offensive to someone or some group, so we have to police and sanitize our culture and our language so that the easily offended are not offended.
You, however, are the one offering your offense at a normal marketing decision as some sort of claim on everyone else's...I don't even know what. Attention? Sympathy? What is it you're after, precisely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies