Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am just expanding on your point, unlike pro-choice liberals and pro-death penalty conservatives the Church is consistently pro-life.
Yes, things are not as black and white as the OP would make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 09:36 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Abortion or Death Penalty. Strange how they want one but not the more logical one..

Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
It isn't just "progressives". It's people with a viable moral foundation.

That would explicitly EXCLUDE Progressives.

Progressives don't care about the death penalty. They whole heartedly support the killing of unborn babies each and every day. They don't blink an eye over that.

They selectively oppose the DP for murderous adults because they think they can 'save' them somehow. It's the Messiah Complex that runs rampant through Progressive 'thought'. This, and they're total incapacity for assigning blame and responsibility squarely where it belongs. Their opposition to the DP is really just a psychological trait... all the grandstanding they do on this issue is all for show.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Do you mean "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"?

Or do you mean "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.…"

And then we had the Crusades for history to record.. Enough is enough, to extinction..

The original new world order was defeated!

Old 11-09-2015, 10:40 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
And then we had the Crusades for history to record.. Enough is enough, to extinction..
And I am sure you blame the Christians for the Crusades , huh.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
It seems like progressives want to abolish the death penalty. Why?

Democrats' divide on death penalty emerges as major point of difference | US news | The Guardian
I don't consider myself a "progressive" or even a Democrat, but I'm opposed to the death penalty for various reasons:
  1. It's too expensive. (Mandatory appeals + cost of trying a capital case make it so.)
  2. It is not a deterrent.
  3. Too much room for error. You can't un-execute someone.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
Whoa! That doesn't just sound kooky, it sounds insane. Have you thought that through? What would these so-called Democrat Stormtroopers be doing that you think should warrant the death penalty? Vote for Obama?

You just earned the Tin Foil Hat Award for the day.

Yeah, you cannot see the obvious......many people cannot.

The fact is, Fedgov uses its enormous power to prop-up its regime. The 4th branch of government, the largely unelected, unaccountable and massive bureaucracy is filled with glassy-eyed folks who have a cushy spot and undying loyalty to the fetid and insane oligarchy.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:36 PM

922 posts, read 807,012 times
There is a lot of money to be made by keeping prisoners locked up.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
It seems like progressives want to abolish the death penalty. Why?

Democrats' divide on death penalty emerges as major point of difference | US news | The Guardian
How many people have been exonerated from death row?
Death Penalty and Innocence. Since 1973, over 130 people have been released from death rows throughout the country due to evidence of their wrongful convictions. In 2003 alone, 10 wrongfully convicted defendants were released from death row.
Death Penalty and Innocence | Amnesty International USA
http://www.amnestyusa.org/.../death-...th-penalty-and...
Search for: How many people have been exonerated from death row?
How many people have been killed by the death penalty?
How many people have been exonerated in the United States?
There have been 321 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States. The first DNA exoneration took place in 1989. Exonerations have been won in 38 states; since 2000, there have been 254 exonerations. 20 of the 321 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row.

Well, just maybe these facts have something to do with it!!!!!
The justice system in the USA is so dysfunctional that as long as there is capital punishment, innocent people will be executed.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't consider myself a "progressive" or even a Democrat, but I'm opposed to the death penalty for various reasons:
  1. It's too expensive. (Mandatory appeals + cost of trying a capital case make it so.)
  2. It is not a deterrent.
  3. Too much room for error. You can't un-execute someone.
item 3 is why I only favor it with mandatory disbarrment and loss of jobs in a prosecutor's office for life, for anyone who is found to have sought and won a dp sentence w/o cause anywhere. I'm not talking btw, the gray cases, but those where the dp and conviction are overturned for a shocking lack of evidence.

If we made it costly to err, the dp would be used in the very limited way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies