Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
I don't understand how you aren't understanding. I'm not disputing what you're saying. I'm trying to wxplain to you that those numbers have rationalization that explain why they are the way they are and it isn't just that people who accept benefits are lazy or whatever your bs is. Think cricitally here. What are the differences between the group who accept snap and those who don't?

As for your other point, I guess you don't understand. Snap benefits are almost always not enough to completely cover food costs. So overlapping benefits doesn't inherently mean that they have a surplus of funds for their food budget. Again, you're peeking through a window, not seeing the entire interior of the situation.
Then how are food stamp adults getting so obese compared to their no food stamp poor peers? Hmmm...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 AM

295 posts, read 181,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They do not pay federal taxes.

I realize liberals are math-challenged, but here are the facts:

2015:

Federal Income Tax Units(1): 171.3 million
Federal Income Tax Payers(3): 93.8 million

(1) Excludes those who are dependents of other tax units
(3) Tax filers with federal individual income tax of over $5

A tax unit is an individual, or a married couple, who file a tax return jointly, along with all dependents of that individual or married couple.

Tax Units with Zero or Negative Individual Income Tax:

77.5 million. 45.3% of all tax units.

Tax Units with Zero or Negative Sum of Income and Payroll Taxes:

46 million. 26.9% of all tax units

T15-0138 - Tax Units with Zero or Negative Income Tax - Tax Policy Center

This will probably come as a surprise to some: About 27% of all tax units pay NO Federal Income Tax AND NO Payroll Taxes on their earnings. That's almost always due to the various refundable tax credits offsetting them both.

https://www.irs.com/articles/refunda...le-tax-credits

The US has a 14.5% poverty rate, and a 27% rate of those who pay NEITHER federal income tax NOR payroll taxes.
Oh boo hoo. Again let's blame the poor and not the high rollers who hide their money in off shore accounts or "donate to charity" so they don't have to pay taxes. Yep. More relevant, so about that tax on everything we buy, does that not count either? If so, you mind as well give it back. I'd rather have it.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
Because human rights? Are you kidding me?
Human rights? Seriously? Saddling people with obesity-related illnesses celebrates their human rights, how?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Here is a real world example:
My son gets a free lunch and breakfast and we get about $200 in stamps. $200 is not going to feed all of us for a month so he needs the help with lunch.

KEY THING: HELP, not a free meal every day forever. When he can pack, then he does. When he can buy, he does.

** and usually he doesnt get the breakfast because its something really unhealthy and i give him cereal or pancakes on the way.
Then HOW are adults in the situation you describe 33% MORE likely to be obese than poor adults who don't get food stamps? Hmmm...?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
They do not pay federal taxes.

I realize liberals are math-challenged, but here are the facts:

2015:

Federal Income Tax Units(1): 171.3 million
Federal Income Tax Payers(3): 93.8 million

(1) Excludes those who are dependents of other tax units
(3) Tax filers with federal individual income tax of over $5

A tax unit is an individual, or a married couple, who file a tax return jointly, along with all dependents of that individual or married couple.

Tax Units with Zero or Negative Individual Income Tax:

77.5 million. 45.3% of all tax units.

Tax Units with Zero or Negative Sum of Income and Payroll Taxes:

46 million. 26.9% of all tax units

T15-0138 - Tax Units with Zero or Negative Income Tax - Tax Policy Center

This will probably come as a surprise to some: About 27% of all tax units pay NO Federal Income Tax AND NO Payroll Taxes on their earnings. That's almost always due to the various refundable tax credits offsetting them both.

https://www.irs.com/articles/refunda...le-tax-credits

The US has a 14.5% poverty rate, and a 27% rate of those who pay NEITHER federal income tax NOR payroll taxes.
Wait....what? Are you being serious?

Taxes come out of my husbands pay. Taxes come out of my pay. We get a tax return. We pay Federal, State and City.

He has:
Fed withholding
fed med/EE
fed OASD/EE
Oh withholding
Oh blu withholding
oh nor withholding

all listed under his taxes...and im pretty sure my husband is no one special- EVERYONE who has a job pays these.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:58 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Then HOW are adults in the situation you describe 33% MORE likely to be obese than poor adults who don't get food stamps? Hmmm...?
Because food of poor quality tends to be loaded with sugar or sugar substitutes. That's at least one reason.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
People who work for a living, will have as many kids as they can afford, poor people will have as many kids as the government will pay for. At the present time, there is no limit.
Exactly.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:59 AM

295 posts, read 181,265 times
Quote:
Then how are food stamp adults getting so obese compared to their no food stamp poor peers? Hmmm...?
That's what I'm asking you. That's what you are pretending not to see.

Maybe they eat more fast food because they work in fast food restaurants. When I worked at Dunkin I ate a crap ton of donuts. Luckily, my figure stayed in tact. I have an excellent metabolism.

Maybe they have less time to prepare meals so consume more processed food.

Maybe they are on birth control methods that made them gain weight.

Maybe they just couldn't lose baby weight.

Maybe they have no access to fruits/veggies. This is actually a thing, ya know.

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Probably because of the idiots on stamps who fill their carts with unhealthy food.

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Did you ever look into the shopping cart of a food stamp recipient? Mostly junk food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies