Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 07:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,067,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I edited my original post to reflect the basis of the study to be "Latina women" living in a county that borders Mexico and that 13% of the women interviewed knew of the availability of morning after pills.

The "Fox Story" was nothing more than a reprint of a Reuters article. Sorry, but I do not give credence to any news organization. I prefer to investigate and use critical thinking skills to determine the validity of any study or report myself.
Yeah, like you did with the study you posted from the National Review!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The Study was done at an Abortion Clinic in SF. The study was of 670 women over a three year period.

How does this mathematically insignificant test group that are all from the same area translate to a VAST MAJORITY OF WOMEN? That is an absurd extrapolation by any standards!

Secondly, the link to the Fox Story is just a reprinted Reuters article that names the study but fails to provide a link to the actual study so that the test factors, theory and results can be examined to determine how the outcome claimed was reached.

But, that didn't stop me from doing my own research:

The researchers found that Latina women living in a county bordering Mexico and women confronting cost, physical, or other barriers to reproductive health care (including birth control, Pap smears, and other services) were more likely than other groups to have attempted to self-induce or know someone who attempted to self-induce.

Despite the high rates of self-induction, 13 percent of women in the survey said they had heard of misoprostol, a drug that may be used on its own or together with mifepristone in the combination drug known as RU-486. Women reported knowing people who had used herbs or homeopathic remedies, alcohol or illicit drugs, or higher doses of hormonal pills, or who had attempted to abort through getting hit or punched in the abdomen on purpose by themselves or others.

Gee, a state with a large population of "Latina women living in a county bordering Mexico" was the test group for this study (First of its Kind at that!) to prove the propaganda from PP that closing down PP will result in back alley abortions happening. How convenient.
Abortion more common where it's illegal: Where are rates highest? - CBS News

Quote:
The new global abortion study - that's published in the Jan. 19 issue of The Lancet - is from the
U.S.-based Guttmacher Institute and the World Health Organization. Researchers
found a link between higher abortion rates and regions with more restrictive
legislation, such as in Latin America and Africa. They also found that 95 to 97
percent of abortions in those regions were unsafe.
What makes you think Texas or the United States will be any different?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
One life is no more valuable than any other. Your position is not that a living breathing woman's life is more important than that of a fetus, your position is not being pregnant is more valuable than a human life. A woman carries a child (and your failure to answer my question leads me to believe your only experience with regard to pregnancy and childbirth is a visit to PP when necessary) for 9 months. Should she keep that child, it could be a lifetime, if she gives the child over in an adoption, then her LIFE is disrupted for one year at the most. So your position is that one year out of the life of a woman is far more valuable than the life she created.
My position is that a woman is more important than a fetus, her rights trump any rights that a fetus, that isn't even a person, could ever have.

Life disrupted for one year? ........unless you happen to throw a blood clot and die, or end up disabled for the rest of your life.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
On par with declaring a woman nothing more than a brood mare.

Brood mares don`t have the option of not copulating or using effective birth control.

Shame on you for thinking women are too stupid and irresponsible to manage their own sex lives without getting knocked-up.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Brood mares don`t have the option of not copulating or using effective birth control.

Shame on you for thinking women are too stupid and irresponsible to manage their own sex lives without getting knocked-up.
Birth control can fail, even tubal ligation.......you must have forgot that.

Even the most conscientious woman could find herself in need of an abortion.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:15 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,318,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I'm going to vote R, but one issue that's getting under my skin a little bit is the abortion debate and the stance of some of the R candidates.

I like a lot of what Rubio has to say, but his hardline stance on totally outlawing abortion is a major black mark on him (to me, at least).

Others don't think the Roe v Wade will ever be overturned no matter what the POTUS wants, but it's an issue I cringe at when discussed.
(I'm a prochoice, Catholic, socially liberal, fiscally conservative).
There's no such thing.

This shows you have no understanding of Roman Catholic Theology.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:31 AM

16,023 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
That is a truly hateful statement. Baseless and hateful. Regarding life as precious and the unborn as worthy of life has absolutely nothing to do with the evil statements you just made. Many women who are pro-life have undergone abortions and now regret that decision and seek to prevent other women from dealing with years, if not a lifetime of guilt and regret over the decision.

I find your post detestable.
this is a myth created by the religious right which wants to deny abortions to poor women but has no will to provide for the mother and the children already born. that is what is detestable.
There is no evidence that women who have had abortions regret the decisions. mostly they are relieved and are able to lead their lives which would have changed dramatically at a time they were not ready to handle it.
many of them are mothers who love the children they have already or had later after the abortion. there is no life-time guilt or regrets.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I call BS. Please post a link that proves your statement. Otherwise, this is nothing more than leftwing propaganda meant to inflame abortion supporters.

The debate has not ended, just because you say so. Slavery was endorsed by the Supreme Court. Do you accept that debate was ended?

Further, a pregnant woman needs only to do a simple internet search on Pregnancy Homes in Texas and will be flooded with a wealth of information on organizations that will assist a pregnant woman, financially, emotionally and legally, even AFTER she gives birth.

Stop with the lies!!!
if you dismiss all newspapers as leftwing propaganda you will always be ignorant and live in your rightwing bubble. i do not need to provide any link, this is 2015. google and read any outlet on the story that is acceptable to you.

Slavery was banned. today slavery is illegal. maybe YOU debate that in your rightwing bubble, not the rest of this country.

when you are unable to do a simple internet search why do you think the poor women who need an abortion are unable to travel for lack of funds will have access to internet. please step out of the bubble and check out the real world where the poor live. it is not for you to decide what they should do with their bodies.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

nor do mares get raped, often by men in the family.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
this is a myth created by the religious right which wants to deny abortions to poor women but has no will to provide for the mother and the children already born. that is what is detestable.
There is no evidence that women who have had abortions regret the decisions. mostly they are relieved and are able to lead their lives which would have changed dramatically at a time they were not ready to handle it.
many of them are mothers who love the children they have already or had later after the abortion. there is no life-time guilt or regrets.
Read Naomi Wolfe's Fire With Fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies