Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Two groups:

A) 18-year-olds make stupid decisions sometimes. Honestly the government is more at fault for enabling this by subsidizing it and enabling private loans by making them not dischargeable in bankruptcy than stupid kids are for being stupid kids, which is kind of inevitable.

B) Graduate school. In which case for many subjects where it leads directly into otherwise un-enterable careers the ROI is worth the cost.
Keely Mullen's $150,000 student loan debt isn't even for grad school. It's for a 4-year degree at Northeastern (Boston), for the little that apparently seems to be worth. She's in her 4th year now. What business is going to hire such a completely uninformed moron totally devoid of critical thinking skills? .../SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Keely Mullen's $150,000 student loan debt isn't even for grad school. It's for a 4-year degree at Northeastern (Boston), for the little that apparently seems to be worth. She's in her 4th year now. What business is going to hire such a completely uninformed moron totally devoid of critical thinking skills? .../SMH
She made a really stupid decision at an age when she didn't have the experience to know better. She was able to make that really stupid decision only because someone was willing to loan her the money. Someone was willing to loan her the money only because the feds have made student loans not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I agree that this is a problem but the solution isn't to expect unrealistic foresight from high-school seniors, it's to change the regulatory environment that allows them to shoot themselves in the foot so hard and so easily. Private student loans above the federal caps should be dischargeable in bankruptcy, and that would prevent situations like this from ever occurring because huge $150K in loans for a non-technical undergraduate education at a middling institution simply wouldn't exist.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:56 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
She made a really stupid decision at an age when she didn't have the experience to know better. She was able to make that really stupid decision only because someone was willing to loan her the money. Someone was willing to loan her the money only because the feds have made student loans not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I agree that this is a problem but the solution isn't to expect unrealistic foresight from high-school seniors, it's to change the regulatory environment that allows them to shoot themselves in the foot so hard and so easily.
I completely disagree. Old enough to vote = old enough to not be stupid enough to take on $150,000 in nondischargeable student loan debt.

And where were her parents living in a million dollar home on this? Why didn't they tell her taking on $150,000 in nondischargeable student loan debt she may not be able to pay off in 20 or even 30 years wasn't a good idea?

Sorry... This is no one's fault but Keely's herself. She screwed herself by being unbelievably stupid. That's very frequently why poor people are poor.

At least now we all know the value of a Northeastern University education: graduate Keely will be living in poverty for decades.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,128,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The "less fortunate"? She isn't "less fortunate":

I didn't get to go to a school that cost almost a half million dollars...where's my hand out? I'M "less fortunate" than her...she should be paying for ME, (using your logic).
Quote:
I completely disagree. Old enough to vote = old enough to not be stupid enough to take on $150,000 in nondischargeable student loan debt.

And where were her parents living in a million dollar home on this? Why didn't they tell her taking on $150,000 in nondischargeable student loan debt she may not be able to pay off in 20 or even 30 years wasn't a good idea?

Sorry... This is no one's fault but Keely's herself. She screwed herself by being unbelievably stupid. That's very frequently why poor people are poor.

At least now we all know the value of a Northeastern University education: graduate Keely will be living in poverty for decades.
Sounds like having well off parents or being rich doesn't enable you to make good decisions. Baby boomers haven't made many good decions with entitlements, education, and child raising these last several decades. You could make the argument they're more responsible for the state of American than anyone else.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times
Maybe tuition subsidies should be based on how profitable a course of study is. Why should we, the taxpayers, subsidize classes such as "Homosexual Literature" or volleyball classes? I'm not saying those types of classes aren't enjoyable or even without some personal merit for the individual students involved, but I don't think I should have to pay for them.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:12 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,963,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe tuition subsidies should be based on how profitable a course of study is. Why should we, the taxpayers, subsidize classes such as "Homosexual Literature" or volleyball classes? I'm not saying those types of classes aren't enjoyable or even without some personal merit for the individual students involved, but I don't think I should have to pay for them.
Underwater Basketweaving 101. Do you have a problem with this course?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,128,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Please show where homosexual literature is available at many colleges. It's not.

Now, liberals art majors maybe not need be 4 year degrees anymore.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,284,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Please show where homosexual literature is available at many colleges. It's not.

Now, liberals art majors maybe not need be 4 year degrees anymore.
Indeed. Many degree's could be done in a shorter time than they currently are. Maybe if you are an accounting major we don't pay for art appreciation. I wouldn't be against that.......of course unless we are still wasting billions overseas which in that case art appreciation is far better use of our money.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:39 PM

34,087 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
Yep. She's just now realizing in her 4th year of college that taking on $150,000 in student loan debt to attend Northeastern University in Boston maybe wasn't such a good idea, and tried to fool everyone with a manufactured sob story.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,357,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This interview highlights the need for colleges to insist on Macroeconomics as a required gen ed course for all students. Poor girl is so clueless and sadly, doesn't even realize how clueless she is even when presented with basic facts.
I endured the full nine minutes of her rant, and found very little evidence that she even understands, or could articulate the critical difference between wealth and income; if this is an example of "leadership" what sort of "thinking" is going on down there among the thugs in the lower ranks?

It's frightening to recognize that we have been moving closer to Tocqueville's prediction that American democracy would fail when the Great Unwashed looted the treasury via the ballot box, and ate the seed corn.

Well done, Mr. Cavuto . We can only hope that she gets similar attention when she either wises up, or destroys herself.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-14-2015 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies