Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Where did I say I wanted America to be an agrarian society?
Because almost everyone had a job to do and welfare wasn't necessary pre industrial/agricultural revolution. Agricultural revolution, industrial revolution, and the digital revolution raise standards of living but need less people to do the work.

Quote:
You can have commerce and freedom without the government as we know it today or even the government since the 1930's
Nope. Who is going to enforce the rules? Just have the honor system? You need to brush up history and/or economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I give up, I don't think you even know why you posted what you did and I'm not sure you know
It is a fact that the U.S. Spends 3 times as much on social programs as we do on defense. You yourself posted the chart showing that.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Because almost everyone had a job to do and welfare wasn't necessary pre industrial/agricultural revolution. Agricultural revolution, industrial revolution, and the digital revolution raise standards of living but need less people to do the work.

Nope. Who is going to enforce the rules? Just have the honor system? You need to brush up history and/or economics.
If government got out of the way and didn't have the silly regulations that hamper business more people would be working and wages would be higher.

The problems isnt enforcing the rules, it is having so many rules that no one knows what they are, the grey area is so large one government official says one thing that is contradicted by another and every time they change their mind it costs you more money.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The selective poor are not regretting their lack of taxable income. Free gov't benefits and handouts combinedwith. Sheltered income ( cash payments, skipping credit card payments, not paying the other half of section 8 housing) has those choosing that life in a happy place. Thinking everyone that doesn't pay taxes is miserably is no way to go thru life.
What is "selective poor"? I have never received any kind of welfare benefits but I have volunteered to help poor women in Nevada and here's the 411 on the 'free stuff'

A childless woman gets nothing. She can get 3 months of food stamps and medicaid, nothing else. If she has no one to stay with, she sleeps in shelters and risks being robbed or assaulted, or when the weather permits stays in a homeless camp with other people in her situation.

A woman with two children gets $383 in cash benefits, medicaid and around $500 in SNAP benefits. Section 8 vouchers have a 5-9 year wait list. In order to provide a home for herself and her kids she needs around $500 for a weekly motel room with a mini fridge and microwave. In order to pay for that she has to sell part of her food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar.

I am currently helping an older man who is allowing 6 homeless vets to board in his home. A few are over 65 and get very small SS checks, the rest have applied for SSI but so far haven't been approved so they have no money. They do get medi-cal (California medicaid). He feeds them and gives them a warm place to sleep. I drive them to doctors appointments and wherever else they need to go.

Want to talk more about the 'free stuff' and how wonderful it is to be poor in this Country?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
We will pay for free college the same way we pay for our numerous wars.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If government got out of the way and didn't have the silly regulations that hamper business more people would be working and wages would be higher.
Think so? The industrial age domestically and abroad shows differently. Modern American middle class began during the roaring 20's and exploded after the GI Bill.

Quote:
The problems isnt enforcing the rules, it is having so many rules that no one knows what they are, the grey area is so large one government official says one thing that is contradicted by another and every time they change their mind it costs you more money.
Well I agree there, not a fan of laws on tops of laws. I'm all for streamlining regulations and setting clearer boundaries between municipalities, states, and the federal government. But that's no easy task.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If Keely Mullen....... She's a Political Science and Sociology major at Northeastern University, Boston. Liberal arts major. Zero critical thinking skills. Anyone surprised?
That explains it.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
She reminds me of some of the girls in my undergraduate classes 20-25 years ago. Occasionally there is a brainy and feisty one with a very quick brain to come across better.

Not much has changed. Just the bullet points and some of the issues.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:58 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Anyone who defaults on student loans should automatically be drafted into the military for 6 years.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:56 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yet here you are on an anonymous internet forum saying how you shouldn't have to help the less fortunate with your money.

Seems morals are subjective.
The "less fortunate"? She isn't "less fortunate":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Her background is interesting - I guess it's not impossible that her parents are "poor" and on 3 different "welfare" payments ..... but it appears unlikely.

Keely attended Francis W. Parker Prep School in Chicago for her "pre-college" schooling. It's located in Lincoln Park. It's a bit "spendy" - starting with a Tuition of $26,780 at age 4 and ending with a Tuition of $34,560 at grade 12. Total cost for a kid that goes through this School is $438,360.

Cavuto kept trying to talk to Keely about how the Math doesn't work with her "Free" Agenda.
Easy to see why she was having a problem with it. Francis W. Parker Prep School takes a Progressive lean on their Math Studies.
Mathematician Visits Parker
As Parker faculty continue to focus on math as a way of thinking, the student experience and what math looks like at a progressive school, the Math Department recently hosted UIC math professor Rico Gutstein at a meeting to inspire further collaboration and refinement of their work. Dr. Gutstein, a professor of math education in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at UIC, focuses on using math to “investigate and critique injustice” and creates lessons to do so for K–12 students.

Francis W. Parker is a Progressive Prep School
Founded in 1901, Parker is one of the earliest progressive schools to practice a distinctive and thoughtful educational philosophy, which continues today.

She has been baked in Social Justice, Progressivism and Activism her entire life.

Keely Mullen - Linkedin Profile

Should she be "blamed" for her "dimness" on an interview? The "blame" lies with the way this kid was raised and educated from the cradle. I wonder what her parents thought about Keely saying they were "poor" and on welfare? They must be so proud.
I didn't get to go to a school that cost almost a half million dollars...where's my hand out? I'M "less fortunate" than her...she should be paying for ME, (using your logic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies