Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:37 PM

371 posts, read 258,084 times

Advertisements

"There are certain truths which are so completely obvious that, for the very reason that they are so common, the average person does not see them or at least does not recognize them. A man may often pass blindly by such obvious truths and be utterly astonished when someone suddenly discovers a fact that everybody should have already known."

Do you agree? I do because its QUITE obvious this fits MANY things in today's world. Saw it on FB a few mins ago and it just struck me.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,579,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
"There are certain truths which are so completely obvious that, for the very reason that they are so common, the average person does not see them or at least does not recognize them. A man may often pass blindly by such obvious truths and be utterly astonished when someone suddenly discovers a fact that everybody should have already known."

Do you agree? I do because its QUITE obvious this fits MANY things in today's world. Saw it on FB a few mins ago and it just struck me.

Are you talking racial differences or the Muslim situation?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:57 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Yes, and when I point out the truth I'll often see people run from it. Looking at reality for what it is can be scary sometimes.

Here's an easy one. If I, on my own, can't rob you or use force to make you to do what I want, why is it ok to vote for someone else to do it on my behalf? Simple logic shows that it isn't possible, but people will do mental gymnastics to rationalize government and taxation. They fear the logical conclusion, so they pretend there's no contradiction there. The human mind is very complicated.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Are you talking racial differences or the Muslim situation?
It fits pretty much every situation...does it not? The Muslim situation is a start the racial differences could be another pretty much ANYTHING that most people are SCARED to talk about for fear of being called racist,bigot,hateful,crazy etc etc...pick a word.Today's society is SCARED to have a blunt talk about ANYTHING we sugar coat and dance around the problems and wonder why NOTHING gets accomplished or fixed.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Yes, and when I point out the truth I'll often see people run from it. Looking at reality for what it is can be scary sometimes.

Here's an easy one. If I, on my own, can't rob you or use force to make you to do what I want, why is it ok to vote for someone else to do it on my behalf? Simple logic shows that it isn't possible, but people will do mental gymnastics to rationalize government and taxation. They fear the logical conclusion, so they pretend there's no contradiction there.
Because society is an organized unit that works best when it works together.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:

Here's an easy one. If I, on my own, can't rob you or use force to make you to do what I want, why is it ok to vote for someone else to do it on my behalf? Simple logic shows that it isn't possible, but people will do mental gymnastics to rationalize government and taxation. They fear the logical conclusion, so they pretend there's no contradiction there. The human mind is very complicated.
Because ultimately you have a choice of majority rule, anarchy or might makes right.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

You pretty much nailed it how people react when they realize the truth but refuse to admit it.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Because society is an organized unit that works best when it works together.
I agree, and government is the antithesis of working together. It's fighting over who gets to impose their will on the others. Society exists despite politics, not because of it.

In any case, that doesn't refute the logic I presented. It actually proves my point...that people will avoid answering by changing the subject. I don't mean that to insult you at all, by the way. I've never seen anyone answer the question directly the first time.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because ultimately you have a choice of majority rule, anarchy or might makes right.
I choose anarchy, but not the "no rules" type. I choose people cooperating as equals instead of a top-down authoritarian system. Order arises spontaneously when people are allowed to make their own choices about their own life. It's not like people won't organize voluntarily to replace necessary functions that government currently has a monopoly on.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You pretty much nailed it how people react when they realize the truth but refuse to admit it.
I try.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread. I'll leave my anarchy talk for another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies