Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times

Advertisements

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...424-7/abstract

Well, as long as the world (mostly the US and China) keeps pumping antibiotics into the factory farmed animals we eat, and people demand that they eat meat 7 days a week and can buy it for less than 2 bucks a pound, we can expect more of this. Get ready, murica.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
awful!! I only buy AB free chicken. but even with butcher meat, how do you know where it comes from since our "wonderful" government won't allow meat to be labeled!!!?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
awful!! I only buy AB free chicken. but even with butcher meat, how do you know where it comes from since our "wonderful" government won't allow meat to be labeled!!!?
Thats the problem, you don't know and the corporations have congress and the rest of the government in their back pocket to make sure they can do whatever they want for as long as possible. They will keep it so companies like Hormel will refuse to give tours of their facilities, and anyone who sneaks a camera in as a whistleblower will be put in jail. While Europe is starting to at least come to its senses a little bit, the good ole USA and their partners in crime China will continue to keep factory processed food cheap and good local food out of price range for anybody but the most wealthy of people. We aren't even allowed to buy wild game here in the United States if someone in our community wants go out and hunt, and sell what he kills to his neighbors. Buying from local farms is all we have left, but the government is making it as hard as possible to do so.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Let me grab my tin foil.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Thats the problem, you don't know and the corporations have congress and the rest of the government in their back pocket to make sure they can do whatever they want for as long as possible. They will keep it so companies like Hormel will refuse to give tours of their facilities, and anyone who sneaks a camera in as a whistleblower will be put in jail. While Europe is starting to at least come to its senses a little bit, the good ole USA and their partners in crime China will continue to keep factory processed food cheap and good local food out of price range for anybody but the most wealthy of people. We aren't even allowed to buy wild game here in the United States if someone in our community wants go out and hunt, and sell what he kills to his neighbors. Buying from local farms is all we have left, but the government is making it as hard as possible to do so.
girls are getting their period much earlier than they used to. some get it when they're 9 yrs old now, thanks to ABs and hormones used in cows/milk.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Let me grab my tin foil.
I guess you don't understand the science. Do you even understand antibiotic resistance? Do you know what colistin is? What type of drug is it? Is it commonly a first line drug? Have we seen polymyxin resistance like this before? Take it from someone who sees people with multiple antibiotic resistant infections (that are often deadly) every single day at work. Educate yourself.

Let me guess, you would be one of those people who goes on strike in a unionized steel mill due to unfair contracts but then shops at walmart.

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Let me grab my tin foil.
So it's tin foil that bacteria mutates and becomes drug resistant ?

What planet do you live on ?

Overuse of drugs leads to this.
Animals for food are pumped full of drugs as a proactive method to ward off disease because they are in confined areas.

Why do you think penicillin is no longer the go to drug ? Overuse.

Can I see a show of hands for some delicious genetically modified salmon?

yum!

Genetically Modified Salmon OK'd for Human Consumption in U.S. | NBC New York

Old 11-19-2015, 03:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
Ok OP, how do we fix this problem then? Only eat organic food?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Can I see a show of hands for some delicious genetically modified salmon?

yum!

Genetically Modified Salmon OK'd for Human Consumption in U.S. | NBC New York
Hey, if they want to try and sell it to us, go ahead. But for them to think they can get away with not putting a big fat label on it that makes sure to let us know it is GMO, they need to think again. Slap a GMO label on the package and the free market will hopefully do its work. Despite the vast under-education about food in the US, I would at least hope most people would choose a package of salmon without the GMO label as opposed to one without it. GMO labeling is a reality in Europe..again, not the US of A.

I think GMO's need research by objective third parties, and the issue is up for debate (though at this point labeling is a MUST), but honestly the rapid and continuous antibiotic resistance that continues to develop is a bigger threat right now, at least in my opinion. We are going to have some hard decisions to make in America (and the world) regarding our food production in the coming decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies