Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

urbanlife78, clearly, based on your posts, you have not traveled or lived in many parts of the US.

You are not credible.

Bye.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then I guess you haven't listened to a word I have said, there is no national American Culture, you CAN NOT go to random parts of this country and expect to see the same culture because it is made up of several different cultures rather than one unifying culture.

Not sure how many different ways I can say this to you before you get it......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yes you can go to random parts of the country and find unifying American culture. Try it sometime.

Culture, as defined by Webster:

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time.

We don't need cultural briefings to travel or move to another state or region because we will find unifying culture.

Language. You will find American English used to teach in the schools, in private business and in local and state government. This is part of our national culture.

Sports. The US is very sports-minded. You can go anywhere and find baseball, football, basketball, etc. This is part of our national culture.

Holidays. You can go anywhere across the nation and find people observing Thanksgiving. Other national holidays observed throughout the nation, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Presidents' Day, MLK Day, etc. We also unofficially observe others throughout the country such as our own version of St. Pat's day. This is part of our national culture.

The Arts. You can go anywhere and find the same American movies playing in theaters, the same American programs on television, the same plays, the same concerts, the same American music on radio, etc. This is part of our national culture.

Food. You can go anywhere and find foods that are commonly identified as American, such as American comfort food like mac and cheese and fried chicken. Also hot dogs, hamburgers, meat loaf, potato chips. This is part of our national culture. Sad, I know, but it is what it is.

Religion. Most known religions are practiced in the US, but you can go anywhere and bump into Christians and find Christian churches. More than 80% of Americans identify as Christian. It's part of our national culture.

Like it or not, these things are identifying characteristics that make up our national culture. A list of all national cultural characteristics is too long for a forum post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 02:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
urbanlife78, clearly, based on your posts, you have not traveled or lived in many parts of the US.

You are not credible.

Bye.
Yes I have, I was born in Ohio, lived in Washington, grew up in Virginia, lived for years throughout the Northwest, lived in the NYC metro, and now back in Oregon. I have driven across the country 4 times now, and have visited all of the states up and down the east and west coast. I have visited a number of states through the midwest.

So yes, I have an understanding of this country and well aware the culture of this country is that of subcultures that make up this country, not a national culture.

Maybe it is you who needs to venture out into the country more.

Bye.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:33 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Keep telling yourself that as the right wingers keep trying to push out any moderate Republican they can.

I dare you to compare the current crop of (D) candidates positions vs. those of just the 1990's much less the days of JFK.

For that matter look at how the (D) platform has changed vs. the (R) platform and you will see how far to the left the (D's) have gone.

`

Old 12-02-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I dare you to compare the current crop of (D) candidates positions vs. those of just the 1990's much less the days of JFK.

For that matter look at how the (D) platform has changed vs. the (R) platform and you will see how far to the left the (D's) have gone.

`
The Democrats haven't gone that far to the left, most are still fairly moderate, but when you push the Republicans so far to the right that just makes even a moderate liberal look like a far left liberal to you guys.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 PM

934 posts, read 595,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Majority of Americans Feel Like 'Stranger in Own Country'

Do you feel like a stranger in your country?
Majority of Republicans and Teabaggers not Democrats

When you are strange everyone is a stranger, nobody knows your name. Voices come out of the rain, when youre strange

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sigh.

An American is an American.

Someone in the US who was not born there is an IMMIGRANT regardless of their nationality. You can be both American and an immigrant at the same time.

Seriously, I don't see why you find this concept so challenging.
I'm not the one who finds the concept of immigrants being Americans challenging. You apparently do, though, because this is what you said originally -

"Absolutely, I do.

I get sick and tired of going shopping in stores like Sam's, Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, even middle class shopping malls...and not hearing a word of English because I'm surrounded by mainly Hispanic, south Asian (mostly Indian), and Chinese immigrants."

So exactly what did you mean?

If you feel like a stranger when you are surrounded by other americans who are bilingual, then maybe you are poorly suited to being an american yourself.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:33 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm not the one who finds the concept of immigrants being Americans challenging. You apparently do, though, because this is what you said originally -

"Absolutely, I do.

I get sick and tired of going shopping in stores like Sam's, Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, even middle class shopping malls...and not hearing a word of English because I'm surrounded by mainly Hispanic, south Asian (mostly Indian), and Chinese immigrants."

So exactly what did you mean?

If you feel like a stranger when you are surrounded by other americans who are bilingual, then maybe you are poorly suited to being an american yourself.

It's not about being bilingual. Nothing wrong with that. It's about not speaking English in public when you know how to or refusing to learn English. In other words, it is linguistic non-assimilation out in society. I am speaking of those who reside here not tourists. Is it any wonder that native English speakers feel like they are living in a foreign country? However, I don't care what language one chooses to speak in their own homes.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:57 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not about being bilingual. Nothing wrong with that. It's about not speaking English in public when you know how to or refusing to learn English. In other words, it is linguistic non-assimilation out in society. I am speaking of those who reside here not tourists. Is it any wonder that native English speakers feel like they are living in a foreign country? However, I don't care what language one chooses to speak in their own homes.
They don't have to speak English. They don't have to speak English if they are talking to their friends or family. They don't care that you only want them to speak it in their home. This is America, they have the freedom to speak to each other in whatever language they want. Move elsewhere if it's such a hindrance to delicate sensibilities. The rest of us could care less.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is nothing wrong with speaking another language in public if they are speaking it to someone else who also understands that language. If this bothers your precious ears so much, then either learn more languages or buy some noise canceling headphones so you don't have to be bothered trying to listen to other people's conversations.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Yes I have, I was born in Ohio, lived in Washington, grew up in Virginia, lived for years throughout the Northwest, lived in the NYC metro, and now back in Oregon. I have driven across the country 4 times now, and have visited all of the states up and down the east and west coast. I have visited a number of states through the midwest.

So yes, I have an understanding of this country and well aware the culture of this country is that of subcultures that make up this country, not a national culture.

Maybe it is you who needs to venture out into the country more.

Bye.
What a great journey man

Keep posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies