Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
In pampering students with things like safe spaces, colleges are setting our students up for a rude awakening once they leave the cocoon. The real world doesn't mold itself to your feelings the way colleges are, and we're going to see waves of students coming out of schools completely unprepared to deal with reality.

In succumbing to the whims of these students who demand safe spaces and never being exposed to anything they disagree or might be offended with, they're being set up for a big surprise once they leave college. Unless they go on to become professors...
Oh, no, sweetheart.
They will come out of college and demand reality be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 PM

285 posts, read 176,853 times
I agree that this is a case of political correctness going way too far.

At the same time, I don't think that the absurd actions of a few colleges means that we should brand all higher education as "pointless". Academia promotes critical thinking skills, which goes against the dangerous worldview of seeing things as either black or white.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:22 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Straw Man x 100.

I never said I have a problem with "liberals" teaching college.

I have a problem when they bring their BS to the classroom and lay the "liberal law" down.

I would have a problem if conservative professors did the same.

Teach, don't preach.

Oh please, what straw man. It's a fact. I'm sorry but this isn't elementary or high school. These are people in college. Teaching college is not all about text books because it's boring. Let professors preach and have the students form an opinion and discuss it.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I do yoga on the campus still if I was the student's what could they do

Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Nothing else to say so ask if a poster went to college?

Yes, Urban, I went to college and beyond.

What do you know about college other than what you read on the internet?

You are so full of excuses it's pathetic.

The videos in the Dartmouth "nonsense" were student videos. The quotes came from Dartmouth students (the organizer and and a demonstrator). Not fabricated by RWM (Right Wing Media).

Sticking your head in the sand and avoiding reality that you don't like…typical liberal.
Oh, so you do understand the importance of a college degree. Also, somehow you managed to make it through college without being indoctrinated into liberalism. I am sure though, you had to suffer through years of liberal professors expressing their liberal beliefs on you and telling you how wrong right wingers are.

As for the Dartmouth nonsense, it was right wing media taking a protest and interjecting their own agenda into something that didn't actually happen beyond a protest.

Speaking of "full of excuses," I could say the same about your posts, it is pathetic.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I don't think that is true. I think work places will bend to accommodate these wierdos. It's already happening in my profession and it boggles my mind.
My favorite "college student" story was about a mother who called an interviewer to find out why her son wasn't offered a job.

I retired 8 years ago and I already saw the problem. When asked to report on a project instead of presenting results, they wanted to brag about how everyone contributed first, like the process was more important than what they discovered.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please, what straw man. It's a fact. I'm sorry but this isn't elementary or high school.
You need to look up the definition of Strawman Fallacy if you can't figure it out.

That's where you will find the "what".

Quote:
These are people in college. Teaching college is not all about text books because it's boring. Let professors preach and have the students form an opinion and discuss it.
All of the adult persons in college should be over the need to be entertained in the classroom.

Unless they're at clown college.

They aren't in elementary school any longer. They're "adults".

College is a place to learn, not a place to be entertained by professors because "the horror of the boring subject matter"!

Back to reality:

Good teachers and professors don't need to bring their politics in to the classroom/lecture hall to make what they apparently aren't good at, if they are so "boring", less boring.

So you're good with these liberal professors (that you completely ignored)?:

Quote:
Multiple professors at Washington State University have explicitly told students their grades will suffer if they use terms such as “illegal alien,” "male," and “female,” or if they fail to “defer” to non-white students.

According to the syllabus for Selena Lester Breikss’ “Women & Popular Culture” class, students risk a failing grade if they use any common descriptors that Breikss considers “oppressive and hateful language.”

"Students will come to recognize how white privilege functions in everyday social structures and institutions.”

The punishment for repeatedly using the banned words, Breikss warns, includes “but [is] not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and— in extreme cases— failure for the semester.”

Breikss is not the only WSU faculty member implementing such policies.
Quote:
Streamas—who previously generated controversy by calling a student a “white shi*bag” and declared that WSU should stand for “White Supremacist University”—also demands that students “understand and consider the rage of people who are victims of systematic injustice.”
Professors threaten bad grades for saying

From an "adult" student:

Quote:
“You’re dealing with administration who are all of one {liberal} opinion and that becomes the norm. Students are here to learn; they aren’t here to debate.”
What It's Like To Be A Conservative on a Liberal College Campus - ABC News

That's all good with you?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:09 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh, so you do understand the importance of a college degree. Also, somehow you managed to make it through college without being indoctrinated into liberalism. I am sure though, you had to suffer through years of liberal professors expressing their liberal beliefs on you and telling you how wrong right wingers are.
You didn't go to college, did you?

Quote:
As for the Dartmouth nonsense, it was right wing media taking a protest and interjecting their own agenda into something that didn't actually happen beyond a protest.
Nope.

Quote:
Speaking of "full of excuses," I could say the same about your posts, it is pathetic.
No you can't.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
You didn't go to college, did you?

Nope.

No you can't.
Yes I did go to college, though I didn't experience this nonsense that comes from right wingers that swear college is just a liberal indoctrination and all the professors do is force their liberal views onto everyone around them....though you seem to believe that is the case, therefore I question if you actually went to college....

And yes I can say that, and did.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes I did go to college, though I didn't experience this nonsense that comes from right wingers that swear college is just a liberal indoctrination and all the professors do is force their liberal views onto everyone around them....though you seem to believe that is the case, therefore I question if you actually went to college....

And yes I can say that, and did.

Another "do nothing" day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies