Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Condos have class warfare as well. Lenders will not issue mortgages for condos in developments which are not majority owner-occupied. This means that lower-priced condos often have major liquidity constraints where these condo owners can sell only for cash, which allows cash buyers to strip distressed sellers of their equity.

There are actually Fannie Mae rules about this.
Nonsense. Total BS. People will just not lend to you apparently. What's your credit score --250?

Fannie Mae has rule about everything, but they absolutely accept mortgages from investor owned property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,271 times
Quote:
publicly.

This is the title of the post to which I replied in July:

$250 / 80ft2 - Brand New Tiny Home Community! Beautiful Lot. Convenient Location. (Portland, Oregon)

Umm 80 sqft? You would have to be insane. that is ONE room.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times
Quote:
Not true, I once rented a guest house and when the owners relocated, they were willing but not allowed to sell it to me, i.e. I could afford to buy it but it was never mine.
You thought you could afford it, but since you can barely afford a cheap room in a boarding house, I seriously doubt that was truly the case. You've repeated this story often, but always fail to take in to consideration the fact that even if they "could" sell it to you, somebody would have to pay the fees involved in splitting a property, which are quite considerable. Do you think they would do this for free?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
Quote:
Not true, I once rented a guest house and when the owners relocated, they were willing but not allowed to sell it to me, i.e. I could afford to buy it but it was never mine.
No the bank was unwilling to participate in the sale because YOU are not credit worthy. If you had the money, you could have bought the house. You obviously didn't have enough money.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Nonsense. Total BS. People will just not lend to you apparently. What's your credit score --250?

Fannie Mae has rule about everything, but they absolutely accept mortgages from investor owned property.

tsk tsk...you need to do your homework. Investor-owned condos are ineligible for Fannie Mae financing unless a majority of condos in the development ('project') are owner-occupied:

FANNIE MAE CONDO REQUIREMENTS

Existing Condominiums (5 or more units in project)

Square Footage: Appraiser must provide at least 2 comparable sales on similar properties to demonstrate market acceptance.
Minimum Square Footage and Unusual Floor Plans
There is no minimum square footage requirement for conforming and non-conforming loans. However, the appraiser must provide comparable sales to demonstrate market acceptance. This also applies to properties with unusual layout and floor plans.

Reserves: Condo Association must have 10% of total annual income in reserves

Occupancy and Down Payments Required:
Owner Occupied units: If building has less than 51% owner occupancy, not an issue.
Max LTV 90% on primary residence (10% down payment required)
Max LTV 75% on Second Homes: (25% down payment required)
Investor purchases: Building must have at least 51% owner-occupied. If less than 51% owner-occupied, Investment loan is ineligible

Fannie-Mae Condo Rules | Real Estate with Sanda O'Brien

Owner Occupancy, Condos and Financing how they relate and what it means if you want to buy a condo?

Do you know what Owner Oc Rate (O.O.R.) is? The ratio of owners living in a community compared to rented units. EX: 100 units in a condo 65 of them are rented out leaving a 35% owner occupancy rate.
What does this mean for buying a condo. Well if you are looking to obtain FHA financing you need at least 51% O.O.R. and the HOA to be in good standing plus have FHA approval. You can find if a condo is FHA approved at THIS SITE.
What if the condo is below that 51%? Then no FHA financing and you must do a conventional loan.

Owner Occupancy, Condos and Financing how they relate ... | Zillow

Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
No the bank was unwilling to participate in the sale because YOU are not credit worthy. If you had the money, you could have bought the house. You obviously didn't have enough money.

where on earth did you get that idea?

i had private financing up to $50k from my employer. the listing agent said we'd need to subdivide the lot and that the lot was not large enough to divide. we were also told that no title company would touch that and that we should ask the city, which confirmed what she told us.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You thought you could afford it, but since you can barely afford a cheap room in a boarding house, I seriously doubt that was truly the case. You've repeated this story often, but always fail to take in to consideration the fact that even if they "could" sell it to you, somebody would have to pay the fees involved in splitting a property, which are quite considerable. Do you think they would do this for free?

My 'old' employer - for whom I worked onsite 20 years and for whom i still work remotely - offered financing up to $50k, the agreed purchase price was $40k. How does it cost more than $8k-$10k to split a simple platted lot?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
where on earth did you get that idea?

i had private financing up to $50k from my employer. the listing agent said we'd need to subdivide the lot and that the lot was not large enough to divide. we were also told that no title company would touch that and that we should ask the city, which confirmed what she told us.
Quote:
My 'old' employer - for whom I worked onsite 20 years and for whom i still work remotely - offered financing up to $50k, the agreed purchase price was $40k. How does it cost more than $8k-$10k to split a simple platted lot?
in other words your locality wont allow tiny lots for what ever reason. as for the cost of splitting up a lot, you would have the cost of a survey team involved, and that isnt cheap by any means, and then there is the cost of getting an attorney to lobby the local government to gain a zoning exemption so you can subdivide the lot, and that wont be cheap either.

in fact i think $10,000 would be cheap to get all that done, i think you would be looking at more like $25,000-30,000 easily.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words your locality wont allow tiny lots for what ever reason. as for the cost of splitting up a lot, you would have the cost of a survey team involved, and that isnt cheap by any means, and then there is the cost of getting an attorney to lobby the local government to gain a zoning exemption so you can subdivide the lot, and that wont be cheap either.

in fact i think $10,000 would be cheap to get all that done, i think you would be looking at more like $25,000-30,000 easily.

I understand classism well enough to know there was never any hope in applying for a variance. Not to mention that a variance would have created a non-conforming use which would have created more ownership risk than I was willing to undertake.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
I understand classism well enough to know there was never any hope in applying for a variance. Not to mention that a variance would have created a non-conforming use which would have created more ownership risk than I was willing to undertake.
in other words you are really just content to rent from others, and then complain that no one is willing to let you buy a piece of property that you can call your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies