Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:51 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Oh and help create a country called Kurdistan from Syria, Iraq and Turkey. They could be our best allies in the region after Israel.
I agree with you on this one. Don't forget that Kurdish fighters retake Iraqi city of Sinjar from ISIS. These are true warriors and even the women are fighting for their freedom. These are the true freedom fighters.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...SOLDIERS_B.jpg

35% fighters are women who are defending their territory. Funny that many here show a lot of compassion towards the syria refugees, but show zero compassion towards the kurds. Disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 09:11 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I like and respect the Kurdish people, from what I've seen anyway. But no, we should NOT arm them. Every time we meddle with the internal affairs of other countries by arming rebels and terrorists (even when they are fighting our enemies at the moment), it comes back to haunt us. We should, after all these decades, be able to learn something from history.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Kurds are the only secularists in that region. They're tarined warriors and have proven to give IS a fight. Should the West arm them?
I thought we already were arming them.

[]

Old 12-05-2015, 09:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So you want to arm the kurds, am I right?
Arm them and allow them autonomy, I,m actually disgusted with myself by saying "allow" them autonomy, if any people have earned there own homeland it's the Kurds. They fight for there own Men and women.

bill

Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Arm them and allow them autonomy, I,m actually disgusted with myself by saying "allow" them autonomy, if any people have earned there own homeland it's the Kurds. They fight for there own Men and women.

bill
I completely agree with you.

If this doesn't bring tears to your eyes, I don't know what would

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyJUK2Sof4

These freedom fighters deserve their own homeland.

Funny that so many here show such compassion towards those military age males from Syria.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:47 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I thought we already were arming them.

[]
Lol

I thought they were.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Kurds are the only secularists in that region. They're tarined warriors and have proven to give IS a fight. Should the West arm them?
NATO would never be able to arm the Kurds. Even if the 27 other allies absolutely insisted it happened that action would be vetoed by Turkey. So should NATO kick Turkey out of NATO as golimar suggested? Again, that's not possible. It's never happened. There's no mechanism for it. I assume some day there's going to be a reason and need to forcibly oust an ally from the alliance, but that's not today and it's not over this issue.

This question is like wondering if Bernie Sanders should be president. My answer would be yes, but I don't really entertain this line of thought because I prefer to deal with reality.

Different question -- should the US arm the Kurds? Mmm... we could, but I'm with DD on this. I don't want the responsibility of the Kurds being our clients. It would cause us too many headaches. Why the hell should we clash with Turkey over Kurdistan? We have enough on our plate without serving up more on it.

ISIS is evil in action and ideology, but in the grand scheme, it's a minor nuisance to our core national strategic objectives. Obama is on the right track here. Let's continue to explore low-cost, high-yield options when it comes to ISIS. Let's do enough to register our distaste, but there is no reason to go full retard (aka full Bush) over this.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
NATO would never be able to arm the Kurds. Even if the 27 other allies absolutely insisted it happened that action would be vetoed by Turkey. So should NATO kick Turkey out of NATO as golimar suggested? Again, that's not possible. It's never happened. There's no mechanism for it. I assume some day there's going to be a reason and need to forcibly oust an ally from the alliance, but that's not today and it's not over this issue.

This question is like wondering if Bernie Sanders should be president. My answer would be yes, but I don't really entertain this line of thought because I prefer to deal with reality.

Different question -- should the US arm the Kurds? Mmm... we could, but I'm with DD on this. I don't want the responsibility of the Kurds being our clients. It would cause us too many headaches. Why the hell should we clash with Turkey over Kurdistan? We have enough on our plate without serving up more on it.

ISIS is evil in action and ideology, but in the grand scheme, it's a minor nuisance to our core national strategic objectives. Obama is on the right track here. Let's continue to explore low-cost, high-yield options when it comes to ISIS. Let's do enough to register our distaste, but there is no reason to go full retard (aka full Bush) over this.
F%^k NATO, We can sell or give arms to anyone we choice, and if the Turks don't like it they can pound sand up there back side and leave. NATO does not dictate who we support or sell arms too, if it did, We would have been tossed out back in the 80's or 90's.

bill

Old 12-05-2015, 10:11 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
F%^k NATO, We can sell or give arms to anyone we choice, and if the Turks don't like it they can pound sand up there back side and leave. NATO does not dictate who we support or sell arms too, if it did, We would have been tossed out back in the 80's or 90's.

bill
Huh? Uh yeah, of course we can sell or give arms to anyone. Did you not read the question I proposed as an alternate to the OP's? The US can arm the Kurds unilaterally if we so choose. In fact, we do so choose .. we've been so choosing for a long time now.

U.S. arms the Kurds in Iraq

Should we? Again, I say no .. not worth the hassle. The rewards don't warrant the effort.

The question, as it appears in the title, is should NATO arm the Kurds. That's like asking if NATO should cure cancer. Sure it should! Why the hell not? It should fix global warming too while it's at it.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:18 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
I have massive respect for Kurds, perhaps the only Muslim group.

I feel terrible that the only group that is fighting ISIS is not being helped by Western powers, as it should be. Their women are on the front lines, and they were the only group that tried to help the helpless Yazidis and rescued many.

It is no wonder that many US and European military vets are fighting alongside Kurds.

I hope that someday they have their own country Kurdistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FkfZ_yCAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies