Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is a 2-state solution still possible?
Yes, it can still happen, and should 4 22.22%
It's unrealistic; no 11 61.11%
I'm not sure/other 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:07 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,629 times

Advertisements

Is a two-state solution of Israel & Palestine living "side by side in peace" even a viable option anymore? Abbas, who is a dictator, is getting old, sick, and has no clear successor. His corrupt Palestinian Authority has pi$$ed off his people so much that they prefer Hamas in the West Bank. It's likely that after his death, the PA will dissolve and Hamas will take over, in which case I can't see some countries (including the US) trying to force a two-state solution, at least on the 1967 lines, on Israel. What does everyone else think, and what should the solution be?

My ideal one is that non-combatants be sent to the Arab World (especially Jordan & Egypt, where most of their families originated from anyways), lest we stop giving them so much aid. If they take in the Palestinians, there would be peace. Israel would have defendable borders in all of its land, and the Palestinians can live in the Islamic Arab society they wish for, or if they can afford it, move outside the Muslim/Arab World.

However, I think it would be acceptable if they were given a smaller state in which Israel's settlements (or most of them, at least) in the West Bank were annexed and recognized as part of the Jewish state, in return for adding on some more land from the Negev to Gaza, and Palestinians recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital and deciding to have Ramallah or Abu Dis as their capital instead. This way, Israel has defendable borders, and undivided capital, and access to most of historical Judea & Samaria, while Palestinians still have their own state.

In any case, I'm thinking that it probably won't happen, and that after Abbas croaks, ISIS or some other groups will grow in number and Palestinians will be in a state of civil war, with many fleeing the land permanently, Israel launching anti-terror military operations, and annexing a great deal of land, which would initially cause outrage but ultimately be recognized by the international community, as the PA won't exist in such chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 11:22 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,645 times
Vast majority of Muslims will not accept a Jewish State amidst them. The status-quo will not change.

Pakistan and Israel are two similar nations. These two nations were created by the British during the same time-frame, specifically in the name of religion.

Infidel India is not pelting stones everyday at Muslim Pakistan, but the Muslim Arabs are not accepting of Infidel Israel because Muslims believe no land that was occupied ever by Muslims can be taken away by Infidels.

At this point taking all the land away from Infidel Israel is an ego issue for the Muslims, and for them it is all or nothing.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:33 PM

81 posts, read 55,551 times
If Europeans could arbitrarily draw lines on a map to create the Middle East, surely we could create a Palestinian state

Old 12-06-2015, 12:17 AM

1,676 posts, read 945,629 times
Problem is that in drawing those lines, the original "Palestinian state" in the partition is Jordan, in which a significant amount of its citizens are Palestinians.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW5K View Post
If Europeans could arbitrarily draw lines on a map to create the Middle East, surely we could create a Palestinian state
As I recall from my history lessons of that time, they did draw the lines, but the Arabs rejected it.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel...ritish_mandate

(my books on the subject are packed somewhere)

Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
Is a two-state solution of Israel & Palestine living "side by side in peace" even a viable option anymore? Abbas, who is a dictator, is getting old, sick, and has no clear successor. His corrupt Palestinian Authority has pi$$ed off his people so much that they prefer Hamas in the West Bank. It's likely that after his death, the PA will dissolve and Hamas will take over, in which case I can't see some countries (including the US) trying to force a two-state solution, at least on the 1967 lines, on Israel. What does everyone else think, and what should the solution be?

My ideal one is that non-combatants be sent to the Arab World (especially Jordan & Egypt, where most of their families originated from anyways), lest we stop giving them so much aid. If they take in the Palestinians, there would be peace. Israel would have defendable borders in all of its land, and the Palestinians can live in the Islamic Arab society they wish for, or if they can afford it, move outside the Muslim/Arab World.

However, I think it would be acceptable if they were given a smaller state in which Israel's settlements (or most of them, at least) in the West Bank were annexed and recognized as part of the Jewish state, in return for adding on some more land from the Negev to Gaza, and Palestinians recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital and deciding to have Ramallah or Abu Dis as their capital instead. This way, Israel has defendable borders, and undivided capital, and access to most of historical Judea & Samaria, while Palestinians still have their own state.

In any case, I'm thinking that it probably won't happen, and that after Abbas croaks, ISIS or some other groups will grow in number and Palestinians will be in a state of civil war, with many fleeing the land permanently, Israel launching anti-terror military operations, and annexing a great deal of land, which would initially cause outrage but ultimately be recognized by the international community, as the PA won't exist in such chaos.
Israel has offered it, and US has been willing to support it, but the arabs want it all. Therefore, no, it is not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies