Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 12:42 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
We can't say illegal immigrants because it might offend them even though that is what they are.

We avoid using the term radical islam or terrorist in reporting news of terror. There was a hesitation to even call the recent attack an act of terrorism until the evidence made it impossible not to.

We can't say "all lives matter" because it somehow diminishes "black lives matter".

It's offensive to say Merry Christmas or have Christmas trees.

There are many, many more examples daily and it's like people LOOK for things to be offended by.

When will this crap end? How much is enough?

This is why Trump has so much momentum, because he touched a nerve by standing up to this and I think most Americans are beyond fed up with it.

PC has devolved from 'not being insulting or rude' to the primary political weapon of the Left. It has lost its original purpose because it has been repurposed by the Left. It's primary purpose now is to hurl invective and name calling at those opposed to the Left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:01 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
PC has devolved from 'not being insulting or rude' to the primary political weapon of the Left. It has lost its original purpose because it has been repurposed by the Left. It's primary purpose now is to hurl invective and name calling at those opposed to the Left.
This is how I see it too. PC has gone beyond supporting civility and respect to pushing a particular political agenda in an authoritarian manner. Tow the party line or else.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:09 PM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
PC = Anything that doesn't fit the rightwing narrative. They amazingly immature and more so year with the constant marching orders and whining from AM radio shock jocks, FOX infotainment and the like.
Yup, It's a buzzword for mouth breathers who want to be racists or say stupid things with no consequences.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM

314 posts, read 400,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
We can't say illegal immigrants because it might offend them even though that is what they are.

We avoid using the term radical islam or terrorist in reporting news of terror. There was a hesitation to even call the recent attack an act of terrorism until the evidence made it impossible not to.

We can't say "all lives matter" because it somehow diminishes "black lives matter".

It's offensive to say Merry Christmas or have Christmas trees.

There are many, many more examples daily and it's like people LOOK for things to be offended by.

When will this crap end? How much is enough?

This is why Trump has so much momentum, because he touched a nerve by standing up to this and I think most Americans are beyond fed up with it.
Who stop you from saying illegal immigrants?

Do you call all white stupid because of some rednecks from the Appalachian?

Who say you can't say all lives matters?

Who stop you from saying Merry Christmas or have Christmas trees? I see Christmas trees selling in every shopping center parking lots here. What you want is for people who don't care about Christmas saying Merry Christmas. What you want is for Corporations like StarBuck saying Merry Christmas to you. This kind of the behavior could be expected from a whiny child.

When will this crap end? When you stop seeing things where there is NONE. It's hard to stop things when it's not happening in real world and when the only place it happens are in some people brain.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
What does "recent" mean to you? The TV show All in the Family first aired in 1971, and the biggest reason it was so popular was because of the humor derived from Archie's blatant politically incorrectness.
My standard for "recent" is when the term "politically correct" first entered the national discussion.

That would be in the early nineties, when Time or Newsweek (I don't remember which) had an article on universities promoting a liberal/left agenda and punishing students who disagreed.

For example, a professor downgraded a student for using the term "individual rights" and said that the very concept supported white privilege.

At about the same time, a satirical book called "Politically Correct Fairy Tales" was published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
...But due to political correctness you couldn't have a show like All in the Family these days. To show a blue collar bigot like Archie as having any decency or humanity at all just wouldn't be tolerated by the PC crowd.
Exactly.

Political correctness is about shutting people up and getting rid of free speech.

Who was it who said that the purpose of the first amendment was not to protect speech we agree with, but speech we can't stand?

Speech we agree with doesn't need protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Political correctness exists because...the busybodies of America need...to symbolize how they are a much better and more caring person, than you.
Yes, that is a major reason.

I would say most of it is the result of liberal white guilt.

Quote:
Even when we know all the terrorists belong to a sect of Sunni Muslim, the PC crowd refuses to acknowledge this, by not demanding increased screening of Muslims entering the US.
Yes, political correctness always has an irrational component.

The rational thing would NOT be to attack Trump, but to attack Obama for not making sure our screening processes for Muslims are adequate.

Prime example: Tashfeen Malik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who, or what, is keeping from saying "illegal immigrants" or "merry Christmas"? After all, you just said both.
You can still say those things.

On the other hand, San Diego renamed "Christmas Nights" in Balboa Park "Holiday Nights" and La Jolla changed its "Christmas Parade" to "Holiday Parade."

For a while, Target required that its employees say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

My question is: Why should using the term "Christmas" offend non-Christians?

They live in a mostly Christian country that was almost 100% Christian at its founding.

Should I be offended if move to India because most Indians are Hindus or Muslims, and I am not?

Newspapers regularly obscure the issue of illegal immigration by calling illegals "immigrants."

That is pure deception, designed to minimize the issue.

Quote:
If you insist that people are not allowed to be offended by whatever they want to be offended by, then wouldn't that make you the PC queen?
Be offended all you want, but that shouldn't mean that your taking offense (usually over nothing) should result in government, educational, journalistic or corporate censorship and self-censorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hate speech, bigotry, prejudice SHOULD be stifled in terms of more people rather than less engaging in that sort of ignorance.
You clearly don't understand the first amendment and the importance of freedom in this country.

In reading nineteenth century French novels, I have found that they were subject to censorship at the time they were written.

Is that what you want?

Authorities deciding for you what you can publish, read or hear?

Quote:
This is not the same as speaking out against the true enemies of peace and freedom.
Censorship IS an enemy of freedom.

If someone says something that offends you, say something back.

Don't confine them to "free speech zones" or punish them if they violate "speech codes" as is happening on college campuses today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Pretty much that's how I feel about the 'War on Christmas' and so-called Christians attempting to FORCE everyone into saying 'Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays".
Christians aren't forcing anything.

It's the other way around.

Cities unilaterally deleting the word "Christmas" from their holiday events. Corporations like Target telling employees not to say "Merry Christmas." (I should note that they changed this rule, and employees can now say what they want.)

Quote:
[I can remember my parents sending and receiving cards that contained the phrase "Happy Holidays" and no one went insane because it didn't say the magic words "MERRY CHRISTMAS'.
No one goes insane now.

Not that I've heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You do realize that other faiths, traditions and civilizations have winter holidays, right?
Yes.

And no one has ever been against that as far as I know.

It is only Christian symbolism that is attacked.

Although Muslims are going to be attacked as well if we continue to fail to properly vet them before admitting them to this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well certain parties and people are using the term almost derogatory. I mean after-all we don't call jaywalkers "illegals" and people who go beyond 55 aren't illegal drivers. You are using the term to give offense. That is the issue. It is a tactic to dehumanize. That is why people say there are more. . .non-judgmental ways to address the people who come into the country illegally.
The law says that they are "illegal aliens."

So that is the correct thing to call them.

Quote:
Well all lives matter is the natural way of things. All lives matter. Yet with the violence people are noting blacks as unfairly targeted. Black Lives Matter is in addition to all lives matter.Though I don't disagree with all lives matter. . and agree 100% its true. . .there is nothing wrong with saying Black Lives Matter. . as a focus/in addition.
If what you say is true, then why did Democratic presidential candidate Martin O'Malley feel compelled to say he was wrong for saying "All lives matter"?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
what you label "political correctness" is merely an effort to respect people.

...certain people, but not others. Political correctness does not come out of any principled philosophy of respect for your fellow man.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...certain people, but not others. Political correctness does not come out of any principled philosophy of respect for your fellow man.
Exactly.

Political correctness is based on downgrading whites, males, Christians, conservatives, Republicans, Western Civilization, America, Israel, capitalism and freedom.

And it is based on promoting non-whites, females, Muslims, atheism, the political Left, Democrats, the Third World, Communism and censorship.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:14 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Default do you people talk to your mother with those mouths?

Having a potty mouth is not 'fighting political correctness'. Not caring what effect your words have on those around your is not 'fighting political correctness'. Saying your own rudeness is the other person's problem is not 'fighting political correctness'. Feeling free to disparage someone for whatever you don't like about them is not 'fighting political correctness'. Being crass and disgusting is not 'fighting political correctness'.

Minimal decency towards others is not politically correct. It is behavior that used to be expected in a modern civilization, such as the United States.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:18 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Having a potty mouth is not 'fighting political correctness'. Not caring what effect your words have on those around your is not 'fighting political correctness'. Saying your own rudeness is the other person's problem is not 'fighting political correctness'. Feeling free to disparage someone for whatever you don't like about them is not 'fighting political correctness'. Being crass and disgusting is not 'fighting political correctness'.

Minimal decency towards others is not politically correct. It is behavior that used to be expected in a modern civilization, such as the United States.
And why not, the truth hurts

Old 12-23-2015, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post

I suggest you live in the real world, where people don't measure everything they say.

Oh, wait.

I guess that world doesn't exist anymore -- thanks to the PC Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies