Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:27 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

A bit too much methinks.

School principal bans Santa, Thanksgiving and Pledge of Allegiance | Fox News

Quote:
Santa Claus is banned. The Pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited. “Harvest festival” has replaced Thanksgiving, and “winter celebrations” substitute for Christmas parties.

New principal Eujin Jaela Kim has given PS 169 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, a politically correct scrub-down, to the dismay of teachers and parents.

“We definitely can’t say Christmas, nothing with Christmas on it, nothing with Santa,” PTA President Mimi Ferrer said administrators told her. “No angels. We can’t even have a star because it can represent a religious system, like the Star of David.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Several schools around by me have zero Christmas stuff this year.
No decorations, no parties, no trees, nothing.

This must be the year of Christmas PC.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Depends on how this plays out. The school doesn't have to promote any specific holidays but the students should be free to recognize them. All or nothing.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Utterly ridiculous. If true, that makes no sense whatsoever. As not all students celebrate the same holidays, all should be permitted because these students are going out into a diverse world. The school doesn't have to promote them but the students should be to recognize them.
True but schools today live in their own little world..almost utopia like.

That's probably why these kids get the shock of their lives once they hit college.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:39 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
True but schools today live in their own little world..almost utopia like.

That's probably why these kids get the shock of their lives once they hit college.
I reconsidered the school's policy and edited my post. It depends. As long as students are allowed to recognize the holidays, that's fine. Either the school recognizes all or recognizes none.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
I don't really have an issue with official school business being made more neutral when it comes to Christmas season stuff. Banning Thanksgiving is a new one, and quite odd if you ask me. It's an American holiday in America; rather or not your celebrate it, what do you expect?

As for the pledge of allegiance, I don't personally believe students should be required to pledge loyalty to anything.

To get back to Christmas, students should be able to do as they wish in this area. If they want to leave a tiny nativity scene on their desk or whatever, they should be able to do so. And frankly, if a teacher wants to decorate his/her room with their students, I think they should be able to put up just about anything.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
PC has gone wild..

Old 12-13-2015, 01:12 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why do you need government to legitimize your beliefs?

Old 12-13-2015, 01:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Several schools around by me have zero Christmas stuff this year.
No decorations, no parties, no trees, nothing.

This must be the year of Christmas PC.
My eldest child is in college and my youngest in middle school. Total number of schools they've attended: eight. Outside of the parochial school my eldest attended for first grade, none of their schools have done anything official for Christmas or any other religious holiday. There's no Easter Bunny either.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I don't really have an issue with official school business being made more neutral when it comes to Christmas season stuff. Banning Thanksgiving is a new one, and quite odd if you ask me. It's an American holiday in America; rather or not your celebrate it, what do you expect?

As for the pledge of allegiance, I don't personally believe students should be required to pledge loyalty to anything.

To get back to Christmas, students should be able to do as they wish in this area. If they want to leave a tiny nativity scene on their desk or whatever, they should be able to do so. And frankly, if a teacher wants to decorate his/her room with their students, I think they should be able to put up just about anything.
That is pretty much my point of view on this as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies