Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:10 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hence my suggestion that we stop drones that aren't (a) registered,
HOW would you stop them? I could build a drone from parts, never register it, and if I'm feeling frisky, not even radio control it, let it fly completely autonomously. It's not nearly as hard as most will make it out to be.
Quote:
and (b) carrying an ID transponder.
How exactly are you going to enforce that? Drones won't even show up on radar any more than a falcon or Eagle or helium balloon that gets loose (should we register and put transponders on those too?)
Quote:
Anti-drone technology will catch up with illegal drones. It must, or our world won't be livable in a few years without it. Anti-drone rifle shoots down UAVs with radio waves
Hey look a radio jammer. The FCC will just love that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The registering is a deterrent . You never wondered how in a murder, they can cast a foot print and find out who bought the darn shoe??? Make take time, but even in a fire they find the match . Some of you so anti authority (gov) it really does not matter. If they want to find you, they will.
Quit watching CSI. All a shoe print does is provide a match when they catch a suspect and that's only one piece of evidence that doesn't establish anything beyond any reasonable doubt unless the shoe print is unique enough (damage patterns, wear patterns, etc.). Registration is nothing more than extra onus on the law-abiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 07:28 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So then what happens when an unregistered drone causes a problem?

Quote:
What happens when an unregistered car causes a problem?
Detectives have to detect instead of looking up who it belonged to on the google machines.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
HOW would you stop them? I could build a drone from parts, never register it, and if I'm feeling frisky, not even radio control it, let it fly completely autonomously. It's not nearly as hard as most will make it out to be.
I already told you.
Quote:
How exactly are you going to enforce that? Drones won't even show up on radar any more than a falcon or Eagle or helium balloon that gets loose (should we register and put transponders on those too?)
I already told you.
Quote:
Hey look a radio jammer. The FCC will just love that...
The FCC would be fine with it as these would be government regulations and the FCC would likely be involved. But that's just one example of the sort of new technologies that are being developed. There will soon be a huge problem with drones and technology to deal with them will keep pace.

You don't seem to grasp the havoc that these things are going to create over the next decade. There are already Youtube videos of people strapping guns to them and aiming them accurately. A drone with gyros and motorized gimbal designed for cameras is also an ideal platform for a firearm. Without laws and new technologies to enforce them, criminal gangs will easily take over entire cities with armed drones. And why wouldn't they? You said it yourself -- anyone can build one of these things. The parts are already cheap and getting cheaper. Homemade bombs and assault weapons will soon be a thing of the past as the drone will be the terrorist and anarchist weapon of choice. The only way to fight technology like this is with new laws and new technologies to enforce them.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:46 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So I have learned I need to register my drones with the FAA because people do not comprehend risks.

Literally you are more likely to have your plane hit by a turtle then a drone. in fact someone recently showed the data:
Airplanes Hit More Turtles Than Drones | Popular Science

If a drone were to strike a plane, it is far less dangerous then many birds, AND its illegal to fly over 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport.

When will we require people to register their turtles that are far more likely to impact a plane?

On a side note...why so many turtle impacts? do they wander around on the runway?
Easy one. Drones carry noise and it affects communities of color. Thus it is a form of microaggressionmicroaggression.

Second, drones bring back memories of battles for our veteran students and those who have been dramatized by anything from police helicopters to war experiences. Students must demand that drones not be flown anywhere near their universities that they own. It should be a safe protected space where special snowflakes will not be disturbed by red neck right wing drones.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:51 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Quote: Originally Posted by greywar
...Its ALREADY illegal to fly within 5 miles, or above 400 feet of an airport. ..."

Drugs are illegal, it is illegal for people who become criminals to own guns, speeding is illegal, you get the point, I hope.
That we need to enforce the laws already on the books instead of creating MORE? What is the point of creating more laws if we won't enforce the ones we already have?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I already told you.
I already told you.
No, you never once did, you just kept blabbering on about registering being a "deterrent" or something.
Quote:
The FCC would be fine with it as these would be government regulations and the FCC would likely be involved. But that's just one example of the sort of new technologies that are being developed. There will soon be a huge problem with drones and technology to deal with them will keep pace.
The FCC doesn't even let jails use jammers, the last thing they're going to do is let even the government run around hog wild with a jammer.
Quote:
You don't seem to grasp the havoc that these things are going to create over the next decade. There are already Youtube videos of people strapping guns to them and aiming them accurately. A drone with gyros and motorized gimbal designed for cameras is also an ideal platform for a firearm. Without laws and new technologies to enforce them, criminal gangs will easily take over entire cities with armed drones. And why wouldn't they? You said it yourself -- anyone can build one of these things. The parts are already cheap and getting cheaper. Homemade bombs and assault weapons will soon be a thing of the past as the drone will be the terrorist and anarchist weapon of choice. The only way to fight technology like this is with new laws and new technologies to enforce them.
Wow, right to the hyperbole much? Come back when you're ready to have a sane and rational discussion.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:11 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
No, you never once did, you just kept blabbering on about registering being a "deterrent" or something.
The FCC doesn't even let jails use jammers, the last thing they're going to do is let even the government run around hog wild with a jammer.
Wow, right to the hyperbole much? Come back when you're ready to have a sane and rational discussion.
You're flailing now. I think we're though here.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
You're flailing now. I think we're though here.
Then explain it go on, I'll give you a chance.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
There were 400,000 drones sold over the holidays, there will be more problems besides just aircraft. Might be a good idea to wear a helmet outside.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:43 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
We just need "common sense" drone laws lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies