Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:56 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times

Advertisements

The school district points out that this isn’t something specific to Islam. They examine religions from all of the regions that they cover in World Geography and look at some of the items involved.

For example, when China is up for discussion, the curriculum calls for students to be shown Buddhist prayer beads. They’ll also talk about the yin and yang symbols when the discussion comes to Taoism.

Parents and other members of the community have argued that while those are religious symbols, the Muslim Shahada is a statement of faith, much like the Apostles’ Creed for Christians. To have students write that, they’ve said, is asking them to go against their own beliefs.

Islamic controversy causes school closings in Augusta - Roanoke Times: Education

In Virginia's Bible Belt, an Arabic lesson ignites anger
The school closings came one week after the teacher gave Riverheads High School students an assignment that involved practicing calligraphy and writing a statement in Arabic — the Shahada, a profession of faith recited in Muslims' daily prayers.
The statement translated to: "There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah."
In Virginia's Bible Belt, an Arabic lesson ignites anger

While I do not agree at all with the hate spewed by these so-called Christians...any teacher that ignorant has no business teaching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 04:25 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
That is going too far.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
These people are so backward. The course is called World Religion. If they don't want their children learning about other religions then have the child opt out or send the child to a Christian school. The shahada is basic information that one would learn when studying Islam.

Further, what does taking prayer out of school and God out of textbooks have to do with anything? These people just want to rant and act ghetto for nothing. No one should be fearing for their safety over this.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
These people are so backward. The course is called World Religion. If they don't want their children learning about other religions then have the child opt out or send the child to a Christian school. The shahada is basic information that one would learn when studying Islam.

Further, what does taking prayer out of school and God out of textbooks have to do with anything? These people just want to rant and act ghetto for nothing. No one should be fearing for their safety over this.
Excellent point! I do however feel that using the Islamic statement of faith as part of the lesson was incredibly ignorant and insensitive so soon after the attacks in Paris and California. Plus in a school in the Bible belt!

OTOH, as an ex-evangelical Christian, I know that a statement/profession of faith is meaningless if it doesn't come from the heart, and they should know that too!

Old 12-20-2015, 08:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Excellent point! I do however feel that using the Islamic statement of faith as part of the lesson was incredibly ignorant and insensitive so soon after the attacks in Paris and California. Plus in a school in the Bible belt!

OTOH, as an ex-evangelical Christian, I know that a statement/profession of faith is meaningless if it doesn't come from the heart, and they should know that too!
Ok, my mistake. This is a World Geography class which the children learn about world religions. But honestly, I don't think I would change the lesson plan just because of the attacks. Wonder if this is a new activity in the course or if this has been done in years past.

Right. The children are not taking shahada...LOL.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Southerners are pathetic.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 AM

461 posts, read 333,203 times
Religion has no place in public school. PERIOD.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 AM

461 posts, read 333,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Southerners are pathetic.
Jealous I know. Remember no one retires up north....we like things our way which is the right way PERIOD.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Religion has no place in public school. PERIOD.

Now that is 100%correct!

Judgment Day - Intelligent Design on Trial
http://www.amazon.com/Judgment-Day-I...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Kitzmiller v. Dover School District
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmi...chool_District

Old 12-20-2015, 02:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
The entire thing is very strange. Teacher says this is a Lesson from the Virginia Standards on Learning.
I looked that up.

The Virginia Standards on Learning covers Math, English, History, Science, Social Studies, Civics, Economics & Geography ..... and they have what they call "Essential Understandings" and "Essential Knowledge". The Virginia SOL does NOT mandate certain Lessons, that is totally up to each teacher.

This particular Geography Class is 10th grade (based on the Essential Understandings/Essential Knowledge requirements. It's not a "Religion" class OR an ART class, it's a World Geography Class.

ESSENTIAL UNDERSTANDINGS:
The cultural landscape of the North African and Southwest Asian region is influenced by religious traditions and modern ongoing conflicts.

ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE:
North Africa and Southwest Asia (Middle East)
 Rapid urbanization
 Modernization centered in urban areas while traditional life continues in rural areas
 Population unevenly distributed
 Arab countries and Arabic language
 Non-Arab countries: Turkey, Iran, Israel
 Birthplace of three major monotheistic religions—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
 Conflict over Israel/Palestine
 Nomadic lifestyles
 Art that reflects the diversity of religions (stained glass, geometric tiles, calligraphy, mosaics, prayer rugs)

Cultural landscape
 Mosques, minarets
 Church of the Holy Sepulcher
 Hagia Sophia
 Bazaars, suqs
 Western Wall
 Dome of the Rock
 Kaaba
 Pyramids
 Walled cities

Calligraphy is an ART. It's not an easy ART to master and it requires specialized tools. There is no question that the ART of Calligraphy is one of the Central ART forms in Muslim Countries, it's even more important in the Culture that actually invented this ART form .... China (where they will study Yin-Yang and Buddhist Beads.

The prime directive (Essential Understandings/Essential Knowledge) does NOT say you must "master" or even "practice" the ART forms ... just have knowledge of them and learn about them. It's also interesting to note the items chosen for "Cultural Landscape".

This "lesson" doesn't pass the Smell Test. It actually took some research to find that particular verse from the Koran. I'm surprised that the Teacher didn't tell the kiddos what they were "writing" and that none of the Kiddos bothered to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies