Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:50 PM

51,041 posts, read 24,537,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
There never was a Confederate flag. Slowly being overwhelmed by the invasion and rejecting a lot of central authority, the confederacy never created a national flag. The flag that you are referring to is really the semi official battle flag of the Army of Northren Virginia. Other confederate field armies used it on occasion and also flew their own local battle flags.
Yes, I know that. Don't pick. Stay with significant factors.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:44 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,665,306 times
Bad move by New Orleans, can't erase history.
Flag is a different story. Can't keep a flag after losing a war, but then they still think they won.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,035,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Bad move by New Orleans, can't erase history.
Flag is a different story. Can't keep a flag after losing a war, but then they still think they won.
The only "problem" I have with some in the South is how proud they are of their history. I can't see why anyone would be proud of seceding from your country in the name of slavery, so you can keep enslaving people of another race, oppressing them, and seeing them as literally less than human (3/5 Compromise when slaves counted as 3/5 of a person to drive up representation in Congress in Southern slave states). I just don't see why anyone would be proud of this. Recognizing the history, okay, but pride? Nope, sorry, don't agree.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:42 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,665,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The only "problem" I have with some in the South is how proud they are of their history. I can't see why anyone would be proud of seceding from your country in the name of slavery, so you can keep enslaving people of another race, oppressing them, and seeing them as literally less than human (3/5 Compromise when slaves counted as 3/5 of a person to drive up representation in Congress in Southern slave states). I just don't see why anyone would be proud of this. Recognizing the history, okay, but pride? Nope, sorry, don't agree.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:53 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,648,956 times
They should have just removed the Confederate statues right after Katrina and blamed it on a Act of God!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 AM

30,640 posts, read 19,347,501 times
I don't think they win this lawsuit. Maybe move this monuments to the suburbs where they will be better received.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:02 AM

9,482 posts, read 10,840,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
There never was a Confederate flag. Slowly being overwhelmed by the invasion and rejecting a lot of central authority, the confederacy never created a national flag. The flag that you are referring to is really the semi official battle flag of the Army of Northren Virginia. Other confederate field armies used it on occasion and also flew their own local battle flags.

The Confederacy did have a national flag. In fact it had three, as it was changed several times. There is a first National Flag, A second national flag and a third national flag. The first two are quite different from the battle flag. The third flag however incorporated the battle flag into its design. I prefer the first national flag, and this is the one you are most likely to see displayed on peoples houses or trucks. (other than the battle flag which is most popular)

Old 12-22-2015, 05:18 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,047,902 times
Quote:
Exactly. I'm fine with leaving the flag on historical sites, but it has no place on any other government property, such as state flags, licence plates, etc. The flag is that of a failed rebellion, which is not something to be proud of, and has come to represent bigotry, hatred, and ignorance. The vast majority of people who fly the rebel flag these days do not do so out for historical reasons; we all know exactly what they are instead supporting.

I get a sad chuckle out of it. Proud Americans - often those in the same part of the nation where this is happening - love to laugh at "stupid people" in other nations who can't forget past grievances and hatreds... and here they are flying the flag of a failed rebellion 150+ years after the fact. And rest assured, barring a substantial increase in education and empathy in this nation, we'll still be seeing the rebel flag flown 100 years from now, often by hicks who continue to laugh at those "stupid people" overseas who can't forget the past.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,504,029 times
If they are going to remove them why not auction them and let the winner pay for removal. The city could use money from the auction to replace the statue or improve the park.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 AM

30,640 posts, read 19,347,501 times
Quote:
You see the War as a battle for Slavery but that's not how most in the South view that War. Virtually no one is proud of the history of Slavery (maybe 10K KKK members is about it). Southerners are proud of their culture and have had to stick together through a prolonged period of discrimination against the South and Southerners that has lasted for well over 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.