Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,609,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Let me guess you took drama class......

Nope. College Prep and Business Major all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Rather than setting up all kinds of scenarios, did you think this area may have a lot of break ins? Did you think possibly there was reason for this family was on alert, or are you just out to blame the mom and guns? Some how I am sure the mom is feeling bad about what happened. You have no idea the family lifestyle and shouldn't assume we all live like you and Ringo1 in a quiet home.

Since none of my guests or kids were ever shot, guess we/them discussed enough stuff, I had no reason to draw my gun.
I'm not the one living in a quiet home - where adult children have to obey a curfew or text before they walk in the door and houseguests have to obey the rules so they don't get shot in your home.

I would guess YOUR home must be terribly quiet.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:20 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,234,598 times
Does it not occur to those walking in dark houses OR those shooting to turn on a light???

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,026,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Does it not occur to those walking in dark houses OR those shooting to turn on a light???
The daughter might have been trying to be courteous to her sleeping parents. I know if I am out with buddies and I come home late, I don't go through the house turning on lights because I know my wife is asleep.

As for the mother, I agree with your question. Why did the mother not turn on the light or announce herself as being armed. I'm assuming the mother was in her bedroom and the daughter walked through the front door. Did the mother get up, grab her gun, walk into the living room and squeeze a round off at the first shadow she saw move?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 AM

42,885 posts, read 26,474,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The daughter might have been trying to be courteous to her sleeping parents. I know if I am out with buddies and I come home late, I don't go through the house turning on lights because I know my wife is asleep.

As for the mother, I agree with your question. Why did the mother not turn on the light or announce herself as being armed. I'm assuming the mother was in her bedroom and the daughter walked through the front door. Did the mother get up, grab her gun, walk into the living room and squeeze a round off at the first shadow she saw move?
I said it once and I'll say it again, the whole story stinks to high heaven and since dad is a cop and mom a police dispatcher no one is going to investigate it to find out what really took place

Old 01-05-2016, 08:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,864,749 times
Quote:
When I'm a guest at someone's house and I'm up after dark, my policy is to be very quiet. As opposed to turning on all the lights, banging two pots and pans together, and yelling "I'm your house-guest, so please don't waste me 'cause all I wanna do is find the bathroom and take a leak!".

But then, I don't spend much time visiting the sorts of people who treat their homes like they're manning the perimeter at the siege of Leningrad, so I'm not too worried about being blown away by some trigger-happy idiot.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,026,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I said it once and I'll say it again, the whole story stinks to high heaven and since dad is a cop and mom a police dispatcher no one is going to investigate it to find out what really took place
I agree. The investigation will come and go determining that the mother shot her daughter on accident and no charges will be filed.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:30 AM

51,692 posts, read 25,972,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

But then, I don't spend much time visiting the sorts of people who treat their homes like they're manning the perimeter at the siege of Leningrad, so I'm not too worried about being blown away by some trigger-happy idiot.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,234,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
When I'm a guest at someone's house and I'm up after dark, my policy is to be very quiet. As opposed to turning on all the lights, banging two pots and pans together, and yelling "I'm your house-guest, so please don't waste me 'cause all I wanna do is find the bathroom and take a leak!".

Assuming this was an accident.... Had the daughter turned on the light she would be alive now. .Wouldn't she ??? Knowing mom had a gun which is smarter??Turn on light? Walk in dark? I am not against the a home owner shooting an intruder. But I do think they have a responsibility to determine it is an intruder BEFORE shooting.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,752,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
So we're up to... what... 26 pages of handwringing and gnashing our teeth, and emotional outbursts about how "we've got to do something about this," but.... mmmm... has anyone actually gotten around to making any concrete proposals on what exactly we ought to be doing?
Did you miss my post? We need to institute mandatory gun safety training for all Americans, starting in preschool and continuing to age 21.

This woman violated a very basic gun safety rule: Be Sure Of Your Target. A simple training regimen would probably have prevented the tragedy.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,602,663 times
Quote:
Assuming this was an accident.... Had the daughter turned on the light she would be alive now. .Wouldn't she ??? Knowing mom had a gun which is smarter??Turn on light? Walk in dark? I am not against the a home owner shooting an intruder. But I do think they have a responsibility to determine it is an intruder BEFORE shooting.
You answered your own question. Any responsible parent with a brain knows that A. their children may show up whenever & B. when they're either visiting or living with them, especially being 27, they may come home at odd hours. But hey, just fire away & then sob "Oh no!!!!" Freakin' morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies