Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 01:50 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize protestors routinely carried guns during protests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 02:24 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Ryan Bundy

But will not rule out self defense if we are attacked. 2nd American revolution is a lot longer than the first for sure. Its opening volleys were at Ruby Ridge,Then Waco continuing on.
Once again if people get killed they will blame the government for their peaceful protest.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:37 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The case has been in the local news here for a very long time. I can assure you I'm much more familiar with what happened than you are.

They got sentenced, the prosecution appealed because the judge simply ignored the relevant law (and admitted as much), and they got additional jail time in line with the minimum sentence required by law. Judges are not actually given the power to simply ignore statutes when they happen to disagree with them.
EXACTLY. This is all within the law. Its the terrible part of minimum sentencing. If you don't like it there's a LOT of things you can do about it. Work towards the reduction of mandatory minimums, ask for the president to commute their sentence, etc etc.

The Bundys who are leading this though.....arent making it just about the Hammonds
Quote:
In a phone in interview with The Oregonian, another Bundy son, Ryan, laid out the militants' demands: that the Hammonds be released and that the surrounding federal lands be ceded to local control.
Thats right. They want the land ceded to local control. And they've brought their guns.

Now is it terrorism? I don't think so, while they fit one definition:
Quote:
the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Thats a VERY loose definition. The FBI has a better one:
Quote:
Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.
I dont see them meeting the "acts dangerous to human life" yet in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:06 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Nope that's not what I am talking about. They charged them under an ANTI TERRORISM LAW. Look it up. They should have been charged (if charged at all) with Arson.
They got five years under the antiterrorism law. Felon arson is five years minimum, 15 or 25 years maximum, in most states, with minimum sentences being fairly rare if there is widespread damage like in this case. Difference is one is tried in federal court, one in state (I don't think there is any such thing as federal arson?)

Old 01-03-2016, 03:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL...you got that entirely backwards....

If they are black, they just need education, if they're arab they just need a job, if they are white they are christian militia and terroist, with no teeth and a very small penis....(as portrayed in this very thread....well one of the 5 anyway...)
Actually both points are correct and its sad that so many take one side over the other when in the end the argument is the same one.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:13 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Actually both points are correct and its sad that so many take one side over the other when in the end the argument is the same one.
Personally I don't really care.....I know damn well 12 years ago the United States was not so damn divided, now its divide and concur....

The left hates when it's thrown right back in their face, then the act like....well not really....or that's not what they really meant to say.....

Just look at the damn lie hillary just stated....they (the left) rallied around her.....

Did trumph exaggerate, of course....that's his style....but he did not lie.....

And not a damn single person rallied around that dumb ass who killed 9 in the church, so I'm not sure why you say both points are correct.....

Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM

461 posts, read 333,203 times
Default Oregon occupation about unconstitutional federal land grab

Oregon Occupation About Unconstitutional Federal Land Grab | RedFlag News
Interesting article and history

Old 01-03-2016, 04:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Why is this militia there if the people involved in the court case don't even want them there?

"The Hammonds have been clear in that they don't want help from the Bundy group. "Neither Ammon Bundy nor anyone within his group/organization speak for the Hammond family," the Hammonds' attorney W. Alan Schroeder wrote to Harney County Sheriff David Ward."

Armed group takes over Oregon wildlife refuge building - CNN.com

Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
You want to burn to death people just like Bill Clinton and Janet Reno did to the men, women, and children at Mount Carmel, over a peaceful protest? Holy overreaction Batman!
Who said anything about wanting that to happen?

It's really up to these traitors to decide whether they want to start shooting or peacefully go to jail.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Here's a different take on the issue by the locals.

Oregon sheriff says refuge occupiers trying to overthrow government

"Harney County Sheriff David M. Ward said authorities from “several organizations” are working to peacefully resolve the standoff, which began Saturday when an unknown number of armed activists occupied an uninhabited building at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, about 30 miles outside the town of Burns, Ore.
“These men came to Harney County claiming to be part of militia groups supporting local ranchers, when in reality these men had alternative motives, to attempt to overthrow the county and federal government in hopes to spark a movement across the United States,” Ward said in a statement Sunday."

L.A. Times

I think the Sheriff used the kindest terms possible to brand these people as Seditionst Rebels. And he's the leading LEO in the area. You guy's can verbally "back and fill" all you want about "patriotism," and "taking back the land" but here is the government's position in a nutshell and one I agree with.
You boys better disarm and go back to weekend training in the woods for your jollies or a big, permanent S#!t storm will descend upon you.

Last edited by mohawkx; 01-03-2016 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies