Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:07 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hmmm.........

Tell me, Mr. Science teacher, why are average IQs in America falling and well below 100? In an environment in which selection was still active, this would not occur.
Because it's not.... Over the past 100 years, Americans' mean IQ has been on a slow but steady climb. Between 1900 and 2012, it rose nearly 30 points, which means that the average person of 2012 had a higher IQ than 95 percent of the population had in 1900. http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:07 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Sorry but the dude who runs the website you linked is a paid shill for ExxonMobil and Chevron.

Climate Change Misinformer Of The Year: Marc Morano

Meet The Climate Denial Machine
Sure hope Exxon raises the dividend again. I've owned it since 1982 and it sure has been good to me.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Woohoo!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hmmm......... Dunning Kruger strikes again. I have two advanced degrees in science (one in medicine).

Viruses and bacteria do not have social support programs which allow the propagation of their genetics, despite lack of "fitness". I may be wrong, but perhaps Obama put bacteria and viruses on the government payroll via executive order and did not tell anyone.

I, Mr. Science teacher, award you an F- for complete lack of understanding about genetics, "fitness", and how exactly external pressures in the past "selected" certain genetic traits.

When you have low IQ, unhealthy individuals in a welfare state producing children at a rate 4-5X the reproduction rates of wealthy caucasions, natural selection has stopped. "Fitness simply refers to the propagation and perpetuation of genetic material, not the percieved beneficial attributes of those genes.

Tell me, Mr. Science teacher, why are average IQs in America falling and well below 100? In an environment in which selection was still active, this would not occur.
The idea that immunological function is a major factor in natural selection is entirely unremarkable. And it is still operative. I am surprised that a person with a medical degree objects to this. Your blanket statement that natural selection has stopped for humans is simply untrue on its face. (And, IMO, nonsensical.)

Parenthetically, while just about all of us assume that intelligence has been a driving factor in human evolution thus far, it is by no means certain that the intelligence components we measure with IQ tests are exactly the same components that nature is selecting for. There's a good case that social intelligence is far more important for survival than IQ scores.

OTOH, it turns out that immunological function may be a good predictor of IQ scores. Why Is Average IQ Higher in Some Places? - Scientific American

For anecdata, I give you Stephen Hawking. I for one am very glad that modern technology and social systems have kept him alive - even though I understand barely a quarter of what he has to say.

(BTW, it's Ms. Science Teacher to you.)

Edited to add - I'm not sure why a person who agrees that "Fitness' simply refers to the propagation and perpetuation of genetic material, not the percieved beneficial attributes of those genes" is worried about decreases in IQ scores. The name of the game is indeed gene frequency, and while we all like our brains, there is no cosmic requirement that humans should have high IQ scores. Or that low IQ scores should decrease biological fitness.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-14-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 03:43 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Sure hope Exxon raises the dividend again. I've owned it since 1982 and it sure has been good to me.
Better buy some nuclear power companies too...from The Daily Caller: "The lower-house of Wisconsin’s state legislature passed a bill Tuesday lifting a 33 year-old restriction on the construction of new nuclear power plants in an attempt to comply with federal regulations phasing out coal plants." Wisconsin Set To Lift Ban On Nuclear Power To Comply With EPA Regs | The Daily Caller

Maybe this is why some people are worried about webbed feet and cat's eyes. Though I still think it's kind of cool.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Better buy some nuclear power companies too...from The Daily Caller: "The lower-house of Wisconsin’s state legislature passed a bill Tuesday lifting a 33 year-old restriction on the construction of new nuclear power plants in an attempt to comply with federal regulations phasing out coal plants." Wisconsin Set To Lift Ban On Nuclear Power To Comply With EPA Regs | The Daily Caller

Maybe this is why some people are worried about webbed feet and cat's eyes. Though I still think it's kind of cool.
Some humans already have webbed toes, so the genes currently exist to be selected for in the time-honored fashion. Or maybe genetic engineering will kick in.
Webbed Toes - Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment

Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

I retired from a company that has six nuclear plants and is currently building two more. I worked 12 years in a nuclear plant and 18 in coal burning plants. I don't have webbed feet or lung cancer. I do own a bit of my old companies stock and it has been very good to me also.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
I have prehensile feet, meaning that I can grasp and pick up objects with my toes. Long neck beer bottles are my specialty. I wonder if I'm evolving backwards.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Because it's not.... Over the past 100 years, Americans' mean IQ has been on a slow but steady climb. Between 1900 and 2012, it rose nearly 30 points, which means that the average person of 2012 had a higher IQ than 95 percent of the population had in 1900. http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter.aspx
Liberal banter- IQs in western nations have been declining since the victorian era, mostly due to the relative decline in white populations in those nations.

People Getting Dumber? Human Intelligence Has Declined Since Victorian Era, Research Suggests

http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/BRBAKER/

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...28d4a4e3b64780

Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Obama is again blaming global warming for his physical attributes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies