Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
State court overturned municipal regulation, huge difference from the question posed by the OP.
Only in that the state showed it wasn't as stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:17 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There's the rub, I think broccoli is safe from government, probably most of the broccoli sold and consumed crosses state lines. Most produce is raised in concentrated regions, e.g. most domestic oranges are grown in only two states.
That wouldn't prevent a state from banning the sale of broccoli, if that were the case then any product that is produced in a state in the US would be prevented from being regulated or banned by another state.

I think the test is whether the state regulation causes impacts on 3rd party states from obtaining that product, so for instance if Oklahoma banned broccoli, if it was the producer there is no issue, if they are banning consumption in the state of Oklahoma there is no problem, if they are also banning the transport of broccoli through the state of Oklahoma to other states, then there is a problem.

Consider that if it was that trade for the production state was impacted, then California's prohibitions and restrictions on firearms would be an interstate commerce issue, Tennesee for instance could sue for California's prohibition on sales of 50BMG rifles including those manufactured by Barrett under interstate commerce violations, same with any state with any arms company affected by any regulation or restriction. This has not happened, and I don't think that those states have grounds under interstate commerce. Same issue applies for beer, some states have dry counties, so couldn't that leave a state open to prosecution for affecting the interstate commerce of beer, since it's produced in relatively few areas, or hard liquor like say Bourbon, Kentucky could have a field day with that.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:09 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I haven't decided whether this is a "gun" thread or a "weed" thread.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
...and would it be Constitutional or not?
Yes.

Quote:
.I know this is a silly premise, but let's say that Oklahoma decided to ban the sale of broccoli within the state because it's healthy hippie food from California or something like that. Could they do that?
Yes.

Quote:
At what point would it interfere with interstate commerce?
It would interfere with Interstate Commerce, if the State attempted to block the transportation of broccoli through the State.

Note that California bans a lot of products, or has special rules for products sold in California, however those products are delivered to and through California ports and shipped by rail or truck to other States.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Yes, it is possible. Just one example:

Raw milk and raw milk products are illegal in 21 states.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
...and would it be Constitutional or not?

I know this is a silly premise, but let's say that Oklahoma decided to ban the sale of broccoli within the state because it's healthy hippie food from California or something like that. Could they do that? I know it would be enforceable in restaurants, but what about the general public? At what point would it interfere with interstate commerce?

A state can ban anything it wishes, as long as it does not encroach on the US or State Constitution, but that has not stopped them from trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies