Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It's 20 degrees outside. The low last night was in the low teens. Who would choose to sleep in a box or under a bridge in such conditions willingly? The mentally ill might.

Why don't they vote with the feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Some people like living outdoors. Many are there because of their own life choices. Who are we to interfere?
I don't think very many people are homeless by choice...

Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think very many people are homeless by choice...
He said "life choices".

Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
What has Obama done for them? Nothing. Funny when it is an election year the homeless seem to get attention, not before that. 8 years have passed and not a shelter built.
That is simply not true. https://www.usich.gov/resources/uplo...Assistance.pdf

The feds give the money to state and local governments. The problem is that many cities don't seem to think they need to spend the money on homeless, but instead they pass insane laws like 'illegal possession of a shopping cart' and spend the money arresting and jailing the homeless rather than providing assistance. This 'diversion' of federal homeless assistance has gotten so bad that the Feds are starting to withhold funding from jurisdictions that pass these crazy laws. Another little dirty trick that some cities pull is to hire a private firm (usually someone with political connections to local government) and all them to administer homeless programs but they don't limit how much of the money has to go to direct aid to the intended recipients.

Homelessness is a complex problem and is far bigger than we think, homeless families living in their cars are almost never counted, neither are families living in inadequate housing like motel rooms without a kitchen. Most of the homeless refuse to go to shelters and with good reason, they are more afraid of being assaulted or robbed in a shelter than they are on the streets. Also, most shelters refuse to allow the homeless to bring their property or their pets with them.

I've worked with the homeless and I believe that the only feasible solution is to offer supportive housing like the Housing First program in SLC .

Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
He said "life choices".
So mental illness is a life choice? mkay...

Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why don't they vote with the feet?
I'm assuming that you are implying that if the homeless don't like where they are, they should just move- right? Fair enough but tell me how they might be able to do that.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:02 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
He said "life choices".
True. Life choices led to being homeless.
Life choices led to many of the refugees becoming refugees. What makes them our responsibility? Or what makes them more our responsibility or more deserving of our compassion than our own?
I think most know that I am a center right leaning libertarian. I believe in accountability for ones actions/ choices. That said I am also compassionate towards those who are truly in need. We are too great a nation to allow our citizens to freeze to death or starve to death on our streets.
Once homeless your options to recover are minimal. How do you apply for a job with no address or phone number? How can you go to a job interview smelling like a sewer and dressed in rags?
Good people have ended up homeless due to being laid off or loosing their business.
In my opinion before we spend a dime in foreign aid, or to help refugees (homeless) from other countries we need to take care of our own first and always.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
That is simply not true. https://www.usich.gov/resources/uplo...Assistance.pdf

The feds give the money to state and local governments. The problem is that many cities don't seem to think they need to spend the money on homeless, but instead they pass insane laws like 'illegal possession of a shopping cart' and spend the money arresting and jailing the homeless rather than providing assistance. This 'diversion' of federal homeless assistance has gotten so bad that the Feds are starting to withhold funding from jurisdictions that pass these crazy laws. Another little dirty trick that some cities pull is to hire a private firm (usually someone with political connections to local government) and all them to administer homeless programs but they don't limit how much of the money has to go to direct aid to the intended recipients.

Homelessness is a complex problem and is far bigger than we think, homeless families living in their cars are almost never counted, neither are families living in inadequate housing like motel rooms without a kitchen. Most of the homeless refuse to go to shelters and with good reason, they are more afraid of being assaulted or robbed in a shelter than they are on the streets. Also, most shelters refuse to allow the homeless to bring their property or their pets with them.

I've worked with the homeless and I believe that the only feasible solution is to offer supportive housing like the Housing First program in SLC .
How about the President do what he did for the refugees who flooded across our borders?
How about he do what he's doing for the Syrian refugees?
He doesn't seem to have a problem finding shelter for those people.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Now the Dems in office seem to only care about illegals and refugees.
Do you research that, or just assume it?

Housing for the homeless, either in apartments or group homes, is financed by a bewildering number of federal programs, most of which are losing funding. One crucial federal program, HOME, had been cut by Congress from $1.2 billion to $900 million and then again to $66 million. The homeless languish on waiting lists for months, sometimes years, before getting an apartment paid for by a federal voucher.
“In recent years, Congress has made deep cuts to many programs,” the Center on Budget Priorities and Policy, a progressive Washington research organization, says on its website. “The federal government spends 2.8 times as much on tax subsidies for homeownership—more than half of which benefits households with incomes above $100,000—as on rental assistance.” Bill Boyarsky: Helping the Homeless in the Face of GOP’s Brutal Funding Cuts - Bill Boyarsky - Truthdig

And keep in mind, a good number of the homeless are veterans, take a look at just some of the programs for vets that the GOP blocked

Old 01-19-2016, 10:24 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,528 times
Quote:
So mental illness is a life choice? mkay...
So everyone that's homeless suffers from mental illness? mkay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies