Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people who don't pay taxes be allowed to vote?
Yay! 84 43.30%
Nay! 110 56.70%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Thanks you have proven my point. The progressive tax system makes all equal and allows for a better flow of the economy.
How does overcharging some by a factor of more than 3, given proportionality of income, making anyone equal? Explain the math of how you concluded such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How does overcharging some by a factor of more than 3, given proportionality of income, making anyone equal? Explain the math of how you concluded such.
In this topic, all are able to vote it does not matter what you earn. The rich are not being over charged because it allows the economic system to provide benefits for all levels of income.

The rich have a better chance to lower their tax rate by using their money for tax deductions, call it an incentive, such as job creation, donations to charities, forming a foundation. So the most wealthy are not over charged.

We are all equal thanks to a progressive tax system

Old 01-21-2016, 07:53 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I do not think people who pay $0 in taxes should be allowed to vote. They aren't contributors. They shouldn't get a voice in the country's decisions. Do you agree?
Ok, I'm assuming you mean federal income tax but you don't say that...and you also don't clarify if they shouldn't be allowed to vote in federal elections or also state and local elections.

There are federal taxes on lots of things, state taxes, local taxes and so on and so forth. Income tax is not the only tax.

If you buy a gallon of gas either directly or indirectly by paying a bus fare...you just paid federal taxes and state taxes.

In short, your entire proposal is dumber than a bag full of Kardashians and frankly this leads into my proposal that you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote regardless of your taxation level.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I do not think people who pay $0 in taxes should be allowed to vote. They aren't contributors. They shouldn't get a voice in the country's decisions. Do you agree?
At the beginning of the nation, one had to be a land owner (and male) to vote. Sorry that some haven't evolved beyond this primitive thinking.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
$0 taxes? Be still my heart.

You say that like everyone exercises their right to vote, yet it is a duty, not a right, that many will bypass. Not being allowed to vote, trust, that would bother very few people. In the early 1900's people may have seen it as a privilege and a right as it was presented as such.

The U.S. government is modeled after the creation of the first democracy in Athens. ( Democracy is Born )
The Greek government enacted penalties for those who would not perform their 'civic duty'.
As more and more citizens in the U.S. wake up to the realization that their voice is not being heard, fewer and fewer are going to the polls to perform their civic duty. (the U.S. is importing possible voters in; relaxing immigration laws) They understand that the U.S. government does not consider their voice important enough to be heard. Come voting day, they roll over in their beds and drift back off to sleep.

Voter turnout always drops off for midterm elections, but why? | Pew Research Center
"Voter turnout regularly drops in midterm elections, and has done so since the 1840s."

Unequal voter turnout in U.S. presidential elections: Research brief - Journalist's Resource Journalist's Resource
"About 60% of eligible U.S. voters have cast ballots in recent presidential elections."

PS: Could be if this trend keep up, those who don't vote, will have to face a penalty for not participating.

Obamavote?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The rich are not being over charged because it allows the economic system to provide benefits for all levels of income.
Then why not just charge everyone the same federal income tax rate? The rich would still be paying MUCH more for access to the exact same government benefits and services.

Example, with a tax rate of 10%:

$50,000 earner pays $5,000
$1,000,000 earner pays $100,000

Which of the above is paying more for the exact same thing?

Quote:
The rich have a better chance , call it an incentive, such as job creation, donations to charities, forming a foundation.
Explain how that is so, given the following data from the IRS, compiled in a chart:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...cs/FF491_2.png

Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2015 Update | Tax Foundation

Explain to me how the rich are lowering their tax rates given the facts that the IRS-reported average effective federal income tax rates (at the link above) of the following groups are:

Top 0.1%: 27.91%

Top 1%: 27.08%

Top 25-10%: 10.11%

Top 50-25%: 7.31%

How does the "better chance to lower their tax rate by using their money for tax deductions" result in the top 1% and 0.1% result in their paying a more than 3 times higher tax rate than the top 50-25%?

Show the math of how you came to that conclusion.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:13 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Depends on how you define paying taxes.

The school property tax rate on my rented home is four times the rate on the owner-occupied home next door.

Are you saying the homeowner next door can vote to tax my home at a 4x rate, but I shouldn't get to vote against this unfair tax on my home?
I doubt that. Please show me the proof of that.

I think it's more a case of one owner being there longer than the other, and Oregon's tax laws, not the fact that it's owner occupied versus being a rental.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
The only qualification that should exist is ID to prove citizenship. I for one think less people should pay taxes with a smaller government. 20-30% flat tax and the first $40K exempt. No other exemptions. There needs to be less rules and regulations on almost everything, but some basic common sense rules are fine. There are a hundred reasons why someone could make $0 income, I don't want them all disqualified because 25% of them are bums.

It doesn't simplify government by creating more rules that need to have exemptions. In the end it might effect 1% of the voting population. Even most bums living off the government don't have $0 income.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
In my mind, the right to vote should be what people care about most. The government should not have the authority to take the right away from someone except on cases of treason and anyone who resided in the US legally should be able to participate.

As far as I'm concerned, the first amendment should include the right to vote. What form of expression is there that's more relevant than voting? It's just as important as freedom of press and speech, and objectively more important than freedom of religion.

Voting should be held as more important, unfortunately, sometimes the parties will alienate a group and not want them to vote simply because those people will vote for the opposing party. Which ism you know, pure evil, but hey, Donald Trump speaks him mind, am I right?
we have FOUR amendments that deal with the right to vote, how many more do you want?

Old 01-21-2016, 01:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Only rich white people should be allowed to vote. Everyone knows that, I don't know why people can't just accept it.

Signed,
Rich white person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies