Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 961,134 times

Advertisements

All the presidential candidates ever pander to is Middle-Class families. Supposedly they're the ones who deserve tax breaks.

Well, I'm single, unmarried, no kids, and rent an apartment. Where's my tax break? Why can't I deduct my rent from my income? When are Middle-Class families going to pay back the subsidies I've been giving them through the Earned Income Tax Credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 PM

21,203 posts, read 19,821,421 times
You aren't suggesting that the federal government shouldn't discriminate, are you?

(sarcasm)

Old 01-20-2016, 10:42 PM

45,557 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
All the presidential candidates ever pander to is Middle-Class families. Supposedly they're the ones who deserve tax breaks.

Well, I'm single, unmarried, no kids, and rent an apartment. Where's my tax break? Why can't I deduct my rent from my income? When are Middle-Class families going to pay back the subsidies I've been giving them through the Earned Income Tax Credit?

Go back and see what the EITC is and what income levels it covers. Then rant if you must.

https://www.irs.gov/Credits-&-Deduct...ax-Credit-EITC

Old 01-20-2016, 11:22 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,278 times
How do you define "middle class"?

Based on studies, the middle class is shrinking and it's not because they are stepping up a level, but slowly declining into poverty or just above the poverty level.

Here are some numbers for you.

Goodbye Middle Class: 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year Washington's Blog

5 Charts That Show How the Middle Class Is Disappearing | BillMoyers.com

The middle class isn't going to grow in the future. We are entering the seven-year itch recession. The next few years isn't going to be much good for what is left of the middle class. Those hovering above the poverty level will drop down further and be officially classified as being at the poverty level.

The middle class has been the only "class" that has been paying their "fair" share in taxes. Who do you think has been paying for the wars? Welfare? Whose money has been sent to foreign countries so that they can "develop"?

Old 01-21-2016, 05:40 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,413,079 times
Quote:

I have to believe you will NOT be voting for any candidate who is part of the 'Washington establishment' then. You and millions of people like you need to make your voices heard in the elections. The current group of politicians running congress (and in the White House) are NOT your friends.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,394,821 times
Quote:

There should be a set standard tax liability for every citizen to pay regardless of income class. People that use more government services should then be taxed MORE on top of that.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:54 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,804,506 times
You should do what the government wants you to do: marry, buy a house, open and IRA. Then you'd pay less tax. You can't complain about paying more taxes when you don't do what the government wants.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:14 AM

59,338 posts, read 27,496,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
How do you define "middle class"?

Based on studies, the middle class is shrinking and it's not because they are stepping up a level, but slowly declining into poverty or just above the poverty level.

Here are some numbers for you.

Goodbye Middle Class: 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year Washington's Blog

5 Charts That Show How the Middle Class Is Disappearing | BillMoyers.com

The middle class isn't going to grow in the future. We are entering the seven-year itch recession. The next few years isn't going to be much good for what is left of the middle class. Those hovering above the poverty level will drop down further and be officially classified as being at the poverty level.

The middle class has been the only "class" that has been paying their "fair" share in taxes. Who do you think has been paying for the wars? Welfare? Whose money has been sent to foreign countries so that they can "develop"?
I don't disagree with your premise but, stories like this are useless, "Goodbye Middle Class: 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year Washington's Blog"

$30,00 in NYC is not much but, in say Alabama and you are doing OK.

The COL disparity across the country is enormous.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,525,314 times
Flat tax for every American. The only truly fair solution.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,930,096 times
the democrats rob from the middle class and give to the poor
the republicans rob from the middle class and give to the rich

so cry me a frickin river
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies