Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 10:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
The women who are doing well will keep them barefoot and in the kitchen. OH wait, no, I don't think so... the women probably don't want them because they can't get their s*** together.

As far as political consequences, perhaps more women will be in positions of power and will finally solve many of the issues we are facing. Like, no more stupid wars.

Of course, there is a vast vast surplus of men whom women don't want.

I'd estimate about 25% of men are wanted by women, 25% are tolerable (e.g. women who can't get the top 25% will 'settle for' the next 25%) and the bottom 50% of men are useless and unwanted.

But unwanted men will always be useful as cannon fodder in war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I'd estimate about 25% of men are wanted by women, 25% are tolerable (e.g. women who can't get the top 25% will 'settle for' the next 25%) and the bottom 50% of men are useless and unwanted.

That would mean that 50% of women are choosing to remain single rather than settle.

I find this interesting as I know three women who would love to be married and have families who can't seem to find men. There are unwanted women too.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If women have to be dependent to make them feel like men they're not much of men to begin with. How you feel about yourself should not be dependent on others taking a dependent role to you.

Shrug, I don't want anyone to be dependent on me and I don't want to be dependent on anyone else.

I'm happy to be an equal but poor men are never equals in their society.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Where are you?

Michigan. I've read that our biggest export is educated people.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Shrug, I don't want anyone to be dependent on me and I don't want to be dependent on anyone else.

I'm happy to be an equal but poor men are never equals in their society.

Neither are poor women. Like it or not we have an SES hierarchy. The rich are always at the top.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Michigan. I've read that our biggest export is educated people.

Michigan has made a good comeback vs last decade.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:44 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:

Driven people of both genders do tend to dislike those not driven.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
That would mean that 50% of women are choosing to remain single rather than settle.

I find this interesting as I know three women who would love to be married and have families who can't seem to find men. There are unwanted women too.

There are certainly women who "can't find a decent man" and there are a growing number of men who don't measure up to women's expectations. There's just this Male Fail thing going around and it's getting worse.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Neither are poor women. Like it or not we have an SES hierarchy. The rich are always at the top.

Where do the "educated poor" fit into SES? I like to think my education lifts my SES above a dropout with equal income.

SES used to be fairly straightforward as income and education were more consistent in the past; today there are a growing number of people whose income does not match their education

Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Michigan has made a good comeback vs last decade.

Not from where I sit. Companies still want EXACTLY the experience they want for experienced engineers. That is a sign of a weak job market. In a strong job market they're willing to train people who come close to what they want. Right now if they're willing to train they hire new graduates and I still see boarded up buildings where businesses once thrived. Granted not to the same degree I did 6 years ago but I don't see us as having recovered in the least. Planet Michigan often languishes after everyone else is out of a recession. We're way too dependent on the automotive industry and it does not recover as quickly as other industries especially in a world economy.

This was an interesting recession. If you never lost your job you never experienced the recession. If you did you're likely to be still struggling. At least this is what I see among my peers. The only ones who landed on their feet had something else to fall back on or some specific talent that is hard to come by. The engineers who went into teaching aren't doing well because they have simply stopped giving teachers step increases and districts are demanding cuts every year. We made a logical choice because the state SAID they wanted subject matter experts in the classroom and pretended to value them. Reality is we're not wanted or needed. In fact most schools would just as soon never hire us. I'm lucky to have a job at all. The other engineers I know who work in teaching are at private and charter schools because it's hard to find a job if you're a subject matter expert because schools prefer jack of all trades teachers who fit anywhere. I'm in one of the few districts that actually wants subject matter experts.

I've never understood the aversion to hiring older workers and retraining them. The attitude seems to be that since we didn't fast track or survive the lay offs we're not worth retraining. Our society does not respect older people. We view them as used up. Especially women. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll believe there is a shortage of engineers when 50+ year old engineers can find work. Yes Michigan is recovering and it's not a bad place to be IF you're a new grad or have a specific talent to sell that is in high demand. Not so much if you're just a good worker who got downsized out. Unfortunately, the longer we're out of the game the less likely it will be that we'll get back into it. You really have to make it back in within about a year but the economy was terrible for the first 4 years after we were downsized out. I don't know of anyone who found a job in engineering during that time. I get the run of the mill $28/hour offers from temporary agencies but that won't pay the bills given they don't give benefits.

Not seeing the recovery here. My family is doing well but with the exception of me they all kept their jobs during the recession.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-24-2016 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies