Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

I've often heard this line in defense of Donald Trump, he'll get rid of special interests. I'm not so sure on that. Can someone explain why it is a good idea to vote a former special interest to get rid of special ial interests from politics? I ask because it sounds a little too counter intuitive to me.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:15 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
In theory, he wouldn't be beholden to financial support from special interests because of his great wealth.

However, the wealthy elite are arguably the most damaging special interest of all, and as a member of this interest group, one

would expect him to perpetuate the current policies in favor of it.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
In theory, he wouldn't be beholden to financial support from special interests because of his great wealth.

However, the wealthy elite are arguably the most damaging special interest of all, and as a member of this interest group, one would expect him to perpetuate the current policies in favor of it.
I agree.

Furthermore, I don't find Trump to be offering his own solutions. He is very good at pointing out problems, then -- for the most part -- coming up with popular phrases that the suckers are buying into. There is little substance there.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:27 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

However, the wealthy elite are arguably the most damaging special interest of all, and as a member of this interest group, one

would expect him to perpetuate the current policies in favor of it.
The problem is that you're working from the assumption that the "wealthy elite" are a cohesive group with common interests. That's not the case. They all want to influence legislation, of course, but their interests are broad; cheap labor, tort reform, drug laws, support for Israel, net neutrality, health care policy, environmental laws, etc., etc. And in fact, as a hotelier/real estate mogul, I could make a very strong case that Trump stands to benefit personally from third world immigration, both legal and illegal. Yet, he's campaigning on the promise to act against both. Doesn't that bolster his credibility?

Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Furthermore, I don't find Trump to be offering his own solutions. He is very good at pointing out problems, then -- for the most part -- coming up with popular phrases that the suckers are buying into.
Phrases like "We'll hire the best minds to study that!!"

Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've often heard this line in defense of Donald Trump, he'll get rid of special interests. I'm not so sure on that. Can someone explain why it is a good idea to vote a former special interest to get rid of special ial interests from politics? I ask because it sounds a little too counter intuitive to me.
There is an old Vulcan proverb - only Nixon could go to China .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
The problem is that you're working from the assumption that the "wealthy elite" are a cohesive group with common interests. That's not the case.
Although it is very easy to believe otherwise, ruling classes of any kind are not monolithic. Far from it - they all have a strong tendency to factionalize. You can see the same dynamics at work in ruled classes of all kinds* - divide and rule is very common and effective strategy used to exploit existing factions or to create new ones.

*Which is of course what we have the most experience with.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
The problem is that you're working from the assumption that the "wealthy elite" are a cohesive group with common interests. That's not the case. They all want to influence legislation, of course, but their interests are broad; cheap labor, tort reform, drug laws, support for Israel, net neutrality, health care policy, environmental laws, etc., etc. And in fact, as a hotelier/real estate mogul, I could make a very strong case that Trump stands to benefit personally from third world immigration, both legal and illegal. Yet, he's campaigning on the promise to act against both. Doesn't that bolster his credibility?
Trump claimed he was against cheap labor yet hired outsource firms to work on his buildings that hire immigrants and had his Macy's clothing line done in China. If Trump REALLY cared about American workers getting work over foreign workers, his business track record would show this.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump claimed he was against cheap labor yet hired outsource firms to work on his buildings that hire immigrants and had his Macy's clothing line done in China. If Trump REALLY cared about American workers getting work over foreign workers, his business track record would show this.
Trump didn't create the global economy. But like any businessman, he has to compete in it. He wants to renegotiate all of our trade deals which have been disastrous for the working class. He admits he's had to play the game, but he wants to change the rules. Not to benefit himself, but the American worker.

Given his wealth/position, Trump is free from the influence of special interests. He's not an insider, so he's able to buck the Washington consensus. He doesn't need to put on a yarmulke and kneel in front of AIPAC, or beg support from(trade favors with) the likes of Adelson, Soros, the Kochs, etc. He doesn't need to play nice with the elite media and hope they give him ample and fair coverage. Who else in this race is in the position to do that?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:37 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Trump didn't create the global economy. But like any businessman, he has to compete in it. He wants to renegotiate all of our trade deals which have been disastrous for the working class. He admits he's had to play the game, but he wants to change the rules. Not to benefit himself, but the American worker.

Given his wealth/position, Trump is free from the influence of special interests. He's not an insider, so he's able to buck the Washington consensus. He doesn't need to put on a yarmulke and kneel in front of AIPAC, or beg support from(trade favors with) the likes of Adelson, Soros, the Kochs, etc. He doesn't need to play nice with the elite media and hope they give him ample and fair coverage. Who else in this race is in the position to do that?
Ok so "president trump" is not beholding to any of the big players in industry. So how does he move his agenda forward by getting congress to vote in his favor with people who are beholding to the big players.

We know he is rich, very very rich but do you think for one second Trump is going to dig into his own bank account to sway the voters in congress?

Trump may have a lot of money but he doesn't have all the money.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
No one is going to just get rid of special interests because they are entrenched throughout the process. I don't know enough about Trump to say he'll be less impacted...but I'd rank him ahead of Hillary and behind Sanders in my expectations.

I mean dear god, if you don't recognize that there is some hyperbole and big empty promises in presidential campaigns you probably weren't around in 2008 where not only did they promise to take the profits from a private company....not because they were a large % but just because they were "big". (Gross constitutional violation on top of that)

One great irony. The companies making 30 cents a gallon had to come get abused for political points in the Senate by the guys making $1 a gallon in various direct and indirect taxation.

THEN the oil companies were the foundation of the economic recovery.

Just hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.