Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 AM

89 posts, read 141,966 times

Advertisements

I can't help but wonder this. And I find it a legitimate question. Why is it that only the Western World (Europe, U.S & Canada, Australia, S. Africa) is pressured to contain a complete cross-section of the entire world? Why are these regions pressured to be 'multi-cultural' and inclusive, but non-western regions are not. For instance, Rwanda, Bhutan, and Laos are a far cry from multi-cultural. There are no quotas protecting women and other so-called 'minorities.' Go to any non-western nation and see how they feel about 'diversity' and 'equal representation.' Perhaps the most diverse nation is India, which is outside the Western World, but you'll find strife and sectionalism rather than western 'political correctness.'

Interesting that many non-western regions practice patriarchy, arranged marriages, strictly defined male/female roles with no tolerance for deviations. And freedom to voice counter-opinions against traditional values of the society... forget it! Oh... and gay rights? Yeah right! Where is it in the world where same-sex marriages are legal? Oh yeah, the Western World! (at least most of it.)

I notice that no self-labeled 'liberal' ever complains about these places and their lack of diversity. So why is it that the western world needs to welcome and house people from all over, where as the non-western world is just fine being homogeneous cultures and nation-states???

Now personally, I believe that people should be free to practice whatever culture they choose (providing it doesn't interfere with others' free-choice). However, everyone must understand that there are certain cultural and faith practices that are non-condusive to economic and technical development. I hardly see why others are financially obligated to compensate said practitioners of said culture for the natural outcome of such practices, however.

So why is it that Western countries have to have representatives of cultures the world over, where other areas do not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:00 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
I can't help but wonder this. And I find it a legitimate question. Why is it that only the Western World (Europe, U.S & Canada, Australia, S. Africa) is pressured to contain a complete cross-section of the entire world? Why are these regions pressured to be 'multi-cultural' and inclusive, but non-western regions are not. For instance, Rwanda, Bhutan, and Laos are a far cry from multi-cultural. There are no quotas protecting women and other so-called 'minorities.' Go to any non-western nation and see how they feel about 'diversity' and 'equal representation.' Perhaps the most diverse nation is India, which is outside the Western World, but you'll find strife and sectionalism rather than western 'political correctness.'

Interesting that many non-western regions practice patriarchy, arranged marriages, strictly defined male/female roles with no tolerance for deviations. And freedom to voice counter-opinions against traditional values of the society... forget it! Oh... and gay rights? Yeah right! Where is it in the world where same-sex marriages are legal? Oh yeah, the Western World! (at least most of it.)

I notice that no self-labeled 'liberal' ever complains about these places and their lack of diversity. So why is it that the western world needs to welcome and house people from all over, where as the non-western world is just fine being homogeneous cultures and nation-states???

Now personally, I believe that people should be free to practice whatever culture they choose (providing it doesn't interfere with others' free-choice). However, everyone must understand that there are certain cultural and faith practices that are non-condusive to economic and technical development. I hardly see why others are financially obligated to compensate said practitioners of said culture for the natural outcome of such practices, however.

So why is it that Western countries have to have representatives of cultures the world over, where other areas do not?
Probably because ignorant people WANT to see the world "level" when talking about life but, those same attitudes DON'T apply to themselves.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:

Never seen one post a thread complaining about it here either.

Maybe they can start a March on the UN?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Some of it has to do with the covert racism of progressives. They feel the need to apply lower standards to people and societies of color, because they consider them less capable.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Some of it has to do with the covert racism of progressives. They feel the need to apply lower standards to people and societies of color, because they consider them less capable.
Tho that does NOT apply to Arabs because they're also "white", they def ain't "people of color" here in the US tho some do whine about racism.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Tho that does NOT apply to Arabs because they're also "white", they def ain't "people of color" here in the US tho some do whine about racism.
Okay, covert cultural superiority, then. And considering that the Arabs haven't done much for civilization since inventing algebra, there is some justification for tut-tutting their societies.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:52 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I would have been quite happy without the algebra.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:11 AM

4,659 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, covert cultural superiority, then. And considering that the Arabs haven't done much for civilization since inventing algebra, there is some justification for tut-tutting their societies.
The Greeks and several other people's had their own forms of algebra.

As for the question...

A) Because white people are held to higher standards than others

B) Because the left pushes "diversity" with a religious fervor and conviction completely divorced from results

C) Becasue western societies and their imitators are by far the most succesful on the planet and it is comical to think of westerners actually wanting to move en masse to some of the dumps our immigrants come from

Hope this helps.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:47 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:

Because we are The Evil White People, and Everything Is OUR FAULT.

Of course, that is complete B.S. to anyone who has studied history or has any common sense, but...there it is...

I'm glad that you are not being conned.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I could care less about "diversity" so long as the diverse do not try to impose their characteristics on me or my society. For instance I dislike some Fundamentalist Muslim telling me my soul will go to hell because I do not believe their nonsense just as much as I disbelieve some Fundamentalist Christian with the same message. Keep your nonsense to yourselves and stay out of politics and law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies