Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This was the 2nd biggest stormm NYC ever had .1 inch from the record at Central Park (other locations around NYC had a record snowfall).
It doesn't look bad to me, that's all. I am surprised they failed to keep the airport runways clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, people in New York normally have no food in their house, don't own snow shovels even though it snows there every winter and can't survive in their house for even a few minutes if the power goes out?

An even bigger question is why any of it is the top news story where I am. Idaho.

We have snow storms just like that or worse and it doesn't make the national news. In December there was a huge storm with power outages. It was out for weeks in some areas. There was a year we had three feet of snow within a few hours. School wasn't cancelled 3 days before it happened.

New York has a rush to by food and snow shovels and the news is instructing them to move in with someone else as soon as the power goes out. It snows every year there yet they're always surprised by it somehow. Explain this to me.
Perhaps the size of the storm was news worthy

Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Ain't no thing. Skim through these pictures taken in my neck of the woods today. Fun will be had by all!

Leader

Fun surf boarding

Nothing to see here folks.

USA Today even thinks it's nothing!

/sarcasm
I saw the flooding in Wildwood, NJ on the news, pretty bad. I didn't hear if other communities in NJ were impacted.

Yes if you get 3 feet of snow in Idaho school is still open because you don't have nearly the traffic of the NY metropolitan area, a few hundred people living hundreds of miles apart is quite different than a few million people living a few feet apart. There is more traffic on the LIE in 5 minutes than the entire state of Idaho, not to mention very few places to put the snow.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Bunch o whiners. It's 72 and sunny here today in AZ. I think we'll go jet skiing on the river later. . Enjoy that snow thing.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:38 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Bunch o whiners. It's 72 and sunny here today in AZ. I think we'll go jet skiing on the river later. . Enjoy that snow thing.
Poor thing, I pray for your safety

Old 01-24-2016, 02:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Lol that's nothing. My hometown is 83 degrees, partly cloudy, with a water temp of about 75

Old 01-24-2016, 03:02 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
30 inches in Harrisburg, PA, the state capitol. 32 in Somerset PA in the area of the PA turnpike closure for over 24 hours with hundreds of stranded people on Friday night and all day Saturday.

Those are record amounts of snow for those areas.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
how many people in Idaho? 1.6 million

nice job comparing that to 8 MILLION in ONE city.

have you ever even been to NY? doesn't sound like it. maybe then you'd understand the enormity of taking care of a city that size and population.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

have you ever even been to NY? doesn't sound like it. maybe then you'd understand the enormity of taking care of a city that size and population.
Obviously a larger city has more people and resources to handle it.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

That could be the point the op is trying to make. Why is a storm in NYC more important just because there are more people there? I remember a huge snow storm in the mountains of NC back in the 60's. Government was dropping food from the air while most of the people who were residents of the area were laughing about it. When winter starts in the mountains most farm families have enough food and wood to last the winter. Some of the poorer people might need help, but most others had no problem more than trying to keep the animals fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies