Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 03:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

It's obvious, really. Big Government is wasteful, abusive, ineffective and kills freedom. And yet we get more of it every year. Big Government encourages crony capitalism, rewards losers, encourages irresponsibility and penalizes responsible behavior.
------
The Obama Administration can insist that it's winning the war on terror and that the Affordable Care Act is working, but Americans don't agree. A new poll from the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research shows the majority of Americans (six in ten) have little to no confidence that the federal government may actually fix problems. The skepticism cuts across party lines.

Decades of Big Government Result in Massive Doubts It Fixes Anything - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 04:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
"Though it may seem somewhat contradictory, the poll answers could help explain the popularity of strongman candidates with populist appeal like Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. While it's been common for candidates to try to present themselves as political outsiders no matter how much they've fed at the public trough, nobody has managed to ride that populist wave in recent elections like Trump and Sanders (even though neither of them are actual outsiders, either).

They're not promising to "reform" the system. They're promising to either bypass it entirely (Trump) or break it entirely and rebuild it (Sanders). They're promising to make big government work for their constituency."

Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Congress is so in bed with billionaires that we should give them all no show jobs.

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
It is not partisan...
"people ...seem to understand that the big government that exists is not working in their interests. The challenge is getting them to understand that this is the nature of big government and inherent in federal bureaucracy, and not because of a particularly special political dynamic that is in play just at this moment."

412 posts, read 451,682 times
And why not? The constant bad mouthing of government by entrenched wealthy corporate interests is working. Don't like regulations, just destroy the country to get rid of the regulation. Want more power, just convince people that Obama (or whoever is President) is gonna get your guns.

I don't know where or how it is going to end, but it isn't going to be pretty and a lot of people will get hurt in the process. We may not have a United States of America much longer.

Before anyone accuses me of being a liberal and this is sour grapes or anti gun, know that I am registered Republican and a life member of the NRA.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
I certainly don't want to see the end of the USA, but I think we would all be better off if we split into five or ten countries with trade and defense agreements. Nobody or group of people can manage an annual spend of $3.7 trillion.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Yes, only the federal government is corrupt.

The state and local govs are cleaner than a virgin's honeypot.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:07 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Our system is starting to resemble all the anti communist cartoons I had to watch in history class. That kind of has me concerned. I know we have the freedom to free enterprise, but it seems like the odds are stacked against us. Too much dead weight to be carried.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes, only the federal government is corrupt.

The state and local govs are cleaner than a virgin's honeypot.
Not to mention the private sector....

Government is just a system devised by man, the problem is man is easily corruptible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies