Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:24 AM

746 posts, read 846,416 times

Advertisements

Yup, another controversial topic from me, please if you do not like the idea please do not read. If you can understand and debate the topic with some substance please respond. There is no need to act childish and attack me- Thanks

It could certainly be argued that the leaders of some of the most notorious gangs in this country would make great CEO’s. No one in their right mind would obviously reward a Gang Leader with the coveted CEO of the year award or call a Gang Leader a “Titan of their Industry, Visionary, or Entrepreneur Success Story.” However, it can definitely be argued, that these people whether mistakenly or actually understand the very fundamentals that drive capitalism and are very successful at making it work. My argument centers on the comparison of various Gang Leaders to Various CEO’s. Many CEO’s, run failing corporations and have no idea how to get a handle on their industry or make their companies more efficient. Yet many of the largest gang leaders have successful, cut cost, increased margin, moved into new business ventures (albeit illegal), and all while increasing membership.
  • What if Gangs were publicly traded companies (just think outside of the box), which Gang “companies” would offer the greatest return to shareholders?
  • What sorts of classification of stocks would the Gang Industry Fall under? (eg. Would they be small cap growth stocks, because of their high risk and high returns? Or could there ever be such thing as a “gang blue chip stock”eg, well established Gang Corps that pays dividends?)
  • What Government legislation and rules could further prevent Gangs from raking in large sums of money? (Yes, the simple fact that they’re engaging in illegal activity is the obvious answer, but what other restrictions could the government impose on the “Gang Industry” that would make it harder for them to make a profit?)
  • Who is more accountable to their “shareholders” legal Corporate CEO’s or illegal Gang CEO’s?
  • Are Gangs more successful because they operate in a highly unregulated Industry (meaning that besides the fact that most of their products, pot, heroin, cocaine, crack-cocaine, and prostitution are illegal there are no federal regulations, standards or requirments they must meet to distribute such products etc)?
In closing I’m not making the argument, that Gangs should be considered legal Corporations, but I am making the argument, that their business structure is extremely similar to a multination corporation and yet their CEO’s (Gang Leaders) under more risk and uncertainty (due to the illegality of their business) tend to do a better job of creating value, expanding employment, cutting cost, growing revenues, and entering new business markets than most CEO’s of legal corporations. (Not to mention these people are supposed to be stupid and not very intelligent (No Harvard MBA's or Dartmouth MBA's etc).

PS. I could also make the argument that because of so much competition from other Gangs and the Federal Government (due to being illegal), gangs are constantly pushed to be innovative and adopt new sophisticated technology to avoid apprehension.

Drugs and Gangs Fast Facts

Last edited by truthhurts; 02-07-2008 at 05:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 147,151 times
I wouldn't doubt that they would. The same could be said for the major drug kingpins out there. A lot of these guys are genuises who choose the wrong path.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Drug dealers often live with their mothers. They make so little money because of what they have to pay to the guy that gives them the drugs to sell. Then you've got that level of management who then reports to another group above them. Like the smoke from a crack pipe, it slowly rises all the way up. The money never trickles back down.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:30 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Drug dealers often live with their mothers. They make so little money because of what they have to pay to the guy that gives them the drugs to sell. Then you've got that level of management who then reports to another group above them. Like the smoke from a crack pipe, it slowly rises all the way up. The money never trickles back down.
Just like McDonald's. The CEO makes big bucks and the workers make minimum wage. There is a great discussion of this in Steven Levitt's book "Freakonomics".

Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM

746 posts, read 846,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

Good point paperhouse, but those "drug dealers" living with their mama's are as much as "rappers" would like to think of themselves as miny king pins are nothing more than low level workers. They are mercenary foot soliders, that make peanuts, so i'm not talking about inner city youth at the bottom scale. I'm talking aobut the guys at the top of these gangs or drug cartels.

They know what they're doing and my argument is, they operate more efficent cost cutting companies than most CEO's operating legal businesses. I also could make the argument they are more accoutable to thier "shareholders" thus if a drug CEO screws up, he may die, or be killed by someone in his own group. If a US CEO running a legal business screws up he's paid a 5 million in salary and allowed to stay on. At worse he's giving the walking papers from the board or shareholders and 20 million in goodbye money. Hehe that would never happen in an illegal business. You screw up, you die, so you're going to be a lot more accountable to your shareholders.

Anyway I wish someone would have answerd some of my question, so we could debate that.

BTW the mention of Freakenomcis was a great one! It is one of my all-time favorite books, but answer some of my question in the OP. I'd like to hear those responses.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
What if Gangs were publicly traded companies (just think outside of the box), which Gang “companies” would offer the greatest return to shareholders? Uh...MS-13?!

What sorts of classification of stocks would the Gang Industry Fall under? (eg. Would they be small cap growth stocks, because of their high risk and high returns? Or could there ever be such thing as a “gang blue chip stock”eg, well established Gang Corps that pays dividends?) Penny stocks?!

What Government legislation and rules could further prevent Gangs from raking in large sums of money? (Yes, the simple fact that they’re engaging in illegal activity is the obvious answer, but what other restrictions could the government impose on the “Gang Industry” that would make it harder for them to make a profit?) Legalize trade and impose a 'sin-tax'.

Who is more accountable to their “shareholders” legal Corporate CEO’s or illegal Gang CEO’s? Neither?!

Are Gangs more successful because they operate in a highly unregulated Industry (meaning that besides the fact that most of their products, pot, heroin, cocaine, crack-cocaine, and prostitution are illegal there are no federal regulations, standards or requirments they must meet to distribute such products etc)? Yes, they work in a environment where exploitation is the name of the game.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Red = Blue Grass Fever
Green = Marodi

What if Gangs were publicly traded companies (just think outside of the box), which Gang “companies” would offer the greatest return to shareholders? Uh...MS-13?! Hells Angels
What sorts of classification of stocks would the Gang Industry Fall under? (eg. Would they be small cap growth stocks, because of their high risk and high returns? Or could there ever be such thing as a “gang blue chip stock”eg, well established Gang Corps that pays dividends?) Penny stocks?! Depends on size. Small city ones would be penny, state small cap, regional mid cap, national and internation large cap. That would be my guess atleast.

What Government legislation and rules could further prevent Gangs from raking in large sums of money? (Yes, the simple fact that they’re engaging in illegal activity is the obvious answer, but what other restrictions could the government impose on the “Gang Industry” that would make it harder for them to make a profit?) Legalize trade and impose a 'sin-tax'. Requiring it to be sold in state stores

Who is more accountable to their “shareholders” legal Corporate CEO’s or illegal Gang CEO’s? Neither?! Illegal, because if he gets shot, no one would really care. If you shot a big-wig corporate ceo, you'd be public enemy number one.

Are Gangs more successful because they operate in a highly unregulated Industry (meaning that besides the fact that most of their products, pot, heroin, cocaine, crack-cocaine, and prostitution are illegal there are no federal regulations, standards or requirments they must meet to distribute such products etc)? Yes, they work in a environment where exploitation is the name of the game.Because you are dealing something that is addictive just like cigarettes. Cost of production is low, so it's all about who wants what profit.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Crack dealers on the street actually make $5 an hour.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Crack dealers on the street actually make $5 an hour.
You know this how exactly?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You know this how exactly?
Its in that book that was mentioned above, Freakonomics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies