Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:25 PM

105 posts, read 271,391 times

Advertisements

But seriously, I think having some form of National Service is an interesting idea. First, let's get past the "mandatory" or "conscription" part. I'm thinking more along the lines of "strong incentives". Perhaps it would make college cheaper, lower the drinking age to 20, provide valuable job training or apprenticeships, count as time served for nonviolent offenders... I'm sure we could come up with others.

Now obviously military enlistment will continue to be a term of indenture which you can't just quit on a whim. The reasons for this are obvious to me and my fellow veterans. But that doesn't mean the entire program has to work that way. You can go with for a more flexible option, but the incentives might not be as good. You can opt out completely, but you'll be missing out on what the program has to offer.

Lots of people aren't really mature enough at 18 to take college seriously or to make other life changing decisions. Right now a lot of kids spend those early years right after high school racking up student debt when they don't really understand the value of a dollar. Who benefits from this system? Certainly not society at large or most students. We can and should provide better alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies