Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

Looks like the claims were justified.

Hearing about some of the issues there made me sick. But honestly, I'm sure there's stories like that all over this country. They just get swept under the rug.

McCullough's been reprimanded by his fellow lawyers, the mayor and gov are in hot water, and it was still never proven that Darren Wilson was justified in the shooting.

We have issues as a country. People's lives are being ruined, hurt, or worse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6709660.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
So a suit by the justice dept automatically means guilt in your eyes? I'd feel their case would have more merit if it was a criminal case instead of a lawsuit. A criminal case requires a higher standard for a guilty verdict. A lawsuit requires a lower standard than a criminal case. Filing a lawsuit shows desperation and being vindictive for racist reasons.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
The only surprise is that Holder isn't planning a racial discrimination lawsuit against the whole state of Missouri or better yet, all 50 states and the federal government.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
The Obama administration will continue to make Ferguson pay for the sin of being the place where Mike Brown died.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Department of Justice filed a civil rights lawsuit against Ferguson, Mo., on Wednesday, less than a day after the city rejected an agreement to overhaul its beleaguered criminal justice system and address allegations of widespread abuses by its police department...
Ferguson’s own lawyer has said that fighting a suit will probably cost millions of dollars, well more than the city has budgeted. Nevertheless, Mayor James Knowles III said, “It will cost more to implement the agreement than it will be to fight a lawsuit.” He added, “There’s no point in agreeing to something we can’t afford.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/us...deal.html?_r=0

Old 02-11-2016, 03:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
The thing I still find odd.........Ferguson might be all of these things but it pales in comparison to the racism and unconstitutional actions that was NYC's Stop and Frisk. There was no actions taken by the administration over that.

Also, what happen to Garner was far more questionable than what happened to Brown.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:44 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The Obama administration will continue to make Ferguson pay for the sin of being the place where Mike Brown died.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/us...deal.html?_r=0

They had an agreement and Ferguson reneged, let's not read in something that doesn't exist. They needed to raise taxes since they can no longer balance their budget on a corrupt police department and justice system, simple as that. Read through some of the examples of how they treated minorities for traffic infractions and tell me they don't need to reform.

"The result of the federal investigation was a scathing report that concluded last year that Ferguson’s criminal justice system was broken at every level. It said police officers used excessive force almost exclusively against African-Americans and did not know the basic standard for making an arrest. Investigators concluded that the city’s Police Department and court operated not as independent bodies but as a moneymaking venture to pad Ferguson’s budget."

Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They had an agreement and Ferguson reneged, let's not read in something that doesn't exist. They needed to raise taxes since they can no longer balance their budget on a corrupt police department and justice system, simple as that. Read through some of the examples of how they treated minorities for traffic infractions and tell me they don't need to reform.

"The result of the federal investigation was a scathing report that concluded last year that Ferguson’s criminal justice system was broken at every level. It said police officers used excessive force almost exclusively against African-Americans and did not know the basic standard for making an arrest. Investigators concluded that the city’s Police Department and court operated not as independent bodies but as a moneymaking venture to pad Ferguson’s budget."

This is no different than ANY small town with a known speed trap. Also, the police would not have you use ANY force if when stopped, people would keep their mouth shut and do exactly what the police tell them to do.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:25 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Hearing about some of the issues there made me sick. But honestly, I'm sure there's stories like that all over this country. They just get swept under the rug.

McCullough's been reprimanded by his fellow lawyers, the mayor and gov are in hot water, and it was still never proven that Darren Wilson was justified in the shooting.

Justice Department Preparing Racial Discrimination Lawsuit Against Ferguson Police: Report
Huff Post.

Sorry, I don't get my news from a comedy rag!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

"The result of the federal investigation was a scathing report that concluded last year that Ferguson’s criminal justice system was broken at every level."

Pot, meet kettle.

Obama's DoJ is the MOST " broken at every level." I have seen in my time.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:45 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Justice Department Preparing Racial Discrimination Lawsuit Against Ferguson Police: Report
The DOJ is no longer respected under obama.

Hope Furgeson resists the feds. Let the feds sue and bankrupt the town and everyone leave.

The feds could do that to pretty much every town in America.

The former head of the DOJ lied on a warrant and judge shopped to spy on journalists. Didn't know anything about F&F and has lost all respect and trust.

Sure some things need to be fixed but this is a pure act of political revenge by the feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies