Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,687,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
I've been legal to vote since Clinton's first run, but I have never voted because I've never lived in a state where my vote meant anything. (WA, OR, TX). I find that I'm not alone in this area, most of my friends don't vote for the same reason.

What would it take to get you to vote in a presidential election? For me, it's a popular vote or nothing.
I am the same age as you and the only presidential election I ever voted in was in 2004. I have always been very interested in politics, and I strongly advocate for my preferred candidate in every election, but I don't usually vote for the same reason you don't. There is no reason to if you live in a state that tilts heavily one way or the other. The only time I made sure I voted (and I would have voted 10,000 times if I could have gotten away with it) was to vote AGAINST Bush. Damn, that man was a disaster. I wish he would run again so I could vote against him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,640,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not meaningless. Are you saying that if everyone voting for the blue candidate in a blue state decided their vote was meaningless and just stayed home that nothing would end up differently?

Looks like what you said, not me.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,394,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Looks like what you said, not me.
Seems you don't know what you said then. It's a simple question. Answer it.

It's odd how hard it is to get people to answer questions about ideas they themselves present.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,177,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It would take a fight to KEEP me from voting.
Same here. There's no surer way to have your vote not count than to not vote at all.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:07 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,859,810 times
I always vote, but sometimes I abstain from voting in one race or another. Probably going to do that in the Presidential this year. No good options at all and I refuse to vote for the either of the idiots each party seems bent on nominating.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:08 PM

269 posts, read 179,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Same here. There's no surer way to have your vote not count than to not vote at all.
But in a presidential election, your vote doesn't count in most states.

I vote, I just don't vote in presidential elections because there is simply no point. I live in WA. It blows me away that so many people really don't understand this.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,640,804 times
Quote:
Seems you don't know what you said then. It's a simple question. Answer it.

It's odd how hard it is to get people to answer questions about ideas they themselves present.
You have the answer to your red herring.

Read it.

It's odd how some will make up ridiculous deflections and then take them self-seriously.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM

1,166 posts, read 759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
I've been legal to vote since Clinton's first run, but I have never voted because I've never lived in a state where my vote meant anything. (WA, OR, TX). I find that I'm not alone in this area, most of my friends don't vote for the same reason.

What would it take to get you to vote in a presidential election? For me, it's a popular vote or nothing.

There is no point in voting with the electoral college in place. That should be eliminated ASAP and replaced with a true one person one vote popular vote system. The idea that someone can become President even though more people voted for someone else is appalling. The electoral college also gives rural states power that does not match their population or contribution to the country as a whole.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM

269 posts, read 179,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What would it take to get you to vote in a presidential election?" Being an American is the best reason I can think of.

I have NEVER NOT voted even though I lived in a one party, not mine, state.

There are many things to vote for at election time, local people, issues etc.

"If you are NOT part of the solution, you are part of the PROBLEM'"

So your vote is meaningless in a presidential election, but you think it matters. OK got ya

I vote at the local and state level if it's something that actually matters, but that's it.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 759,397 times
Quote:
Folks like yourself should quit telling people their votes don't count. They do.

BS, no national election has ever been decided by a tiny number of votes much less one vote. The reality is that no person's vote ever really matters in the grand scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies