Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,748,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I grew up in a very blue state hearing stories from my parents and grandparents about how much dems did for the poor, working and middle classes. Thus, for a long time I was a staunch democrat. Well, until dems really lost their way. For example, the dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the workforce all due to illegal immigration. They also would not have been happy to see Americans being deliberately displaced by H1-B visa holders. And those dems of yore would have done something about it---and I don't mean amnesty, nor do I mean bringing in even more H1-Bs. Instead, they would have fought for their constituents. Once upon a time you could have counted on the dems to fight for Americans.

Today's dems put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans. They also don't care about Americans who have been displaced by H1-B visa holders. Even worse, they fight tooth and nail for illegal aliens, without so much of a single thought as to how this negatively affects Americans.

Libs once were very concerned about overpopulation and pushed for zero population growth. Many even decided to not have children because they didn't want to contribute to overpopulation. Fast forward to today---libs wring their hands over the environment all the while refusing to secure our borders or deporting illegal aliens. They think nothing about allowing 1 million legal immigrants into this country per annum with no thought about whether or not the infrastructure is there or the natural resources to deal with so many people.

Neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time I expected much, much more from the dems---and they delivered. Sadly, this is no longer the case.

Excellent post!! Spot on too, you really nailed it in my opinion. I'm not even a Democrat, but I think you're right, especially the illegals and how they seem to be given more thought than our own people here and you're right, neither party is really looking out for the American people, they give it lip service, but that's about it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,100,466 times
Both parties are currently bought and run by big money from corporations and the rich. The Republicans lean more right on social issues and the Dems left. But the reality is that the country moves very little in either direction when it comes to financial and foreign policy. So they spend time and money to keep the masses fighting on social issues like gay marriage, planned parenthood etc while robbing the people left and right.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM

525 posts, read 454,470 times
Honestly, I'm only registering as a democrat to vote for Sanders and because my only other feasible option would be the GOP. Otherwise, I would, without a shadow of a doubt, affiliate myself with the Green Party. Their ideology pretty much matches mine to a t. Alas, I doubt they'll ever become even close to prominent, especially in such a conservative country.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 PM

27,163 posts, read 15,338,717 times
Quote:
I grew up in a very blue state hearing stories from my parents and grandparents about how much dems did for the poor, working and middle classes. Thus, for a long time I was a staunch democrat. Well, until dems really lost their way. For example, the dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the workforce all due to illegal immigration. They also would not have been happy to see Americans being deliberately displaced by H1-B visa holders. And those dems of yore would have done something about it---and I don't mean amnesty, nor do I mean bringing in even more H1-Bs. Instead, they would have fought for their constituents. Once upon a time you could have counted on the dems to fight for Americans.

Today's dems put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans. They also don't care about Americans who have been displaced by H1-B visa holders. Even worse, they fight tooth and nail for illegal aliens, without so much of a single thought as to how this negatively affects Americans.

Libs once were very concerned about overpopulation and pushed for zero population growth. Many even decided to not have children because they didn't want to contribute to overpopulation. Fast forward to today---libs wring their hands over the environment all the while refusing to secure our borders or deporting illegal aliens. They think nothing about allowing 1 million legal immigrants into this country per annum with no thought about whether or not the infrastructure is there or the natural resources to deal with so many people.

Neither party is looking out for Americans. However, at one time I expected much, much more from the dems---and they delivered. Sadly, this is no longer the case.

This had been going on by the Dems at least since the '60s.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,822,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
So for as long as I can remember, I have supported Democrats and identified with liberal stances on issues and policies. Yet lately, I have been having a difficult time with a significant segment of Democrats - specifically, the grassroots activist base. The main thing that has been rubbing me the wrong way is the notion among many among the "base" that the U.S. somehow shouldn't be nearly as involved in the affairs of the world, and that all wars are inherently unjust and/or preventable, and that the federal government - especially the President, relevant members of the Cabinet, relevant intelligence and security agencies, the military, the diplomatic corps, and the Congress - are not immediately responsible for the safety and security of Americans at home and abroad.

Does the Constitution not explicitly state (or at the very least, strongly imply) that "providing for the common defense" is the first duty of the U.S. federal government? And in an era in which Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Boko Haram, et.al. are wreaking havoc throughout much the world, Iran, Turkey, Russia, and China are aggressively asserting their power and influence (either directly or through proxies), the House of Saud is in danger of being overthrown (and which would inevitably be replaced by something even more odious - as hard as that is to imagine!), North Korea is frighteningly unpredictable...and that's just internationally! Closer to home, the drug cartels in Mexico and Central America are also a serious threat (certainly, they have the potential to be such a threat) to the security of the United States. And last but not least, there's the threat of domestic terrorism (including - but not limited to - Al-Qaeda/ISIS-inspired sources).

People always use that Ben Franklin quote about liberty and security, but let's be real...the primary (though granted, not only) reason we have the former in America is because we have the latter (relative to much of the world, at least).

Now, the stated reason for the hard-line liberals opposing all of this is because they figure, "if we can afford trillions of dollars on wars and the military, we can afford much more spending on liberal/progressive domestic policies and social welfare programs!" Don't get me wrong...I broadly support that liberal domestic agenda. But I'm also a realist, and pragmatic enough to know and understand that defending the American people - and America's interests, at home and abroad - is the immediate priority and responsibility of our federal government.

So that's my (semi) rant.
The way I look at it is military spending can and should be cut, but we should be smart about it. This country should fund what it needs. Too much military funding goes into the pockets of defense contractors for equipment that the troops don't need, while at the same time, troop pay gets cut and some even get dismissed. This shouldn't be.

Unfortunately, so much money, power, and corruption is tied up in the entire thing that I don't see it getting fixed any time soon. The honorable men and women fighting for our country will take the brunt of the pain while the defense contractors will continue to line their pockets. They have bought off the politicians, Republican and Democrat.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:05 PM

32,083 posts, read 15,085,780 times
Quote:

Are you talking about minimum wage jobs? How many millions of americans can't get work at McDonalds or other places like that. How many can't get cleaning jobs or the grunt work of landscaping jobs. There are many minimum wage jobs out there. Illegals don't get the high paying jobs you know.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you talking about minimum wage jobs? How many millions of americans can't get work at McDonalds or other places like that. How many can't get cleaning jobs or the grunt work of landscaping jobs. There are many minimum wage jobs out there. Illegals don't get the high paying jobs you know.
At one time, some of those jobs paid a heckuva lot better. Then we got flooded with illegals who depressed the wages and displaced Americans.

You would be surprised at how many Americans can't get work at McDonald's. In many places, if you don't speak Spanish, they won't hire you. At one time, Americans who were in HS or college could count on those jobs, as could senior citizens who wanted to augment their retirement income.

There is no excuse for illegals to be taking jobs in this country. Period.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:11 PM

32,083 posts, read 15,085,780 times
Quote:
At one time, some of those jobs paid a heckuva lot better. Then we got flooded with illegals who depressed the wages and displaced Americans.

You would be surprised at how many Americans can't get work at McDonald's. In many places, if you don't speak Spanish, they won't hire you. At one time, Americans who were in HS or college could count on those jobs, as could senior citizens who wanted to augment their retirement income.

There is no excuse for illegals to be taking jobs in this country. Period.
Yes, I would be. So please enlighten me. High school and college kids could still get these jobs but they don't want them. Many of them have internships in their field.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:46 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes, I would be. So please enlighten me. High school and college kids could still get these jobs but they don't want them. Many of them have internships in their field.
No, they can't get those jobs so easily in places infested with illegals. As I said, many places require them to know Spanish because so many illegals have those jobs.

Do some googling.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,551,856 times
You'll never get a leftist to admit the deluge of immigrants depresses wages.

It's just no in their OFA talking point emails, so it's a prohibited thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies