Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:38 PM

3,867 posts, read 2,244,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Ask your grandparents what ...

Jesus, read your history, then actually COMPREHEND what you are reading.
I get all kinds of mixed messages from the older community. They're ambivalent about it.

Do you know that in my hometown, the old people actually brag about how great Washington D.C was before integration?

"Ohh, those were the days!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I get all kinds of mixed messages from the older community. They're ambivalent about it.

Do you know that in my hometown, the old people actually brag about how great Washington D.C was before integration?

"Ohh, those were the days!"

Washington DC is nowhere near the Jim Crow South. You need to start educating yourself on what life was really like then.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:46 PM

808 posts, read 1,680,997 times
The last thing I need is white people telling me where I can and can't go more than they already do.

For a lot of people the only difference between Jim Crow and today is they can't be blatant about their discrimination.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,064 times
It won't.

Economic segregation is the new racism.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
The last thing I need is white people telling me where I can and can't go more than they already do.

For a lot of people the only difference between Jim Crow and today is they can't be blatant about their discrimination.

It works both ways. There are neighborhoods in the East Bay owned by blacks. They make it clear that whites and Mexicans better stay clear. We see the same thing in Los Angeles, or just about any big city.

They are all equally wrong. The real discriminating factor is money. The Chinese have invaded Palo Alto. Whites need not apply.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Washington DC is nowhere near the Jim Crow South. You need to start educating yourself on what life was really like then.
That's a misconception. Washington D.C is well below the Mason-Dixon line, has always been a typical southern city like all the rest, and was just as legally segregated as Mobile Alabama or anywhere else in the deep south.

And besides, my family is originally from Texas, and didn't get to D.C until they were almost grown. That's what I was talking about when I said the "Jim Crow South".

Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,485,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
What would America look like?
I hope to God that never happens. I remember as a kid, I couldnt hold it any longer and went in the "colored" bathroom. Someone (not my family) grabbed me and spanked me when I came out

That's why the thread on black dorm at UConn pissed me off so much. I don't ever want to see those days again.

Not sure why this thread exists

Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,485,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It won't.

Economic segregation is the new racism.
Bullkaka, there are enough poor whites out there

Old 02-09-2016, 03:22 PM

13,682 posts, read 20,832,357 times
Quote:
Ask your grandparents what would happen to them in the Jim Crow South if a black person spoke their mind to a white person, or looked a white person in the eye instead of at the ground. Ask them what happened to black people who tried to register to vote, or sit at a lunch counter or go to a hotel and be denied entry because of the color of their skin. Ask them what would happen if a black person needed to go to a hospital, and would be denied entry because of the color of their skin. Principle? really? Rosa parks was arrested for not giving her seat up on a bus to a white man. Principle?

Jim Crow went farther than the separate water fountains and bathrooms. The rights you enjoy today and take for granted are built on the bodies of the people who died fighting for their civil rights, both black and white.

Jesus, read your history, then actually COMPREHEND what you are reading.
Some very good points. I agree with you.

However, in Tritone's defense, I have heard the occasional African-American say similar things. Jim Crow was a moral abomination, but it also gave the black community a common enemy. When you have that, you tend to bond and stay united. Your community has a focal point and thus other ills do not emerge or are dealt with easily.

But again, you are ultimately correct.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Life during segregation:

People had fun, lived life, and have fond memories of those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies